Thread: K1300GT Topcase Options- GIVI and SHAD

K1300GT Topcase Options- GIVI and SHAD

Looking for some info and advice on adding an aftermarket topcase to my 2010 K1300GT. I recently used a GIVI V47 on a rented bike in Europe and that sold me on adding a topcase, but I was not happy with the fact that it was possible to lock the key in the topcase. I understand some designs only allow the case to be locked if the key is in the lock, which I think is a great idea.

Anyway, I'm looking at the GIVI V46, the GIVI V56, and the SHAD SH50. I know the Givi is a dual-wall topcase, which I like, but am not sure about the Shad. I want to be able to store a helmet and riding gear in the case, and while I was able to do that with the V47 on the rented bike it was a very tight squeeze--hence the interest in the V56 and SH50 cases, which I think are closer in size to the large topcase that BMW offers (at I price I just can't go). Is the GIVI mounting system any more secure and solid than the SHAD, or vice versa? Also, I have heard rumors that the GIVI lock system can be re-keyed to accept the BMW ignition key. True or false? And can any of these three cases be locked WITHOUT having the key in the lock?

Thanks for any info,

DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

The Shad SH50 will latch shut without the key, but the key is used to actually lock the case.

The case is made up of several layers but I don't know if it would be considered double wall. The top usually has a color plate on top, plus the wrap around reflector assembly which stiffens the lid. The sides are heavily reinforced with the silver plastic band which also encloses the latching mechanism. The black bottom feels very thick, but I think it is a single layer. I'm really not sure what the advantage of "double wall" construction would be. Stiffness with light weight, I suppose, but that might imply two thin (fragile?) walls instead of one thicker wall that occupies less volume. I've not heard of any problems with either construction.

The SH50 will hold a XXL modular helmet and my armored jacket and gloves with some room left over, but I don't think it would also hold my armored riding pants. Riding two-up, it holds my XXL helmet and my wife's medium helmet, if we unsnap one of the Sena communicators. On long solo camping trips, it secures my Marmot three man tent, Buffalo Park sleeping bag, ThermaRest sleeping pad, rainsuit, hat, shoes, Nelson-Rigg bike half cover and some small items.

Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Like the Shad

Ive had the Shad for three years and like it very much. I did not change the lock, left it in the 30L from BMW, case was too small for my needs, especially that dumb dual wall design. I got the Shad with top rack, carbon fiber, trim and light kit. Was not priced bad. The plate adapter fits perfect on tail of K1300GT. My only comment is that you get a little turbulence at highway speeds if not riding two up, or with gear on back seat.

Enjoy,

Miles
    Life's too short....lead, follow or get the %$#! out of my way!

Thanks for the replies. I run an Aeroflow windshield, not sure if that makes a difference on the turbulence you mentioned. Suspect I’ll end up with the SH50 and the Admore light kit for it, as that includes turn signal capability.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138