• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helmet Purchase

Yep. I'm apparently not immune from Stupid Tax. :bluduh

I can only hope that it's not the full amount. I'd hate to waste $2,400 on 2 helmets we can't use.

I suspect the worst case is they won't take them back but you can get most of your money back selling them to somebodies they fit. Good luck.

Schuberth comments

I second the thoughts on trying them on. Nothing counts more than comfort, whatever brand you choose.

I have a Schuberth C3 Pro and am generally OK with it, except it seems to have inadequate ventilation which leads to fogging up in humid conditions, which then requires me to pop open the faceshield to clear it. I wear glasses when I ride so I do not use the little secondary anti-fog screen (since my glasses fogged whether the secondary fog screen was there or not.) I am thinking of drilling some holes in the faceshield, small ones that I could plug if I didn't like the results. The Schuberth is noticeably lighter than some other helmets.

I had originally bought the Schuberth because they were reputed to be quiet, and I was having trouble listening to my audio. However, even my Schuberth was not nearly quiet enough for me to hear my audio well so I purchased some Splugs (hard-wired ear buds). They work well.

I had tried on a Schubert (in another a far away State, on a multi-State ride) and knew exactly what size I wanted so I ordered mine online from Italy and saved a couple hundred bucks.

One irritation with Schuberth is the cost of replacement faceshields, about $90. If I were to by another helmet I'd factor the faceshield replacement costs into my decision. As it is, I've figured out how to take the scratches out of them and polish them, but if the faceshields were about 1/3d the price I'd prefer to buy new ones.

Try the Shoei modulars, which I think are a close competitor to Schuberth. I tried one on and liked it (but am staying with my Schuberth.)

Just to be clear, I tried it on. I wore it around the dealership for about 10 or 15 minutes. It was tight, to be sure, as has been every helmet I've ever purchased. The difference here was that other helmets started to conform, at least somewhat, to my head when out riding. This one was trying to reshape my head instead. Since my hat size is 7 3/4, and my head circumference is 62.5 cm, and the helmet is listed as 7 7/8 and suitable for 63cm head, I thought it would break-in.

It thought I should.

Irresistable force, meet immovable object.

That said, I accept responsibility. I was overly excited at the idea of having built in intercom. All that Bluetooth / FM radio etc. was just frosting on the cake. I made an impulsive purchase. It seems to be a fine helmet. I'm about to find out if the BMW dealer in Nashville is willing to work something out with me. We'll see.

Just to be clear, I tried it on. I wore it around the dealership for about 10 or 15 minutes. It was tight, to be sure, as has been every helmet I've ever purchased. The difference here was that other helmets started to conform, at least somewhat, to my head when out riding. This one was trying to reshape my head instead. Since my hat size is 7 3/4, and my head circumference is 62.5 cm, and the helmet is listed as 7 7/8 and suitable for 63cm head, I thought it would break-in.

It thought I should.

That said, I accept responsibility. I was overly excited at the idea of having built in intercom. All that Bluetooth / FM radio etc. was just frosting on the cake. I made an impulsive purchase. It seems to be a fine helmet. I'm about to find out if the BMW dealer in Nashville is willing to work something out with me. We'll see.

Just anecdotal on my part:

I had a pressure spot with my Schuberth on my forehead that was really an irritant after about 15 minutes.

I took my ball peen hammer, and pressed the peen into the area of the offensive pressure, for a depth of about 1mm. It relieved the pressure point, and has been fine for 2 years.

NOTE: did not use the hammer as a hammer...:)

Stebe
On my C3 that fit way to tight, Schubert changed out my liner for one that was for a larger size(thinner liner)
This helped, but it was still snug, so I put 2 10pound bags of lead shot in the upside down helmet, rotated helmet so all sides and top got compressed. Fits perfectly now and for the last 50,000 miles
Only replaced recently with a new C4 with SC1 comm

Just anecdotal on my part:

I had a pressure spot with my Schuberth on my forehead that was really an irritant after about 15 minutes.

I took my ball peen hammer, and pressed the peen into the area of the offensive pressure, for a depth of about 1mm. It relieved the pressure point, and has been fine for 2 years.

