Thread: Starting problem

Starting problem

After filling up with gas I was unable to start my bike with the clutch handle pulled in. After a few minutes of checking the clutch switch wire (not much can be done with this since it is enclised and connected under the tank) I put the bike in neutral and it started without issue.

Once I got home I checked the connector under the tank and all is good i.e. power at the connector from the starter circuit and continuity across the connector from the lever side. I was able to repeatedly start the bike in neutral so it is a clutch switch circuit issue I believe.

Any where to go next? Starter circuit locations?

Thanks,
    Charlie

1992 R100R, 46k miles
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R

If you can't start the bike in gear with the clutch handle pulled in, then your clutch safety switch is no longer working. Replace it. If you ignore it and your neutral switch gets slow or fails entirely you won't be able to start your bike at all. There's a bypass in the relay box but I don't know it. Someone will mention it.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    If you can't start the bike in gear with the clutch handle pulled in, then your clutch safety switch is no longer working. Replace it. If you ignore it and your neutral switch gets slow or fails entirely you won't be able to start your bike at all. There's a bypass in the relay box but I don't know it. Someone will mention it.
    Thanks Michael, I was about to order the switch then got an email about testing the switch again which Iíll do tonight. I have continuity across the switch terminals when I depress the switch so it may be something else.....
    Charlie
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R

If this was an older bike 1984 on back except the R65. I would say the diode ont board in the head light bucket had gone bad. I could tell how I bypassed this diode on my R90. But looking at your year the the starter relay has the diode made into that may cause the same problem.
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, 2015 Ural Patrol, 1959 TR3A Triumph Car

Starting Problem

I had the same problem on my 1980 RT .Took clutch switch apart all good.It was connection under tank.After pulling it apart and putting it back together it work .

Solution

Turns out it was a defective starter relay. A new relay is on the way along with the clutch switch, even though the switch tested ok upon further inspection the plunger was not deploying smoothly and completely. Thanks to all for the suggestins?
    Charlie
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R