• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another new member from PA

Hello from the Allentown, PA, area. New to MOA, new to BMWs, and indeed fairly new to motorcycling. I got my license through the MSF training course just two years ago at the tender age of 50+, realizing an old but just never important enough dream. I was riding a mid-size cruiser in my first riding season last year; figured that was a good starter and not to much loss in case of an 'oops'. After covering 3000 incident- and accident-free miles last year, most of it with the missus on the pillion, she judged me sensible and prudent enough in this matter for us to move on to the bike that would take us anywhere (including Patagonia some time the future; maybe...) So when a well equipped 2009 1200GS with only 2K miles on the odo presented itself early this year, basically brand new in and out and at an attractive price, we could not say no. And we love every mile we have traveled on it so far.

If you have suggestions for interesting roads to ride in the Lehigh Valley area, especially within 50 miles or so for easy 0.5 - 1 day trips at the weekend, I would love to know them. Gravel and reasonable dirt roads are fine; serious off-roading is not my thing (not even on the GS). Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the group!

Check out the ride through the Delaware Water Gap, route 209 - easy riding and very pretty (especially if the leaves are turning!).

Also check out New Hope on any weekend, alongside the Delaware River just south of route 202.

The low mountains to your north and west have lots of great roads, too - enjoy!

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you have found a great deal on a great bike that should be well suited for two up riding :thumb
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

Hello from the Allentown, PA, area. New to MOA, new to BMWs, and indeed fairly new to motorcycling. I got my license through the MSF training course just two years ago at the tender age of 50+, realizing an old but just never important enough dream. I was riding a mid-size cruiser in my first riding season last year; figured that was a good starter and not to much loss in case of an 'oops'. After covering 3000 incident- and accident-free miles last year, most of it with the missus on the pillion, she judged me sensible and prudent enough in this matter for us to move on to the bike that would take us anywhere (including Patagonia some time the future; maybe...) So when a well equipped 2009 1200GS with only 2K miles on the odo presented itself early this year, basically brand new in and out and at an attractive price, we could not say no. And we love every mile we have traveled on it so far.

If you have suggestions for interesting roads to ride in the Lehigh Valley area, especially within 50 miles or so for easy 0.5 - 1 day trips at the weekend, I would love to know them. Gravel and reasonable dirt roads are fine; serious off-roading is not my thing (not even on the GS). Thanks in advance!

Congrats on getting the bike and welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the group!

Check out the ride through the Delaware Water Gap, route 209 - easy riding and very pretty (especially if the leaves are turning!).

Also check out New Hope on any weekend, alongside the Delaware River just south of route 202.

The low mountains to your north and west have lots of great roads, too - enjoy!

Thank you for the suggestions, Pauls1150! I have been to New Hope, cruising down along the river from Easton on Rts 611 and 32. Fun!. The Water Gap I will put on my list for the fall, maybe up on Rt. 209 and back through the Poconos ....

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you have found a great deal on a great bike that should be well suited for two up riding :thumb
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

Thank you for the Welcome, OM! Yes, I was really lucky there with this bike and could not be happier. More importantly, my BH is happy, too! (Although she can't get over the clunking sound when shifting gears - "you sure a BMW is supposed to sound like that??", "Yes, sweetheart, from all I have read that's exactly how it's supposed to sound like.")

Welcome and enjoy the GS...I have an 09 as well and still a do it all ride...yours isn't even broken in yet...not even close:thumb

Welcome and enjoy the GS...I have an 09 as well and still a do it all ride...yours isn't even broken in yet...not even close:thumb

Thanks, henzilla. Yes, I gathered as much. Great excuse to rev it hard every now and then. At least my wife has been buying that explanation.... :laugh

Back