• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How is everyone doing - new 310's?

An issue not specifically discussed so far is possible addition of larger windshield. Has anyone noted a need for any wind protection? I test-rode a 310R with no protection at all (maybe a stock fly screen, but don't recall?) and I thought the wind management was excellent. I spend only about 10 miles/minutes on an interstate at speed and among traffic and noticed no discernible buffeting at all. What about those of you riding this bike for a prolonged time? Does the bike feel like it needs a windshield of some kind?

I am creeping ever closer to pulling the trigger and swapping my F800ST for the 310R. I have not done a trip longer than about 7 or 8 days and 3,000 miles in several years, so I believe my days of any long distance touring are behind me. As I have aged (in my early 70s now), all my bikes have been smaller than the one before, and my long trips have lost their appeal. Now I am much more likely to decide, almost spontaneously, to grab a change of underwear and take off somewhere for 3 to 5 days. I believe the 310R might be the right next bike for me.

I added a windshield to my bike. Voni refused. VStream offers shields in three sizes. I got the middle one. It allows me to ride at highway speed with my face shield about half open which helps a lot on hot days. At in-town speeds I put the face shield all the way up most of the time.

How much different is the riding experience on the G310GS from the riding experience on the G650GS? Is the 50 pound weight reduction noticable in normal road use? How about the reduction in power? The 650 has small edge in the power to weight ratio and over twice the torque output. Just looking for a comparison from those who have expeience on both.

My son has about 4K miles on his 310R...only issue is the (common) small coolant leak from the water pump, which is being replaced under warranty. He's very happy with it and it's been a great first bike for him. He's got his eye on the F750GS as his next bike, so in his case the idea of the 310 getting younger riders into BMW seems to be working well.

Thanks for the mention. I logged over 32,000 miles last year on my 310GS. It was an amazing bike and never let me down. Great on the highway, fun offroad, great on gas, did amazing on the highways (Averaged 85MPH on four ironbutt rides).
I highly recommend it! PS> I won the MOA mileage comp on my 310 for the ladies:

58377663_10155829295471152_3281885103302639616_n.jpg

There is a young lady member -- Jennifer Ott Argentino -- that is riding the wheels off of her 310.

But she is on the FB group....

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-24%20at%203.04.47%20PM-X2.png

Very nice for you.......and the bike :clap
Good to see you on the forum.
i may not be able to do that kind of distance in a Lear jet
Gary

Just Bought a 2019 G310GS

Anyone over six feet tall riding one of these? If so, how is the fit?

Yesterday I picked up a 2019 G310GS and am 6'1" with boots on and the GS is a little tight but not bad! I am going to install a Tall Seat kit from Seat Concepts which raises seat height 1.5" or so. Plus some Rox Risers and alloy pegs should get me a little more room. So far, what a cool bike and I am really impressed with the power and smoothness of the 310!! Not sure I will add a windshield as at 62 mph I thought the wind management was good...just needed to be wearing my ear plugs. I have a 07 F650GS and am going to sell it and has served me well for 41k. The 310 is not a two up bike but that is what the R12GS is used for. Bottom line, I am really glad I bought it!

310 GS owners manual

Hello and new to the Forum. I've ridden my R1100RT for the past 20 years and recently retired her and moved to a 2019 G310 GS. Great bike. Does everything I ask of it plus the light weight and "flickability" makes it a joy to ride. Very pleased with the purchase. However could someone point me in the direction of obtaining an owners manual and service manual. Thanks in advance.

Hello and new to the Forum. I've ridden my R1100RT for the past 20 years and recently retired her and moved to a 2019 G310 GS. Great bike. Does everything I ask of it plus the light weight and "flickability" makes it a joy to ride. Very pleased with the purchase. However could someone point me in the direction of obtaining an owners manual and service manual. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!
I’m surprised you didn’t receive an owners manual with your purchase. The service manuals seem to be on disc nowadays......I don’t think Haynes has caught up- maybe print is obsolete.
It’s great to hear a good report on the bike 🏍
Gary

Owners Manual

You can download the owners manual here:
https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/en/service/manuals/rider-manual.html
You just need to supply the proper information.

I truly love mine. I'm struck at how much so. It's a 2018 G310R that had been purchased but never left the BMW dealership in MN (BMW Motorcycles of Richfield) -- the owner had an issue that prevented him from picking it up. I got it with 0.9 miles on the odometer, did a quick set up for a longer ride and rode it home to New Jersey last week. It was the most fun I'd had on motorcycles in years. It has over 1,500 miles now.

A few photos from a ride near our home today...

110519g310rshortride-L1085634-Edit.jpg

110519g310rshortride-L1085600-Edit.jpg

110519g310rshortride-L1085608-Edit.jpg

I am an airhead type of guy - wanted a spare bike to carry in van that I could sleep with with no gasoline stink.

Bought 310R for the above purpose and although I was skeptical at first I think now at near 12,000 miles this is a good bike for the money even though it has no soul and sounds and feels like a dremmel with wheels.

