Thread: New Member from Vestavia, AL

New Member from Vestavia, AL

Thinking about purchasing a new 2018 GSA. Never owned a BMW so naturally I have some questions. How well does the communication setup work for receiving phone calls through the bike? Does the GSA have the capability of powering heated riding gear? Does the stock wind screen provide adequate rain protection for the face area? Are oil and filter changes something that could easily be performed by the owner? Need to save $$$ where I can. How reliable and trouble free is the shaft drive? Never owned a shaft drive motorcycle? Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the family. I live in Hoover, and lots of ALABEEMERS own GS's & GSA's. I own a '15 RT. Answers to all your questions -- "Yes".
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    Welcome to the family. I live in Hoover, and lots of ALABEEMERS own GS's & GSA's. I own a '15 RT. Answers to all your questions -- "Yes".
    Thank you J for answering my questions. My Harley can do all the things I was concerned about in my post. If I can work a good deal, then I will make the purchase. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hpyrider View Post
    Thank you J for answering my questions. My Harley can do all the things I was concerned about in my post. If I can work a good deal, then I will make the purchase. Thanks again.

Can't really answer your questions about the GSA, I can tell you that the RT is better protection from wind and rain than my Electra Glide was, the shaft drive is about as much trouble as the Kevlar belt, except it doesn't seem to catch rocks like the belt did, and I've no plans to return to the Harley Fold as of this time. Also, by way of comparison, it's nice to be able to keep up with traffic. I loved my Harleys, but it's sad when 20 year old pick-up trucks outperform you on the highway. Hope you enjoy your GSA!

Quote Originally Posted by Stebe View Post
    Can't really answer your questions about the GSA, I can tell you that the RT is better protection from wind and rain than my Electra Glide was, the shaft drive is about as much trouble as the Kevlar belt, except it doesn't seem to catch rocks like the belt did, and I've no plans to return to the Harley Fold as of this time. Also, by way of comparison, it's nice to be able to keep up with traffic. I loved my Harleys, but it's sad when 20 year old pick-up trucks outperform you on the highway. Hope you enjoy your GSA!
    Hi Stebe
    Thanks for the input. I had to spend $$$$ to get 98 hp out of my 17 street glide. What is funny, the stock gs gets 125 hp right out the box. Nothing to do and still get over 125 mph. I never intend to go that fast. However it is nice to be able to get around other vehicles when needed. Ride safe. Thanks again.

Thinking about purchasing a new 2018 GSA. Never owned a BMW so naturally I have some questions. How well does the communication setup work for receiving phone calls through the bike? Does the GSA have the capability of powering heated riding gear?
    I don't have a GSA so I may be wrong.
    To receive phone calls I would think you would need the optional TFT display or the BMW Navigator GPS.
    Newer BMWs can not handle the load of most heated gear through the accessory outlet on the bike.
    Most of us wire a pigtail directly to the battery for heated gear.

Did you see there will be a new engine in 2019?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't have a GSA so I may be wro
    To receive phone calls I would think you would need the optional TFT display or the BMW Navigator GPS.
    Newer BMWs can not handle the load of most heated gear through the accessory outlet on the bike.
    Most of us wire a pigtail directly to the battery for heated gear.

Did you see tlhere will be a new engine in 2019?
    Thanks Lee for the info. I did see the information on the 2019's. I'm always concerned about new models of anything. The shift cam looks complex and could have hidden bugs. We probably won't know for sure until the new models get into the hands of riders. My heated gear is hooked directly to my battery on my street glide. When I get the gs, I'll do the same since the Beemer can't handle the load through the auxiliary power outlet. Thanks again for the advice.

Purchase Offewr

Well, I pulled the trigger and made an offer on a new 2018 R 1200 GS premium low. I was very satisfied with the answers and suggestions I received from an earlier post. Harley has a great dealer network. I hope BMW has the same. You never know what can happen on the open road.

Congratulations!

Well, I pulled the trigger and made an offer on a new 2018 R 1200 GS premium low. I was very satisfied with the answers and suggestions I received from an earlier post. Harley has a great dealer network. I hope BMW has the same. You never know what can happen on the open road.
    Congratulations on your new GS, I have a GSA and think it is fantastic. I might suggest using the break in period to get used to the throttle (maybe in Rain mode), low speed maneuvering with the friction zone, and the excellent brake performance of these extraordinary bikes. These have a high center of gravity but are so well balanced I think you will be impressed.

Have fun!

Chris