Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Helmet Purchase

I recently switched from Schuberth C3 modular to Arai Signet full-face (see my early post in this thread for some background). For no specific reason--but a general "feeling" of wanting something different--I tried on the new Arai at Engle Motors. Fit awfully well, felt completely comfortable and I ordered the color (white) I wanted. I am getting better at putting it on with my earplugs and have found it to be quieter than even the Schuberth, obviously the full-face design is inherently quieter than the modular. The major improvement is the ventilation: the Arai has much better air movement than the Schuberth.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Find a dealer that carries the brands your looking at, then try them on if they’ll let you test ride do so
    If you find the right helmet, buy it, i’ve Pulled out my smartphone in the past and looked at internet prices for parts and accessories, parts manager has always cut me some slack on price, sure beats the hassle of returns for wrong size

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I recently switched from Schuberth C3 modular to Arai Signet full-face (see my early post in this thread for some background). For no specific reason--but a general "feeling" of wanting something different--I tried on the new Arai at Engle Motors. Fit awfully well, felt completely comfortable and I ordered the color (white) I wanted. I am getting better at putting it on with my earplugs and have found it to be quieter than even the Schuberth, obviously the full-face design is inherently quieter than the modular. The major improvement is the ventilation: the Arai has much better air movement than the Schuberth.
    My Arai Quantum is still the most quiet helmet I've ever owned. I'm also currently in a Schuberth C3 modular (certainly the quietest modular I've ever owned), but will seriously consider returning to an Arai when the Schuberth ages out.

Regarding putting on your helmet with ear plugs...have you ever tried using a helmet liner? I use the BMW branded one and have found it cooler in the summer, warmer in cold weather and it makes sliding the helmet on over ear plugs a breeze.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    My Arai Quantum is still the most quiet helmet I've ever owned. I'm also currently in a Schuberth C3 modular (certainly the quietest modular I've ever owned), but will seriously consider returning to an Arai when the Schuberth ages out.

Regarding putting on your helmet with ear plugs...have you ever tried using a helmet liner? I use the BMW branded one and have found it cooler in the summer, warmer in cold weather and it makes sliding the helmet on over ear plugs a breeze.
    X2 regarding the helmet liner.

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post

Never tried a helmet liner, but several riding buddies use them and have recommended them to me. I might try one.

Re: your use of an Arai Quantum and possibly moving to a Schuberth. The Arai Quantum is designed primarily for a rounder head (sometimes referred to as "Asian" shape) while the Schuberth is designed primarily for an oval head (sometimes referred to as "European" shape). If the Quantum fits you perfectly, then it is doubtful that the Schuberth will also fit perfectly. That is why I went from the Schuberth to an Arai Signet vice the Arai Quantum. Arai, thankfully for me, makes a model for each type/shape of head so make sure your dealer knows what he/she is doing when fitting you.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Never tried a helmet liner, but several riding buddies use them and have recommended them to me. I might try one.

Re: your use of an Arai Quantum and possibly moving to a Schuberth. The Arai Quantum is designed primarily for a rounder head (sometimes referred to as "Asian" shape) while the Schuberth is designed primarily for an oval head (sometimes referred to as "European" shape). If the Quantum fits you perfectly, then it is doubtful that the Schuberth will also fit perfectly. That is why I went from the Schuberth to an Arai Signet vice the Arai Quantum. Arai, thankfully for me, makes a model for each type/shape of head so make sure your dealer knows what he/she is doing when fitting you.

Good luck.
    My Arai Quantum was from quite a few years ago (have gone through several modulars since then) and at that time the Quantum fit an oval head. I've been wearing the Schuberth C3 Pro for about 3 years now and it's been a perfect fit. Thanks for the tip...looks doubtful that the current Quantum would fit and if I did go back to an Arai, I would try the Signet first.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

I've been wearing Nolan modular helmets for many years now, having owned 4 different models. I'm not going to say the well-priced Nolan's are quite as luxurious as the mega-dollar Schuberth's, they aren't, but for me there are two requirements for a helmet: that they fit me right (thankfully the Nolan's do); and that they are safe. The thing I look at with a modular helmet is "Does the helmet stay closed when it all goes bad and you face-plant on the road?" Fortunately we have the British SHARP testing for helmets, and one of the tests they do is whether the helmet latch on the modular helmets stays closed during testing. If you go to their site and search on "System Helmets" (apparently the British call modular helmets that) it will call up a list of all the modular helmets they've tested. And only one brand of helmet has scored 100% at what they call "latch %" (staying closed during testing) for every single helmet ever tested in the SHARP testing: Nolan. They have never had a helmet open in testing. They are 8-for-8 (5 Nolan's and 3 X-Lite's, their "luxury brand). Even the vaunted Schuberth has not managed that. Some of the brands of helmet on the list are downright scary, actually opening in the MAJORITY of the testing. So while Nolan's aren't "the perfect helmet", they fit me and are in my view the safest modular helmet out there.

Here's a link to the site, it should go straight to the modular helmet list:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?ma...rer=All&type=3
    jZ
    There is some perverse beauty about being up in the air looking down at your bike during a high-side get-off.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmermanj View Post
    I've been wearing Nolan modular helmets for many years now, having owned 4 different models. I'm not going to say the well-priced Nolan's are quite as luxurious as the mega-dollar Schuberth's, they aren't, but for me there are two requirements for a helmet: that they fit me right (thankfully the Nolan's do); and that they are safe. The thing I look at with a modular helmet is "Does the helmet stay closed when it all goes bad and you face-plant on the road?" Fortunately we have the British SHARP testing for helmets, and one of the tests they do is whether the helmet latch on the modular helmets stays closed during testing. If you go to their site and search on "System Helmets" (apparently the British call modular helmets that) it will call up a list of all the modular helmets they've tested. And only one brand of helmet has scored 100% at what they call "latch %" (staying closed during testing) for every single helmet ever tested in the SHARP testing: Nolan. They have never had a helmet open in testing. They are 8-for-8 (5 Nolan's and 3 X-Lite's, their "luxury brand). Even the vaunted Schuberth has not managed that. Some of the brands of helmet on the list are downright scary, actually opening in the MAJORITY of the testing. So while Nolan's aren't "the perfect helmet", they fit me and are in my view the safest modular helmet out there.

Here's a link to the site, it should go straight to the modular helmet list:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?ma...rer=All&type=3
    Thanks for the SHARP link. It makes me feel even better about my Nolan N100-5 which, by the way, is a great helmet so far. Fit and finish is excellent and the viewport is one of the largest I've seen. Peripheral vision is excellent.
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65

Quote Originally Posted by rguy View Post
    Thanks for the SHARP link. It makes me feel even better about my Nolan N100-5 which, by the way, is a great helmet so far. Fit and finish is excellent and the viewport is one of the largest I've seen. Peripheral vision is excellent.
    rguy, glad to hear that about the N100-5 as that is what I will get to replace my N90 in a couple years. I felt the N90 series was quite an improvement over the N-100 and N103, so I bet the N100-5 is as much a leap over the N90's. Now if only Nolan wasn't making it so difficult to attach my Sena SMH-10 communicators ...
    jZ
    There is some perverse beauty about being up in the air looking down at your bike during a high-side get-off.