• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1972 BMW R75/5 - Valve Push Rod

b25bsaboy

Good evening to you all,

Pulled the heads and cylinder barrels off the 72 BMW R75/5 and to my surprise I discover that the value push rods are not all the same and one in particular had no holes on each end for the oil gallery. I thought this odd, as all the R75 & R 100 were the same with these small holes.

Is this something to be concerned about, as I am thinking of replacing all of them.

Unless you buy a bike from the original owner with low miles, you are likely to find all sorts of deviate goings on.
You can replace them all if you wish, but I would point out that the motor was running that way at some place in time. Push rods are, essentially, long spacers, nothing more. My understanding of the oiling system does not indicate an oil gallery anywhere near the push rods.

Good evening to you all,

Pulled the heads and cylinder barrels off the 72 BMW R75/5 and to my surprise I discover that the value push rods are not all the same and one in particular had no holes on each end for the oil gallery. I thought this odd, as all the R75 & R 100 were the same with these small holes.

Is this something to be concerned about, as I am thinking of replacing all of them.

Thank you for the response to my question for the valve push rod question. Late last night I contacted a re-seller and wanted to buy some value push rods from him that he had for sale that looked correct and they were 10.75" long. He came back to me this morning and advised that I needed part # 11 32 1 259 607 push rod they changed in 09/75 they are 27.5mm or inches? long. Now I am confused, as I think that there is a mis print on his email response:banghead

open your thumb and forefinger......Make the "C" that is about 28mm...….The wrench size for your swing arm locknut is 27mm...…….Perhaps you are the fella means centimeters.

Measure ALL OF YOUR EXISTING devices, 4, and I bet that is the size you need. Probably need to have metric.....

Back