Thread: 2008 R1200RT No Communications to ABS

2008 R1200RT No Communications to ABS

I'm sure there are posts on this issue but couldn't find anything specific.

Scan results are:
    Computer diagnostic performed: multiple faults present related to the inability of the system to communicate with the ABS module
    Active faults present: S 0382 No communication to ABS, 0027EC DME: CAN message (from the ABS) missing, 009311 Instrument panel: CAN message (from the ABS) missing. 009312 Instrument panel: Speed signal CAN message (from ABS) not being received, 009EOC RDC: CAN message, missing vehicle speed, OOA31B ZFE: CAN message (from the ABS) missing, OOE507 RBT: Speed signal, no CAN bus
    Inactive faults present: 002904 Idle actuator 1 / idle actuator

Can't get the unit rebuilt, "no communication"

My reaction is just to replace the ABS module, seems like an easy call but I'm new to the BMW and tend to oversimplify things. Should I be checking something else before I go down this road?

Also, indications are, ABS light solid, no speedometer, in ability to change preload, rear brake light on

Replacing the module may be well north of $2,000. I've lost track of what Module Masters can and cannot fix but I hope a few more folks more up to date can pipe in here.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

A call or email to Module Master should go a long way towards revealing what your problem is and if they can rebuild your unit: tel:208-892-0764 / info@modulemaster.com
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Did you just go in and find the bike like it this, or was there an "event" that triggered it? How is your battery health?
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Checked with Module Master already, they can not fix communications error so the question is is this likely to be the ABS module or is it something in between? Also, there is a note on the MM website that states "IMPORTANT: In rare cases, reprogramming these modules onto a different motorcycle than the original can cause the EPROM to fail, and it will trigger a permanent coding error. To avoid this as much as possible, we suggest using the original control module whenever possible." NO event, I bought the bike over the weekend. Didn't realize it was a communication failure. Figured I could just pull the unit and have it rebuilt.
    Last edited by sbrider; 10-01-2018 at 10:33 PM.

2008 R1200RT No Communications to ABS Update

Picked up and installed a used ABS module (I believe it was out of a 2011 GS) and it synced up fine... All is well, my bargain RT should be on the road this afternoon. I think after talking with dealer the sync failure is rare.