• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Project Bike, or What? - ’98 R1100RT with Clutch Problems and 260k miles

teells

The clutch on my trusty 1998 R1100RT ABS, finally gave up the ghost making the bike un-rideable in its current condition. Up until this happened, the bike has been the most reliable, rock-solid bike I’ve ever owned, with about 260k miles on the odo. I’ve decided to sell the bike rather than repair it as repairs could easily get into the $1,200 range. Plus, it’s one of three m/c’s I have and it’s time to let one go.

My question: What’s the best way to sell a bike with that many miles? (I was hoping to get a few hundred bucks for it. I don’t see project bikes like this in the Marketplace.) I’d sure hate to see this bike get parted-out at a scrap yard of sorts.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim E.

2008 R1200RT, 1998 R1100RT, 1993 900SS DucatiIMG_3462_chop.jpg

Looks pretty good for a quarter million miler!
I’d buy it but I’m too far away to arrange feasible transport costs.
It’s worth a small fortune as parts. High PITA factor though.

The clutch on my trusty 1998 R1100RT ABS, finally gave up the ghost making the bike un-rideable in its current condition. Up until this happened, the bike has been the most reliable, rock-solid bike I’ve ever owned, with about 260k miles on the odo. I’ve decided to sell the bike rather than repair it as repairs could easily get into the $1,200 range. Plus, it’s one of three m/c’s I have and it’s time to let one go.

My question: What’s the best way to sell a bike with that many miles? (I was hoping to get a few hundred bucks for it. I don’t see project bikes like this in the Marketplace.) I’d sure hate to see this bike get parted-out at a scrap yard of sorts.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim E.

2008 R1200RT, 1998 R1100RT, 1993 900SS DucatiView attachment 70663

I would like to buy it. I have the exact bike but a 1999 and I would like a second one as a hot spare and bike for my sons I know how to work on. Please PM me! I live in Corralitos and commute on the 1999 RT to the westside every work day.

Well there you go! Normally selling and buying is not allowed in the forums but in this case the most likely outcome for a bike with this kind of mileage is that when something expensive goes it ends up being a parts bike. That said, if it were mine I'd replace the clutch myself and keep riding it assuming there is nothing else wrong with the bike. Labour rates especially in dealerships is killing old bikes these days making service and repair unaffordable for the average owner. So you either learn to do our own repairs and maintenance or have a healthy bank account so you can trade them in every few years on new ones.

So you should PM CHRISINSC and sell him the bike. Sounds like he's keen to keep it on the road and giving his sons a learning experience as part of the deal sounds like a great outcome to me! This approach and attitude is what keeps the airheads going and it works quite well! I think bike history will treat the oilheads really well. They are a pretty amazing machine and reliability wise they are racking up some serious mileage for a LOT of owners.

Thanks Everyone!

Looks like ChrisInSC and I live about 10 miles apart so hopefully we can get the deal done and help keep RTs on the roads :)

Happy Wanderer, you're absolutely right about the need to be able to do the work yourself. The beauty of these Oilheads is they lend themselves to it fairly well.

Hey ChrisInSC!

I have a 1999 RT in the same color. Let me know if you decide to part this out at all. I could really use a right side mirror assembly.

Sorry, I would not part out a vehicle that wasn't bent :)

I am a recycle/reuse guy. I currently have a silver right hand mirror on my own bike! I tape them to the bike now with blue masking tape.

What am I missing? The ABS on that bike going bad just means no ABS. Otherwise the bike rides just fine.

Jim :brow

"The clutch on my trusty 1998 R1100RT ABS, finally gave up the ghost ..."

This sentence clearly states, in plain normal English, that the clutch on his ABS gave up the ghost. Now, since most of us know that the ABS doesn't have a clutch, we might infer that he means something else. Which brings up one of many of my pet peeves. Since almost all R1100RT bikes have ABS it is not necessary to use "ABS" in the description of the motorcycle any more than it is necessary to say R1100RT SD (shaft drive) or CC (cable clutch) or TL (Telelever). This is especially true when the defect being described "clutch ... gave up the ghost" is essentially the same problem whether the bike perchance has ABS or not. The fact that it does have ABS is only relevant because the ABS unit is in the way when removing the transmission to repair/replace the clutch.

But enough of this: I need to go put a battery in my K75 ABS SD FF CC PT AW bike. :)

And maybe one of the mods can now re-title the thread to: "A short exercise in Lexical Semantics." :D

How do you spell clutch?

Oops, I didn't read the text, nor the title apparently.

PS Clutches are pretty easy.

PPS No wonder people run away from the MOA forum. Sad state of affairs when a person makes a mistake, and instead of trying to help the OP, everyone prefers to dogpile on a post mistake instead.

PPS No wonder people run away from the MOA forum. Sad state of affairs when a person makes a mistake, and instead of trying to help the OP, everyone prefers to dogpile on a post mistake instead.

No different from the other bike forums. Give these guys an inch....Nice looking website you have. I’ll be sure to reference it.

This is quite tame really. Check out Sailing Anarchy if you want to see true unregulated forum behavior :)

Oops, I didn't read the text, nor the title.

Oh, c'mon Jim. The guys are just having a little fun. None of these comments were meant in a mean or nasty way.

This forum is no different then any other one I have viewed. It's just human nature. Nothing malicious at all. In all sincerity, a solution was not offered by him either.
Get out and do some riding and lighten up a little.

Oh, c'mon Jim. The guys are just having a little fun. None of these comments were meant in a mean or nasty way.

So, given that the op and I have had numerous communications offline this forum and that he is not a frequent poster here, i should have added to my previous post that though folks who are forum veterans make quite a bit of room for good natured rants in the context of years of inside jokes and gaffs forgiven, people popping in can easily miss this silliness we take for granted and just see their thread get crapped on and leave. I can say this is not good in any case. Hopefully the op will forgive us.

Back