Thread: MOA NY license plates

Lightbulb MOA NY license plates

I was looking at getting custom plates for my next bike, and I saw there's a custom plate for the Harley Owners Group (picture and link below). We should submit the forms to make a MOA plate for NY members!

harley-owners-mc-2013.png
    https://dmv.ny.gov/plates/harley-own...oup-motorcycle

This page has a link to a PDF form to submit to request a new organization plate (the PDF is too large to attach):

https://dmv.ny.gov/plates/learn-abou...essional-plate

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Did you read the part about the minimum number of plates to be considered before NYS will issue a special interest plate? Not sure the MOA would qualify. Given the "frugal" nature of many BMW riders, not just MOA riders, you may be one of the few with the plate.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Yeah, I did see that. Is 200 members really that many? Not sure how many other New Yorkers there are in MOA. I figured if the Harley guys could do it, then we could

I used to run custom plates until New York decided that instead of paying once, you could pay extra every year to retain the plate.
    They gouge me in too many other ways to bother with that.

Quote Originally Posted by fmdualexhaust View Post
    I used to run custom plates until New York decided that instead of paying once, you could pay extra every year to retain the plate.
    They gouge me in too many other ways to bother with that.
    I agree, that is annoying, but they also switched everyone onto the ugly gold colored plates, leaving the custom ones as the only reasonable-looking options.

Question

What would be the best way to poll NY members to gauge interest? If we could safely say there would be 200 members who would switch to them in the next two years, then would it be doable (if, say more than 250 people commit)? What about a quick post in the monthly ON magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by dovfrankel View Post
    What would be the best way to poll NY members to gauge interest? If we could safely say there would be 200 members who would switch to them in the next two years, then would it be doable (if, say more than 250 people commit)? What about a quick post in the monthly ON magazine?
    The MOA won't release a membership list, but at a cost they will (or at least used to be willing to) send a mailing on behalf of a legitimate request. When we were trying to start a club we had the MOA send letters to a handful of zipcodes. Probably the costs will outweigh the benefit but at least you could email or telephone Bob Aldrich and inquire.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 10-01-2018 at 12:42 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by dovfrankel View Post
    A number of years ago I surveyed the NY Airheads when these vanity plates were first available. Less than 20 people said they were willing to incur the extra cost each year to the already expensive annual registration fee. BTW, are you a member of the Airheads Beemer Club? www.airheads.org

Friedle
    ABC Board of Directors
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Ride fast safely

Several years ago, I coordinated this effort for the MD folks in BMWBMW (Bikers of Metro Washington (DC)). Minimum for MD was 25, and it took forever to get 25 signed up for the initial batch. I think we may now be up to about 45 issued plates.
    Whoever leads the effort needs to be prepared for a possible long process for the initial work. You need an ongoing 'ambassador' willing to coordinate new signups as well. Not a ton of effort, but ongoing.
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Less than 20 people said they were willing to incur the extra cost each year to the already expensive annual registration fee. www.airheads.org

Friedle
    Sure, but you were surveying Airheads.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Sure, but you were surveying Airheads.
    Yep, I admitted that up front. What are you saying Paul, that Airheads are cheaper than the other BMW riders???? I would suggest that they were a good test case for the feasibility of pursuing the idea. Look at the experience in MD where they only needed 25 respondents, not a minimum of 200 like in NY.

Just curious, do they have vanity MOA (or any organization ) plates in TX? Okay, let's cast a wider net. Do ANY other states have a MOA vanity plate?

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Yep, I admitted that up front. What are you saying Paul, that Airheads are cheaper than the other BMW riders???? I would suggest that they were a good test case for the feasibility of pursuing the idea. Look at the experience in MD where they only needed 25 respondents, not a minimum of 200 like in NY.

Just curious, do they have vanity MOA (or any organization ) plates in TX? Okay, let's cast a wider net. Do ANY other states have a MOA vanity plate?

Friedle
    Not in Texas that I know of. Texas Longhorns, Clemson Tigers, Dallas Cowboys, etc. I have seen. Not BMW MOA.

Airheads

Friedle
    Airheads cheap I will poll some of the ones I know after they stop crying about the $5 membership increase and ask them if they are frugal spenders