• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Skid Plate advice

bourasma

I have a 2016 f800GS and my next purchase is a skid plate and I need help selecting a good skid plate, I’m wondering how it will affect oilchanges and maybe the double stand? They run from $53 on eBay to over $400??
Any help will be appreciated

I’m running the factory skid plate. It’s been fine so far. It’s been a while since I put it on so there is a chance there has been some advances in design.
OM

There are many good options available depending on what level of protection you expect to need. Almost all of them are superior to the BMW original unit. The plate I have unfortunately is no longer made, but has the features I deem of critical importance. It is thick enough to withstand serious impacts at 4mm, it extends far enough back to protect the catalytic converter, it protects the oil filter and oil cooler on the front. Removing it to do oil changes is a minimal task taking only a minute or two, so not really an issue nor does it affect the center stand operation. This should be typical for almost any plate you choose. Mostly it will come down to price and availability for you and of course appearance if that concerns you.

Annie has an AltRider skid plate and crash bars on her 2014 F800GS. She also has AltRider protection on her R12GS, but runs the factory skid plate. The AltRider kit is well made, fits well and sturdy.

I have the Altrider Skidplate. Definite improvement over the plastic stock skid plate. It is robust and extends up to protect the oil filter and cooler. I found it second hand for about half price. I didn't pull the trigger on one of the cheap Chinese one advertised on eBay and thats due to my lack of confidence in the quality of the manufacture(you get what you pay for).

I have two different Alt rider skid plates, one on the 800gs and one on the 1200. I have to remove the skid plate on the 800 to change oil, but thats ok. I would rather have the real protection that offers over the factory tupperware skid plate and it only add about 2 minutes to the change time. They are easy to install and fit really well.
The skid plate is not in the way of the center stand.
My 1200 came with an aftermarket center stand and every time I use it I am afraid it will twist and collapse under the weight of the bike. You get what you pay for and this one is on my short list for replacement!

Back