• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

hitch for 2015 r1200rt

1wingnut

hello,looking for info on hitch for 2015 r1200rt. thinking about the dmc or bushtec hitch any comments about fit and finish will be appreciated.How much clearance on muffler as I have an Aropovic muffler. how about fit of "slip in"ball mount is it good "rattle free" fit? Pictures would be extra sweet!! Thanks Dan

BMW does not recommend pulling a trailer with any of its motorcycles, nor does any other motorcycle manufacturer. Trailers can screw up handling and have caused motorcycle crashes, some fatal. They may also invalidate warranties.

Some riders ride many miles pulling trailers. I am glad they were successful. You will hear from them. They were lucky.

If a trailer is needed, put the motorcycle on it, not in front of it.

Thanks for the reply and your concern. But i didn't buy a bike to trailer it across this great country of ours. And i'm used to do things that others don't recommend

While it might not be specific to your bike, you should probably look around and do some searching in the Sidecars and Trikes forum area. I'm sure there's been discussions about hitches.

I did a search with google typing in "site:bmwmoa.org bushtec"...got a lot of hits. Check it out.

@bmwdean: Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Ok, that's said and out in the open... If you don't like the fact that folks do things that are DANGEROUS, STFU...

I have the DMC hitch on my '15 RT. I love it, and they are great to work with. I have pulled a Kwik Kamp and my new single wheel trailer from Third Wheel Trailers in Ontario. The best recommendation is the get a hitch pin that had a nut you can use to reduce the play in the draw bar. I use a hitch pin from Lets Go Aero called the Silent Hitch Pin and it locks the draw bar down tight.

@bmwdean: Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Ok, that's said and out in the open... If you don't like the fact that folks do things that are DANGEROUS, STFU...

I have the DMC hitch on my '15 RT. I love it, and they are great to work with. I have pulled a Kwik Kamp and my new single wheel trailer from Third Wheel Trailers in Ontario. The best recommendation is the get a hitch pin that had a nut you can use to reduce the play in the draw bar. I use a hitch pin from Lets Go Aero called the Silent Hitch Pin and it locks the draw bar down tight.

Thanks for the info, hows the clearance between hitch and side luggage boxes and muffler? I have Aropovic muffler but i think that gives me more clearance because muffler is smaller. Thanks Dan

Here's some shot I took after the install...

i-K42MGfL-X3.jpg
i-4J45rgc-XL.jpg

It clears everything. What you can't do is have the hitch and guards on for the luggage at the same time. They use some of the same mounting points.

BMW does not recommend pulling a trailer with any of its motorcycles, nor does any other motorcycle manufacturer. Trailers can screw up handling and have caused motorcycle crashes, some fatal. They may also invalidate warranties.

Some riders ride many miles pulling trailers. I am glad they were successful. You will hear from them. They were lucky.

Yes, riding a motorcycle is much more dangerous than driving a car. As riders we accept that. But riding a motorcycle while pulling a trailer is much more dangerous than riding a motorcycle without one. If you accept that additional danger, I wish you good riding and good luck.

If a trailer is needed, put the motorcycle on it, not in front of it.

That was helpful!

I can't believe you ride a motorcycle, you know they are dangerous, don't you?

I have pulled a trailer for tens of thousands of miles. There are things to be aware of, slower acceleration, longer braking distance for two. IMO, what ever it is worth, a trailer adds very little danger to riding a motorcycle as long as the rider is aware.

I don't know of any motorcycle manufacturer that allows trailer towing, except for the CanAm Spyder, but that is a trike. I believe manufacturers do not allow towing as a cover your a$$ deal. To many trailers to test, to many hitch manufacturers to test, so just play it safe and just say no.

As an adjunct, BMW has not recommended that a sidecar be attached since the days of the /2. Nonetheless there are countless successfully integrated BMW sidecar rigs running around the planet. I see many of them at every BMW MOA rally and actually hear a lot more about two wheel carnage than I do three wheel or trailer carnage. Yes - I do know that there a lot more two wheelers so this is to be expected.

As an adjunct, BMW has not recommended that a sidecar be attached since the days of the /2.

Harley is in a similar deal. They supplied side cars for years, but, I believe it was in 2009 when they did a major frame change in the touring frame that Harley no longer allowed side cars. My bet is the demand was near zero so they didn't do ant testing for side cars and the newer frame. Just a CYA move IMO.

I'm looking to put a hitch on my '18 RT, for those of you with the DMC, can you remove the rear tire without removing the hitch or any part of it?

How do those pulling trailers get around the RT's CANBUS when wirinng to trailer lights into the loom?

I recently rode a two month, 19,500km lap of Australia, and was able to carry all I needed on the bike, without needing a trailer. That load inlcuded a tent, air bed, sleeping bag, Kermit chair and all my other bits and bobs.

As far as the wiring, with my 2018 RT and Unigo trailer. With the Unigo it is easier because the trailer lighting is similar to the motorcycle. I put LED bulbs in the trailer and wired it directly to the RT's taillight wiring, it works fine. I never tried it with incandescent bulbs I am pretty certain it would not work. There are wiring isolators available if you want to separate the trailer load from the motorcycle.

If you have a trailer with "normal" trailer lighting with two brake and tail lights you will need an isolator.

Thanks Dave, I ordered one today. FYI Ive been in contact with the folks at Hex, they are working on a revision to the gen 2 ezcan which will allow it to be programmed to drive tail light blinkers and brake lights for trailers and side cars.

hitch

hello,looking for info on hitch for 2015 r1200rt. thinking about the dmc or bushtec hitch any comments about fit and finish will be appreciated.How much clearance on muffler as I have an Aropovic muffler. how about fit of "slip in"ball mount is it good "rattle free" fit? Pictures would be extra sweet!! Thanks Dan

i've been using a bushtec for a year or so now and about 12000 miles with absolutely no problems! mounting hitch and wiring was a pain as one would expect but fit and finish is nice as can be and barely noticeable.i also pull a bushtec trailer with air ride and can only tell its there at interstate speeds and heavy crosswind! like others have said there are inherent dangers pulling a trailer with anything,use some common sense and you'll have no problems.... ride safe and keep cool!!

Back