Thread: 1994 K75 Clutch Cable & Air Filter

1994 K75 Clutch Cable & Air Filter

I got my new clutch cable routed. I duct taped the top of the new one to the bottom of the old one and pulled it through. I connected the lower. Tomorrow I will try to pull the top end out, catch it in the lever and re install the lever. If anyone knows a better way let me know.
    The seat and fuel tank are off. I will take a look at the fuel filter after I figure out how to open the air filter case.
    I'll see if my pic uploads. It was done for reference to show me where to run the cable.
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Red Bricks
    Bill,

Be sure to clean and relube the barrel at the lever end of the cable.

If you are going to carry a spare clutch cable, tape a spare barrel to the spare cable. The barrel usually falls out on the road somewhere when the cable breaks.

Follow the instructions in the manual to properly adjust the cable. It's more involved than a typical clutch cable adjustment due to the sidestand retract feature. Don't forget to leave adaquate freeplay in the cable.
    https://ibmwr.org/index.php/1998/04/...ch-adjustment/

There are three latches on the air filter box, one on the right front and one on each of the rear corners. After you release the latches, you will still not be able to lift the top be cause there is no clearance above the top. Just slide the filter out. There is one edge of the filter that doesn't have a lip. That edge goes in first.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thanks, Lee.
    I meant to write AIR filter, not fuel filter. You got it right.
    Itís not like working on a K bike, or any Beemer is difficult, but itís unique, therefore different from any other bike. This is my first K. Everything seems well designed, using good materials and durable.
    Hopefully, Iíll never have to do a cable swap on the road. But, after learning how to do it right, it might not be so daunting. I have enough luggage space to carry one, two saddlebags and the rear top box! Today I hope to finish up the job and then Iíll order another cable and a barrel.

3 Red Bricks
    Bill,

The way you installed the cable (tapeing to the other and pulling up) is the way to do it. BMW made it difficult from the factory by cable tying the clutch cable to the frame under the gas tank. As long as you DON'T replace these ties, changing the cable on the road is pretty easy (no gas tank removal).

Then the hardest part is getting the boot through the transmission. This helps if you ever have your tranny off: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...l-Early-Kbikes

Last edited by 98lee; 09-24-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

My time was limited today. We're getting a new bathroom!
    I watched the Chris Harris video on youtube. That gave me context to know what I need to do.
    Got another new clutch cable ordered today. I'll wait to call another source for the barrel.
    Watched another video on the air filter that showed how to... not complicated.
    Before all this is over, I'll drop my handle bars just a touch.
    I will get this done, but not today.
    Bill

I got it all done. Thanks for the helpful advice. I did drop the bars a touch.