Thread: MOA NY license plates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb MOA NY license plates

I was looking at getting custom plates for my next bike, and I saw there's a custom plate for the Harley Owners Group (picture and link below). We should submit the forms to make a MOA plate for NY members!

harley-owners-mc-2013.png
    https://dmv.ny.gov/plates/harley-own...oup-motorcycle

This page has a link to a PDF form to submit to request a new organization plate (the PDF is too large to attach):

https://dmv.ny.gov/plates/learn-abou...ssional-plates
    Last edited by dovfrankel; 12-10-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Did you read the part about the minimum number of plates to be considered before NYS will issue a special interest plate? Not sure the MOA would qualify. Given the "frugal" nature of many BMW riders, not just MOA riders, you may be one of the few with the plate.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Yeah, I did see that. Is 200 members really that many? Not sure how many other New Yorkers there are in MOA. I figured if the Harley guys could do it, then we could

I used to run custom plates until New York decided that instead of paying once, you could pay extra every year to retain the plate.
    They gouge me in too many other ways to bother with that.

Quote Originally Posted by fmdualexhaust View Post
    I used to run custom plates until New York decided that instead of paying once, you could pay extra every year to retain the plate.
    They gouge me in too many other ways to bother with that.
    I agree, that is annoying, but they also switched everyone onto the ugly gold colored plates, leaving the custom ones as the only reasonable-looking options.

Question

What would be the best way to poll NY members to gauge interest? If we could safely say there would be 200 members who would switch to them in the next two years, then would it be doable (if, say more than 250 people commit)? What about a quick post in the monthly ON magazine?

Montana has near 100 specialty plates available, but not for motorcycles. On the upside, motorcycle registraions are permanent. Do it once for around $60, most of which is a county fee, and you are registered for as long as you own the bike.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Montana has near 100 specialty plates available, but not for motorcycles. On the upside, motorcycle registraions are permanent. Do it once for around $60, most of which is a county fee, and you are registered for as long as you own the bike.
    Boy, that would help our yearly budget on license renewals
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Boy, that would help our yearly budget on license renewals
    The same rule applies to RVs and trailers. There are companies that facilitate out of state people registering their RVs here. Cars and pick-ups have an annual fee that is fairly stiff.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I pay about $70 a year per bike. But I pay no state income tax. And property taxes are comparable per $100K to other states I have lived. Ditto the sales tax.

You have to take the whole picture: income tax, sales tax, property tax, vehicle tax (registration), etc to decide the economics of your choice where to live. One measure is not sufficient. Kids in college getting their Doctorate degrees based their dissertations on this topic. I am not persuaded by a tweet or forum post on these issues. YMMV
    Last edited by PGlaves; 12-02-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Kansas is recalling 371 car licenses because the six digit numbers include three numbers and the the three letters JAP. This is considered a pejorative racial slur by a San Francisco resident who saw such a Kansas license plate and complained.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/