• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

need to trailer an RT in Santa Cruz, CA about 15 miles

Do you have a tow vehicle that can pull a U Haul motorcycle trailer?

471089d1462582625-anyone-ever-used-a-rented-u-haul-bike-trailer-img_1900.jpg

I am wondering if the OP can even push the bike onto the trailer when he states "non-functioning clutch", and therefore is asking for advise on how to even "push" the bike onto the trailer. Since I doubt he will be even able to ride it onto the trailer, ie cannot start the bike.

I am wondering if the OP can even push the bike onto the trailer when he states "non-functioning clutch", and therefore is asking for advise on how to even "push" the bike onto the trailer. Since I doubt he will be even able to ride it onto the trailer, ie cannot start the bike.

Last year in Texas the clutch slave went out on my wife's 2016 R1200RS.
One of the guys at the rally was able to push it into his enclosed trailer by himself.
I would not be comfortable doing it by myself but it's not hard for two people to push a bike up a ramp into a trailer with a low floor.

sometime in the next few weeks I need to move an RT with a non-functioning clutch, any ideas would be useful :)

I live in Santa Cruz County and have a truck and open landscaping trailer with a wheel chock installed. I keep it at our property about 100 miles east, but I’m back and forth every weekend.

Happy to help as I can.

PM me if I can be of assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It ought to be OK to roll in neutral.

As long as it isn't some sort of critical clutch issue and terrain pending, 15 miles without a clutch should be no big deal.
OM

I live in Santa Cruz County and have a truck and open landscaping trailer with a wheel chock installed. I keep it at our property about 100 miles east, but I’m back and forth every weekend.

Happy to help as I can.

Very generous offer :thumb:thumb

Thanks everyone and brian especially.

Its not a good 15 miles with lots of stops. I could try dawn and see if I could avoid 1st by rolling lights and stops. I thought it out a bit before posting this. its not the best answer if it can be avoided.

Rear wheel spins in neutral of course.

I ended up riding it the long way up and over the mountains where I only had four stop signs I was obligated to stop at but they were all rural and its amazing how slow you can go in 1st. By the time I got home I was up and downshifting very smoothly without the clutch. Its actually something I am going to practice. Thanks again for all the input etc.

I ended up riding it the long way up and over the mountains where I only had four stop signs I was obligated to stop at but they were all rural and its amazing how slow you can go in 1st. By the time I got home I was up and downshifting very smoothly without the clutch. Its actually something I am going to practice. Thanks again for all the input etc.

Knew you could do it :thumb
Gary

Thanks Gary. I remembered being 18 y/o when the clutch cable broke on my 1965 VW Variant S. The one time I had to stop to get it home my buddy and I jumped out and pushed it as fast as we could and jumped in. I slipped it in 1st and off we went!

It was a fun adventure Saturday morning doing that. The road was almost empty and it was a beautiful fall morning. It would have been silly doing it any other way now that I look back at it.

Thanks Brian. Thanks again for offering up the trailer and the nice chat on the phone. We will definitely need to ride together soon.

I had the clutch cable snap on my 1981 Chevette diesel (please don't go there...). I simply stalled it at a stop light and then re-started it in 1st gear. It had enough torque to just take off!

I had the clutch cable snap on my 1981 Chevette diesel (please don't go there...). I simply stalled it at a stop light and then re-started it in 1st gear. It had enough torque to just take off!

Wish Tapatalk had a “Wow” button :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back