NOTE: did not use the hammer as a hammer...:)

I actually considered doing just that. I was afraid of screwing up the flip-down sun shade. As it turns out, the BMW shop in Nashville was willing to exchange them for a pair of different helmets and intercoms. Derrick, the counter-man, was very helpful throughout the whole process. :dance

Meanwhile, just to round out the whole life experience, the front transmission bolts on my zero-turn mower decided to fall out yesterday, :banghead AND, just for shiggles, the battery on my 2 year old Subaru came to a fizzling end. :hungover The car was about 40 yards from a parts store, :thumb so, not too much fuss there. The mower, however, is going to require work. :uhoh

Anyone buy the AGV carbon sport modular? Have a Schuberth C3 (4 years) and it is time to replace it. Bought a C4 last week and after reading too many critical reviews about the comm system, just returned it (never rode with it).

Going to look for a local dealer to try the AGV.

Schuberth C3 > Nolan N100-5

Anyone moved from the C3 to the N100-5?

My trusty C3 is getting tired and I am looking for a replacement. Hard to find direct comparison online.

It thought I should.

So, the End-o-Story:

Derrick at Bloodworth BMW in Nashville exchanged the helmets for a pair of Bell modular helmets, Sena 30K comm systems, and a partial refund. I haven't set up the communications systems yet, but went for a 100 mile ride yesterday in the new helmet and it is quite possibly the most comfortable helmet I've worn in the last few decades.

Kudos to Derrick! The folks at Bloodworth have always been good to me. The mechanics tend to look at me like I might be an idiot, but don't all mechanics do that? :dunno

I recently switched from Schuberth C3 modular to Arai Signet full-face (see my early post in this thread for some background). For no specific reason--but a general "feeling" of wanting something different--I tried on the new Arai at Engle Motors. Fit awfully well, felt completely comfortable and I ordered the color (white) I wanted. I am getting better at putting it on with my earplugs and have found it to be quieter than even the Schuberth, obviously the full-face design is inherently quieter than the modular. The major improvement is the ventilation: the Arai has much better air movement than the Schuberth.

Find a dealer that carries the brands your looking at, then try them on if they’ll let you test ride do so
If you find the right helmet, buy it, i’ve Pulled out my smartphone in the past and looked at internet prices for parts and accessories, parts manager has always cut me some slack on price, sure beats the hassle of returns for wrong size

Jim

I recently switched from Schuberth C3 modular to Arai Signet full-face (see my early post in this thread for some background). For no specific reason--but a general "feeling" of wanting something different--I tried on the new Arai at Engle Motors. Fit awfully well, felt completely comfortable and I ordered the color (white) I wanted. I am getting better at putting it on with my earplugs and have found it to be quieter than even the Schuberth, obviously the full-face design is inherently quieter than the modular. The major improvement is the ventilation: the Arai has much better air movement than the Schuberth.

My Arai Quantum is still the most quiet helmet I've ever owned. I'm also currently in a Schuberth C3 modular (certainly the quietest modular I've ever owned), but will seriously consider returning to an Arai when the Schuberth ages out.

Regarding putting on your helmet with ear plugs...have you ever tried using a helmet liner? I use the BMW branded one and have found it cooler in the summer, warmer in cold weather and it makes sliding the helmet on over ear plugs a breeze.

My Arai Quantum is still the most quiet helmet I've ever owned. I'm also currently in a Schuberth C3 modular (certainly the quietest modular I've ever owned), but will seriously consider returning to an Arai when the Schuberth ages out.

Regarding putting on your helmet with ear plugs...have you ever tried using a helmet liner? I use the BMW branded one and have found it cooler in the summer, warmer in cold weather and it makes sliding the helmet on over ear plugs a breeze.

X2 regarding the helmet liner.

Never tried a helmet liner, but several riding buddies use them and have recommended them to me. I might try one.

Re: your use of an Arai Quantum and possibly moving to a Schuberth. The Arai Quantum is designed primarily for a rounder head (sometimes referred to as "Asian" shape) while the Schuberth is designed primarily for an oval head (sometimes referred to as "European" shape). If the Quantum fits you perfectly, then it is doubtful that the Schuberth will also fit perfectly. That is why I went from the Schuberth to an Arai Signet vice the Arai Quantum. Arai, thankfully for me, makes a model for each type/shape of head so make sure your dealer knows what he/she is doing when fitting you.

