Thread: New Member from Vestavia, AL

Cool New Member from Vestavia, AL

Greetings from Vestavia Alabama. Just joined the BMWMOA today. I do not currently own a BMW motorcycle but am considering purchasing an R1200GS. My ride is a 2017 Harley Street Glide with many extras. This coming February, I will have been riding 60 years. I am now 74 and good health. I took a test ride on a 2018 r 1200 gs just last week but could not pull the trigger on the purchase. I liked the bike in every respect, except the price. I joined this club so I can learn more about the gs from members who are knowledgeable about BMWs and gs' in particular. Also looking forward to hearing from those who have crossed over from Harleys to BMWs. I like my Harley but looking for something lighter and more versatile. It looks like the gs is about 300 pounds less than my sg. So, looking forward to learning from you members. Have a great day.

Welcome! Birmingham area?

Welcome 'Bama

I chuckled at the price thing...my last H-D was more than any of the Beemers we bought since. Did actually trade an 05 Heritage for an 05 GS back then...never looked back or regretted the swap. Still ride anything with two wheels, so never question the rides of others...all fun.
    A lot of us here have or currently have multi brands including H-D's. The biggest adjustment was the height difference for me, didn't take too long after the grin took over.The handling and braking of the flat twin GS is top notch above many touring bikes, it does a lot of things well.
    Not quite at your age or riding years, but close enough to say if it feels right, do it.
    The GS can turn into your current ride as far as adding farkles for comfort, looks, protection, on a regular basis...that does cross brands more than some will admit here

Welcome again and good luck!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

And nothing wrong with a used model...takes the big sting away and a lot of add ons already in place.

The previous Camhead prior to the water cooled current model are sorted out and a good buy. I still have an 09 GSA and until I wear it out, still does what I need it to do. We are a two rider household and the next newer bike is not going to be mine, but that's OK.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Angry

Thank you for the additional info. The price thing....don't know what I was thinking. I have $30K plus in the street glide. Problem is the dealer only wants to give me wholesale for my trade. Oh well, live and learn.