• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why did you buy a BMW?

I just wanted a flip face helmet and to ride with the folks in all the funny gear:jester

And H showed up on her Roadster instead of her HD...time to try a funny looking bike! :dance

:wave WHY is a good question? It was 2001 and after raising a family I wanted to get back into riding again. My dad wanted to sell his 1973 R75/6. I rode it for three years but just did not care for it, too much maintenance. I sold it. The spring of 2005 working in Tacoma I stop at the BMW shop. They had 2004 models on a good deal bought a '04 R1150R [the silver fox]. Loved that bike, so much better that the R75/6. Just needed bags , a good windshield and heated grips. I sold it at the Redmond ,OR. rally. Now on my third BMW an '07F800ST. :thumb

My brother wanted the K100RS when they were first introduced. I had had Kawasaki's for a few years but when I saw the K100RS for the first time I knew I had to have one. Since that first BMW it's been the BMW community as much as their bikes that has kept us on BMWs. :dance

I only owned Kawasaki's before getting the BMW. My chiropractor and friend Stan Botway owned and rode BMWs for decades all over hell and creation and it impressed the hell out of me. I almost bought his R1100RT when he stopped riding and I regret it. I got my R1200RT instead. Anyway, Stan is one of the reasons I got it. That and serendipity. I tried other brands and one of the dealers sold BMWs too. I wanted to try the K1200LT, but it was EOL and he didn't have any left, but had a leftover RT. I tried it and liked it. If it wasn't for Stan, I wouldn't have been open to owning one.

I had decided that once my kids were out of the house and well on their own, my wife and I would get back into motorcycling as I’ve had bikes, in one form or another, most of my life. We both love to travel and explore this country via the roadways. I also wanted a machine that was both comfortable and dependable for long distances. When it came down to make a purchase the final choice was between a K1200LT and a Goldwing. We test rode both and chose the KLT hands down for comfort and style. As I got older the LT became a bit too much to handle in slow or stop and go traffic, especially when fully loaded, so I had it converted to a trike. We use the KLT for the long distance trips of usually more than 4 days or when hauling the Aspen camper. But I did miss the 2 wheel experience occasionally and I still wanted to do some shorter distance traveling closer to home so the RT fit that billet perfectly. Now we use the RT for day trips of those 3 days or less. IMO these are the best and most dependable for our traveling enjoyment…….:thumb

Attachments

• IMG_0083-1.jpg
    IMG_0083-1.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0184-1.jpg
    IMG_0184-1.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 2009 R1200RT-1.jpg
    2009 R1200RT-1.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 167
The year was 2011. After owning 7 Honda Gold Wings over many years, I was convinced that Honda was going to come out with a new generation Wing, so in August of 2011, I sold my Wing.

I was bikeless in Arizona and my friend Bill (a long-time BMW rider) suggested I visit his favorite BMW dealer, Iron Horse BMW in Tucson. I replied, "There's no way I can afford a BMW." Having never been in a BMW dealer before, I was under the mistaken impression that they cost way too much.

Well, I walked into Iron Horse and there was a beautiful 2012 R1200RT. It was love at first sight! The perfect motorcycle for me as it was less expensive than a new Wing and a lot lighter.

I've been hooked on RTs ever since and how own a 2018 R1200RT in Mars Red.

My only regret is that I didn't discover BMW motorcycle a whole lot earlier in my riding career.

Hmmm...about that new R1250RT...

for looong rides, which I haven't had the time to do yet, but I'm working on it

I did the same thing. My Harley SuperGlide has 90K on it; I demoed a bunch of new touring bikes last year in Daytona, including BMW, wasn't crazy about any of them. Came back north, went to a dealer, rode the K1600 GT and bought it on the spot. It moves like it's my best friend. Love the bike. Going to CA with it in July.

My Doc told me I have stage IV Prostate cancer. With long term planning now out the door and since this may well be the last bike I buy, a luxury bike with a 3 year warranty made sense.

In 1986 I was riding an '83 Honda VF750F Interceptor and looking for a new bike. BMWs with the cylinders poking out the sides didn't perform well enough and looked goofy to my 27 year old brain. The K100RS though, that was a different story. There were plenty of '85s available in '86 at a discount during that time, so that was my first foray into BMWs. Loved that bike and think they still look great. I've owned a lot of Ducatis and another '85 K100RS for a short while that I bought '95.

Having an older brother that regularly traded for new BMWs, I got to sample a lot of boxer twins and newer gen K bikes. I know it's sacrilege to many, but the hex and cam head boxers just never did it for me, and the lightness and handling of Ducatis turned me away from K bikes. I hadn't owned a BMW for 20 years, but when the '16 R1200RS was announced, I was smitten. A test ride on one was all I needed, the new water cooled 1200 was much more fun to ride to me and the '13 Multistrada 1200 was traded. After 3 years and 43k miles on the RS, I traded it and a '17 Ducati Multistrada 950 on a R1250GS this winter, really enjoy it so far. The 1250 motor is another nice step up in performance.

The boxer engine always facinated me.

I've been through all kinds of bikes over the past 40 yrs and have wanted the r1100RS since 1999 when I first saw one but didn't have the funds. Came across a used 99 last Sept. and jumped on it . Have ridden it 5000 miles since and I like its modern but old school look without all the fancy electronics. I' am now intrigued with the Royal Enfield Himalayan for the exact same reason.

A friend was selling his F650

I've liked BMWs for years because friends have had them. Used to like Harleys until one woke me up every morning at 5am :violin.

Got this one from a friend - haven't ridden it much because I'm still waiting to get my endorsement. It'll let me learn a lot before going into traffic.

2000 F650 Funduro:

IMG_2994 (3).jpg

Got this one from a friend - haven't ridden it much because I'm still waiting to get my endorsement. It'll let me learn a lot before going into traffic.

2000 F650 Funduro:

Happy Trails with your sensible decision. Believe you'll have a lot of Fun on that Funduro!
Should be a damn good starter bike! Be safe, go explore, and then move up to your next peg so to speak.
Keep the rubber side down, that's the goal...
HSV-Phil

Thanks for the encouragement!

Happy Trails with your sensible decision. Believe you'll have a lot of Fun on that Funduro!
Should be a damn good starter bike! Be safe, go explore, and then move up to your next peg so to speak.
Keep the rubber side down, that's the goal...
HSV-Phil

Why did you buy a BMW?
I've always liked the BMW boxers, ever since I couldn't afford to buy one (R75/5) back in 1972. Just liked the way they looked. I still do.

But today, I have multiple BMWs because of the dealership here in Tucson, IronHorse M/C. Great bunch of people. I trust them.

Was a young fighter pilot stationed in Germany mid-80s. Fell in love with the look, sound, and style of the BMW. Fast forward to bringing home a new 94 K75RT. Sold it when my son was 1. He's now graduating from college and got the bug again. Bought a new to me 2011 one 70yr old owner R1200R. Loved the flying brick but adore the boxer motor. Headed to the NC mountains next month.

Attachments

• K75RT_1.JPG
    K75RT_1.JPG
    842.4 KB · Views: 36
  • New to mev1.jpg
    New to mev1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 36
Back