Good luck.

Never tried a helmet liner, but several riding buddies use them and have recommended them to me. I might try one.

Re: your use of an Arai Quantum and possibly moving to a Schuberth. The Arai Quantum is designed primarily for a rounder head (sometimes referred to as "Asian" shape) while the Schuberth is designed primarily for an oval head (sometimes referred to as "European" shape). If the Quantum fits you perfectly, then it is doubtful that the Schuberth will also fit perfectly. That is why I went from the Schuberth to an Arai Signet vice the Arai Quantum. Arai, thankfully for me, makes a model for each type/shape of head so make sure your dealer knows what he/she is doing when fitting you.

Good luck.

My Arai Quantum was from quite a few years ago (have gone through several modulars since then) and at that time the Quantum fit an oval head. I've been wearing the Schuberth C3 Pro for about 3 years now and it's been a perfect fit. Thanks for the tip...looks doubtful that the current Quantum would fit and if I did go back to an Arai, I would try the Signet first.

I've been wearing Nolan modular helmets for many years now, having owned 4 different models. I'm not going to say the well-priced Nolan's are quite as luxurious as the mega-dollar Schuberth's, they aren't, but for me there are two requirements for a helmet: that they fit me right (thankfully the Nolan's do); and that they are safe. The thing I look at with a modular helmet is "Does the helmet stay closed when it all goes bad and you face-plant on the road?" Fortunately we have the British SHARP testing for helmets, and one of the tests they do is whether the helmet latch on the modular helmets stays closed during testing. If you go to their site and search on "System Helmets" (apparently the British call modular helmets that) it will call up a list of all the modular helmets they've tested. And only one brand of helmet has scored 100% at what they call "latch %" (staying closed during testing) for every single helmet ever tested in the SHARP testing: Nolan. They have never had a helmet open in testing. They are 8-for-8 (5 Nolan's and 3 X-Lite's, their "luxury brand). Even the vaunted Schuberth has not managed that. Some of the brands of helmet on the list are downright scary, actually opening in the MAJORITY of the testing. So while Nolan's aren't "the perfect helmet", they fit me and are in my view the safest modular helmet out there.

Here's a link to the site, it should go straight to the modular helmet list:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=All&type=3

I've been wearing Nolan modular helmets for many years now, having owned 4 different models. I'm not going to say the well-priced Nolan's are quite as luxurious as the mega-dollar Schuberth's, they aren't, but for me there are two requirements for a helmet: that they fit me right (thankfully the Nolan's do); and that they are safe. The thing I look at with a modular helmet is "Does the helmet stay closed when it all goes bad and you face-plant on the road?" Fortunately we have the British SHARP testing for helmets, and one of the tests they do is whether the helmet latch on the modular helmets stays closed during testing. If you go to their site and search on "System Helmets" (apparently the British call modular helmets that) it will call up a list of all the modular helmets they've tested. And only one brand of helmet has scored 100% at what they call "latch %" (staying closed during testing) for every single helmet ever tested in the SHARP testing: Nolan. They have never had a helmet open in testing. They are 8-for-8 (5 Nolan's and 3 X-Lite's, their "luxury brand). Even the vaunted Schuberth has not managed that. Some of the brands of helmet on the list are downright scary, actually opening in the MAJORITY of the testing. So while Nolan's aren't "the perfect helmet", they fit me and are in my view the safest modular helmet out there.

Here's a link to the site, it should go straight to the modular helmet list:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=All&type=3

Thanks for the SHARP link. It makes me feel even better about my Nolan N100-5 which, by the way, is a great helmet so far. Fit and finish is excellent and the viewport is one of the largest I've seen. Peripheral vision is excellent.

Thanks for the SHARP link. It makes me feel even better about my Nolan N100-5 which, by the way, is a great helmet so far. Fit and finish is excellent and the viewport is one of the largest I've seen. Peripheral vision is excellent.

rguy, glad to hear that about the N100-5 as that is what I will get to replace my N90 in a couple years. I felt the N90 series was quite an improvement over the N-100 and N103, so I bet the N100-5 is as much a leap over the N90's. Now if only Nolan wasn't making it so difficult to attach my Sena SMH-10 communicators ...

Back