Thread: need to trailer an RT in Santa Cruz, CA about 15 miles

need to trailer an RT in Santa Cruz, CA about 15 miles

sometime in the next few weeks I need to move an RT with a non-functioning clutch, any ideas would be useful
    Signature

Do you have a tow vehicle that can pull a U Haul motorcycle trailer?

Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I am wondering if the OP can even push the bike onto the trailer when he states "non-functioning clutch", and therefore is asking for advise on how to even "push" the bike onto the trailer. Since I doubt he will be even able to ride it onto the trailer, ie cannot start the bike.
    2010 R1200RT
    Sargent Low Heated Driver Seat
    2007 Burgman 400 - Sold
    Now DFW, TX, used to live - Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by etiennelau View Post
    I am wondering if the OP can even push the bike onto the trailer when he states "non-functioning clutch", and therefore is asking for advise on how to even "push" the bike onto the trailer. Since I doubt he will be even able to ride it onto the trailer, ie cannot start the bike.
    Last year in Texas the clutch slave went out on my wife's 2016 R1200RS.
    One of the guys at the rally was able to push it into his enclosed trailer by himself.
    I would not be comfortable doing it by myself but it's not hard for two people to push a bike up a ramp into a trailer with a low floor.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

need to trailer an RT in Santa Cruz, CA about 15 miles

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    sometime in the next few weeks I need to move an RT with a non-functioning clutch, any ideas would be useful
    I live in Santa Cruz County and have a truck and open landscaping trailer with a wheel chock installed. I keep it at our property about 100 miles east, but Iím back and forth every weekend.

Happy to help as I can.

PM me if I can be of assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    <Insert witty comment here>
    Central California Coast
    2002 R1150GSA

Quote Originally Posted by etiennelau View Post
    It ought to be OK to roll in neutral.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    As long as it isn't some sort of critical clutch issue and terrain pending, 15 miles without a clutch should be no big deal.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by collinsbrianm View Post
    I live in Santa Cruz County and have a truck and open landscaping trailer with a wheel chock installed. I keep it at our property about 100 miles east, but Iím back and forth every weekend.

Happy to help as I can.
    Very generous offer
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Thanks everyone and brian especially.

Its not a good 15 miles with lots of stops. I could try dawn and see if I could avoid 1st by rolling lights and stops. I thought it out a bit before posting this. its not the best answer if it can be avoided.

Rear wheel spins in neutral of course.
    Signature

I ended up riding it the long way up and over the mountains where I only had four stop signs I was obligated to stop at but they were all rural and its amazing how slow you can go in 1st. By the time I got home I was up and downshifting very smoothly without the clutch. Its actually something I am going to practice. Thanks again for all the input etc.
    Signature

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    I ended up riding it the long way up and over the mountains where I only had four stop signs I was obligated to stop at but they were all rural and its amazing how slow you can go in 1st. By the time I got home I was up and downshifting very smoothly without the clutch. Its actually something I am going to practice. Thanks again for all the input etc.
    Knew you could do it
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thanks Gary. I remembered being 18 y/o when the clutch cable broke on my 1965 VW Variant S. The one time I had to stop to get it home my buddy and I jumped out and pushed it as fast as we could and jumped in. I slipped it in 1st and off we went!

It was a fun adventure Saturday morning doing that. The road was almost empty and it was a beautiful fall morning. It would have been silly doing it any other way now that I look back at it.
    Signature

Glad ya got it all sorted Chris!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    <Insert witty comment here>
    Central California Coast
    2002 R1150GSA

Thanks Brian. Thanks again for offering up the trailer and the nice chat on the phone. We will definitely need to ride together soon.
    Signature

I had the clutch cable snap on my 1981 Chevette diesel (please don't go there...). I simply stalled it at a stop light and then re-started it in 1st gear. It had enough torque to just take off!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511