Failures so far - the bike has never been back to the dealer for any service whatsoever since purchase:
OEM battery at about 7k miles - charge voltage but no cranking amps - replaced with $75 walmart battery no problem since
H4 headlight bulb fail at about 11k miles probably due to vibration - I usually get way more than that from H4 on a /5 or R65
but the 310R runs at 14.8v instead of the 13.5v on the airheads

Chain looks good at 12k miles - adjusted 3 times
Tires still look very good at 12k miles

82 mpg by my gps at 50-60 cruise speed on 2 lane roads using 87octane US crap gas contaminated with 10% ethanol

92 mph top speed by my gps limited by rev limiter in top(6th) gear

This little bike will embarass a single rider on a full sized stock Harley from a standing start up to about 65mph or so and that is sometimes great fun

This 310R is the first BMW stock motorcycle that I can comfortably straddle with my short 24 inch inseam since the /2 models with chopper style seat mounted so should be good for the smaller women out there who want to ride themselves - the bike is so light tiptoes are enough to get full enjoyment without fear at stops

The ABS brakes are a new thing for me and I am favorably impressed

I think so far a very good motorcycle for its price and handles very well (compared to the 60ś and 70ś bikes I am used to)
and handles somewhat better than 2000 GS500 Suzuki I have about 120k miles on

I am an airhead type of guy - wanted a spare bike to carry in van that I could sleep with with no gasoline stink.

Bought 310R for the above purpose and although I was skeptical at first I think now at near 12,000 miles this is a good bike for the money even though it has no soul and sounds and feels like a dremmel with wheels.

Failures so far - the bike has never been back to the dealer for any service whatsoever since purchase:
OEM battery at about 7k miles - charge voltage but no cranking amps - replaced with $75 walmart battery no problem since
H4 headlight bulb fail at about 11k miles probably due to vibration - I usually get way more than that from H4 on a /5 or R65
but the 310R runs at 14.8v instead of the 13.5v on the airheads

Chain looks good at 12k miles - adjusted 3 times
Tires still look very good at 12k miles

82 mpg by my gps at 50-60 cruise speed on 2 lane roads using 87octane US crap gas contaminated with 10% ethanol

92 mph top speed by my gps limited by rev limiter in top(6th) gear

This little bike will embarass a single rider on a full sized stock Harley from a standing start up to about 65mph or so and that is sometimes great fun

This 310R is the first BMW stock motorcycle that I can comfortably straddle with my short 24 inch inseam since the /2 models with chopper style seat mounted so should be good for the smaller women out there who want to ride themselves - the bike is so light tiptoes are enough to get full enjoyment without fear at stops

The ABS brakes are a new thing for me and I am favorably impressed

I think so far a very good motorcycle for its price and handles very well (compared to the 60ś and 70ś bikes I am used to)
and handles somewhat better than 2000 GS500 Suzuki I have about 120k miles on

Nice review :thumb
Thanks

OM

2018 G310R finally fails at 36,200+ miles

Took delivery of this bike late Dec 2018
Ran well with no significant problems and no dealer service to 36,200+ miles on Feb 10, 2022 at which time has totally failed due to coolant loss from hose 18 in attached image.

Tires went 27,500 and were still legal but getting lumpy
Original battery was no good from BMW - WMT replacement has been fine for couple of years
H4 bulb failed and was replaced a while ago

Still running original chain set still looks ok

Bike is now parked and I am looking for advice on on fixing the coolant loss problem which I suspect is bearing and seal set #17 in attached image.

I regularly look at coolant tank and have been adding small amounts at about 5k mile intervals.
Being a long time rider of old poorly maintained airheads little seeps and drips have never bothered me.
Last run was a 170+- day ride noticed coolant tank empty half way and added water to get home.
End of trip tank empty again but not indicating hot on dash.
Cooled for a short while and filled tank with coolant and went for a 4 mile ride on returning began to indicate hot and all coolant had pissed out of tank through hose #18.
There is no indication that coolant has gotten into oil.

Do you agree probable fault is bearing and seal set #17?
Is this difficult to replace for one who has maintained airheads and /2 bikes for many years.
Is there a good video online for this task?

I do not want to go to the dealer unless there is no other way - would cost me 2 days of riding to haul it there and back. I ride every day, Some promises by dealer on orig sale of new bike were not kept and I do not want to go back there if at all possible.

Finally with no other option I had the dealer fix this bike - at some cost picked up bike from my home - fixed it for a fair price - returned it to my home.
I am satisfied with the dealer's performance on this issue.

I would not recommend this bike for anyone not living close to a dealer - not a real BMW like a /5 - 310R last new BMW of any kind for me. This bike will never get me a reasonable $/mile for long use.
I could never trust it for an important trip - just local day rides. It is just a short term throw away toy for rich folks!

Today's world has passed me by - I am not willing to surrender to a computer bike so complex it cannot be serviced or repaired by its owner and BMW has sent a clear message that
It will not support owners like me. Dealers are too far apart to be useful to rural people like me. For the purchase price of this bike + service to 36,300mi I could have rebuilt at
least 3 pre-1980 airheads and gotten at least 80,000 mi each without serious issues or need of any dealer - that's 240,000 miles against 36,300.

Attachments

• 310R coolant loss.jpg
    310R coolant loss.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Back