Thread: Oilhead Throttle Body Question

RK Ryder

Oilhead Throttle Body Question

Apparently BMW changed the cable setup on the Oilheads' throttle bodies and I was wondering if anyone might know which production year these changes were made.
    Last edited by Paul_F; 10-01-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Apparently BMW changed the cable setup on the Oilheads' throttle bodies and I was wondering if anyone might know which production year these changes were made.
    They made two significant changes that I know of. But I don't know the years precisely. The original setup used one cable: twistgrip to left throttle body, do a U turn and cross over to the right throttle body. The change went to the bell crank box under the tank with a single cable and then two separate cables to the throttle body. That was around 1996. [Added: It looks like this change was September, '96.]

Later they had an issue with cable breakage up at the twistgrip and redesigned how the cable was routed and attached at the top end. I had to have that change made to my '03 R1150 so am guessing that was in '04 or '05 or so. [Added: Looking at Real OEM it looks like this change was in August '04, so for the '05 models.]

Hopefully somebody can clarify this.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    They made two significant changes that I know of. But I don't know the years precisely. The original setup used one cable: twistgrip to left throttle body, do a U turn and cross over to the right throttle body. The change went to the bell crank box under the tank with a single cable and then two separate cables to the throttle body. That was around 1996. [Added: It looks like this change was September, '96.]

Later they had an issue with cable breakage up at the twistgrip and redesigned how the cable was routed and attached at the top end. I had to have that change made to my '03 R1150 so am guessing that was in '04 or '05 or so. [Added: Looking at Real OEM it looks like this change was in August '04, so for the '05 models.]

Hopefully somebody can clarify this.
    I wish to know if I did my last throttle body sync correctly. The reason I'm asking is I've done about 3 or 4 throttle body syns, which were always, at least for me, bit of a pain adjusting the two cables. This spring when I last did one, I adjusted the BBS on both sides but only the right hand side cable. Not only did this make the job much easier but the bike also ran much better than in the past.

The reason I only adjusted the one cable was I remembered once when having a dealer do the job, the head mechanic joking apologized for the job taking so long as his assistant had taken off the wrong piece of body work. At a later visit when I quizzed him, he told me that both sides need to be worked on, which seem to contradict what he had said previously.

With a '98 R1100RT, do I need to adjust one or two cables?
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I wish to know if I did my last throttle body sync correctly. The reason I'm asking is I've done about 3 or 4 throttle body syns, which were always, at least for me, bit of a pain adjusting the two cables. This spring when I last did one, I adjusted the BBS on both sides but only the right hand side cable. Not only did this make the job much easier but the bike also ran much better than in the past.

The reason I only adjusted the one cable was I remembered once when having a dealer do the job, the head mechanic joking apologized for the job taking so long as his assistant had taken off the wrong piece of body work. At a later visit when I quizzed him, he told me that both sides need to be worked on, which seem to contradict what he had said previously.

With a '98 R1100RT, do I need to adjust one or two cables?
    I always adjusted the left cable to have about 2 mm free play and ignored it after that until I felt way too much free play up at the twistgrip. During routine synch's I just matched the right side to the left side and everything was happy camper time.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I do the same as Paul. Here is a link to a maintenance manual that explains the process.

https://ibmwr.org/original/r-tech/oi...ce_2-25-02.pdf
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours