Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K1200LT Who actually replaces the shocks and springs on these bikes? Too Expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Economically worthwhile? Certainly not if I were to take into account the value of each machine....
    I see our bikes as having two values: the current market value, or the cost of a replacement bike should it be sold. If the replacement bike is a new unit, then that value could be significant.

But this thread has been interesting for me, as I had never considered the cost of maintenance as a proportion of current bike value.
    Last edited by Rinty; 10-08-2018 at 01:42 AM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    I see our bikes as having two values: the current market value, or the cost of a replacement bike should it be sold. If the replacement bike is a new unit, then that value could be significant.

But this thread has been interesting for me, as I had never considered the cost of maintenance as a proportion of current bike value.
    I agree with this line of thinking. I do all the work on all my vehicles, so the 'cost' of something that gets quoted is rarely my actual cost. To me these bikes seem like absurdly good values right now. I recently bought two of them. A 2002 and a 2005, and I have about $5K invested in both. Another $500 in parts and maintenance items and both are road worthy. While I didn't set out to buy two, it just sort of worked out that way. And having only $2K in a running bike that is in amazing condition...well I just can't bring myself to sell it.

So unless you are expecting to have some kind of ROI that is other than the enjoyment of riding it, I'm afraid you're in for a disappointment. In the end almost every vehicle has depreciation, it's just that these have depreciated all that they feasibly can have done now.

So buy some tools and learn to work on it yourself. It'll be worth it.

The typical used market price of a particular bike can't accurately reflect the real condition ESPECIALLY when it comes to an LT. You can buy a $2000 LT that needs $2000 worth of rear main seal and clutch work and $1000 more in suspension. That doesn't mean the bike wasn't worth $2000, it just means that the end product is worth more than $2000. But you'd have a hard time getting the $5000 at resale because every seller has to compete against the $2000 bikes.

I see this with older bikes like this a lot... it's very common to do work in my shop that costs roughly the street price of the bike. It's not that the work is unreasonably expensive, it's that the street price of the bike is inaccurate because it doesn't account for the variety of repairs that are needed (or the fact that none are actually needed). There's a hidden sliding scale of actual value that is hard to assess when buying a used bike.

In the OP's case, if his suspension has been dead for years and other things have been let go to a similar extent, it's likely to be technically worthless as a bike due to the deferred maintenance costs, but still worth close to that mythical street price in the used market. Buyer beware.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    In the OP's case, if his suspension has been dead for years and other things have been let go to a similar extent, it's likely to be technically worthless as a bike due to the deferred maintenance costs, but still worth close to that mythical street price in the used market. Buyer beware.
    Anton,

That is exactly the case with our 2002 K1200RS. She was 10 years old with 62,000 miles on the odo and we were the sixth owner.

Everything was worn out and/or leaking. Most all the rubber bits were rotted.

Didn't matter...I wanted that particular bike. I did my own work, which may have cost me a bit more in the long run due to me damaging the rear fork (swing arm).

I've put 30,000 miles on her with Wanda on the back and I've started planning our next restoration around 100k or so. Time to do a clutch and spruce her up in the process.

Rotti is our third K1200RS and hopefully with the right maintenance and available parts I'll keep her on the road for years to come.

And...yup she isn't sellable for half of what I put into her. She gives us pleasure and that "pays" for the maintenance.

When my K12RS was nearing 40k miles, I figured I'd soon be needing new shocks. I found a similar bike for sale that needed some TLC, but had the electronic Ohlins on it. I swapped the Ohlins to my bike, and put mine on the other bike, did it's service work, and resold it.
    Didn't make any money on reselling the other K, but I got myself a rare set of Ohlins for nothing but my labor.

Other than the ability to adjust damping on the fly, I'm hard pressed to find a lot of improvement. Could be my numb butt.

I remain reminded about the fellow who had a crapped out rear shock - no rebound damping - that tried to leave Alaska with a good friend of mine. The name shall not be mentioned. But after his rear shock stopped damping rebound he was tossed into the weeds and suffered a few broken bones. Boing boing boing. Not fun. If you choose to not keep your bike in good working order, go buy a Prius or Taurus or some safe thing.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    Back your preload adjuster out counter clockwise all the way with the LT on the centerstand. Turn it clockwise if you don't feel tension within 1/2 turn you need to fill the adjuster with hydraulic fluid. If you need to fill it PM me with a phone number & I'll talk you through it.
    Dave,

Did the OP ever make the effort to follow up with you?

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Dave,

Did the OP ever make the effort to follow up with you?

Never heard anything from the OP.
    Dave Selvig
    2008 Black LT
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    Never heard anything from the OP.
    Didn't sound like he was really searching for answers. More like looking for support for deferring maintenance because of cost.

Last edited by 98lee; Yesterday at 04:40 AM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Didn't sound like he was really searching for answers. More like looking for support for deferring maintenance because of cost.

See post #21
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

3 Red Bricks
    I didn't THINK he would find much approval for his method here.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare