Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How is everyone doing with the new 310's?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I almost always downshift from 6th to pass. I have done so for years on my K75s and R1150R. On the 310GS 5th is good from about 45 to 90 (redline). 4th is good from 35 or so to 75. Passing is usually not an issue. It would be going up a steep hill or into a stiff headwind. Otherwise - shift down and roll on.
    Thanks.....It's pretty much the way I need to know how to ride the thing...ÖÖ..

Voni and I are approaching 12,000 m.iles on our two of these. No issues really. The battery on mine failed to take kindly to a few days of GPS "on" drain. My fault. Not the bike's. The chains seem fine at 12K. I have not checked the valves. I really want the OEM Maintenance CD but don't have it yet Hoping soon. Anybody have on? We love the riding of these bike. I hope I like the maintenance is all good too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Anyone over six feet tall riding one of these? If so, how is the fit?
    Walter

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
    H. L. Mencken

I think the 310 and itsí competitors are the right bikes for the time.
    Itís also interesting to compare the 310 to a mid-sixties 305 Honda. Near the same weight and displacement, the Super Hawk actually has a higher reported top speed (source: wikipedia). It seems the real progress in 55 years has been suspension and brakes.
    -I just wanna ride on my motor sickle-

An issue not specifically discussed so far is possible addition of larger windshield. Has anyone noted a need for any wind protection? I test-rode a 310R with no protection at all (maybe a stock fly screen, but don't recall?) and I thought the wind management was excellent. I spend only about 10 miles/minutes on an interstate at speed and among traffic and noticed no discernible buffeting at all. What about those of you riding this bike for a prolonged time? Does the bike feel like it needs a windshield of some kind?

I am creeping ever closer to pulling the trigger and swapping my F800ST for the 310R. I have not done a trip longer than about 7 or 8 days and 3,000 miles in several years, so I believe my days of any long distance touring are behind me. As I have aged (in my early 70s now), all my bikes have been smaller than the one before, and my long trips have lost their appeal. Now I am much more likely to decide, almost spontaneously, to grab a change of underwear and take off somewhere for 3 to 5 days. I believe the 310R might be the right next bike for me.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    An issue not specifically discussed so far is possible addition of larger windshield. Has anyone noted a need for any wind protection? I test-rode a 310R with no protection at all (maybe a stock fly screen, but don't recall?) and I thought the wind management was excellent. I spend only about 10 miles/minutes on an interstate at speed and among traffic and noticed no discernible buffeting at all. What about those of you riding this bike for a prolonged time? Does the bike feel like it needs a windshield of some kind?

I am creeping ever closer to pulling the trigger and swapping my F800ST for the 310R. I have not done a trip longer than about 7 or 8 days and 3,000 miles in several years, so I believe my days of any long distance touring are behind me. As I have aged (in my early 70s now), all my bikes have been smaller than the one before, and my long trips have lost their appeal. Now I am much more likely to decide, almost spontaneously, to grab a change of underwear and take off somewhere for 3 to 5 days. I believe the 310R might be the right next bike for me.
    I added a windshield to my bike. Voni refused. VStream offers shields in three sizes. I got the middle one. It allows me to ride at highway speed with my face shield about half open which helps a lot on hot days. At in-town speeds I put the face shield all the way up most of the time.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

How much different is the riding experience on the G310GS from the riding experience on the G650GS? Is the 50 pound weight reduction noticable in normal road use? How about the reduction in power? The 650 has small edge in the power to weight ratio and over twice the torque output. Just looking for a comparison from those who have expeience on both.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Just noticed my reply. Should have said "bike is happier at 5K and up.