• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Krauser Bags - Fitment /5 and /6

cobaltc4s

Are Krauser Bags transferable between a /5 and a /6. In other words can I use one set of bags on both bikes?

Not sure if the /5 is a SWB or short wheel base. But I did some quick checks on RealOEM and it looks like the supporting frames are different for a SWB /5 and a /6. I think the bags will work, but the supporting frames have to pick up different frame points, so hence you probably need two sets of frames.

OP Here - yes, think of it this way I have a /5 with mounts and a /6 with mounts.
Both are ready for bags.
Can I use one set of bags for both bikes?

So, RealOEM shows part numbers for a "motocase" and two types of "touring case". I checked the numbers between a SWB R75/5 and a LWB R75/6. For each of these types of cases, it was the same part number between the /5 and the /6. So that leads me to believe that with the mounts already on each bike, it seems that the bags would swap back and forth.

Here's one such saddlebag; on this page, it shows which bikes the bags will work on:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=46542300058

Of course, mounts must be correct, but it seems they cut across many years.

Probably should get confirmation from someone who's been down this road before.

There are a couple of variants with regard to the manner of attachment of the cases to the mounting brackets. So long as the attachment hardware is the same on both racks, the cases will swap out easily.

I think the only gotcha here is Krausers with the seat belt frame latch and the newer system cases that clamp directly onto the rail.
I bought a set of period correct bags for my 82 RS which had incorrect Krausers with the seat belt latches. I found out that the seat belt type will not allow the clamping type to attach to the bag frame rails. Even when you remove the latches from the bag frames there is an attachement point where two bolts hold on the seat belt latch.

I got a spare set of frames which also happened to have the seat belt type latch attachment point. My Dremel tool made short work of those. Once ground off carefully I repainted the frames. This will allow me to use ONE set of bags for both my 82 RS and 81 G/S.

My better half is on a mission to clear the house of "stuff" before we get old whatever than means. This move made her happy as I reduced 4 sets of bags to 2. I still need to sell the Krausers and my home made G/S bags though. :hide

Back