Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How is everyone doing - new 310's?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I almost always downshift from 6th to pass. I have done so for years on my K75s and R1150R. On the 310GS 5th is good from about 45 to 90 (redline). 4th is good from 35 or so to 75. Passing is usually not an issue. It would be going up a steep hill or into a stiff headwind. Otherwise - shift down and roll on.
    Thanks.....It's pretty much the way I need to know how to ride the thing...ÖÖ..

Voni and I are approaching 12,000 m.iles on our two of these. No issues really. The battery on mine failed to take kindly to a few days of GPS "on" drain. My fault. Not the bike's. The chains seem fine at 12K. I have not checked the valves. I really want the OEM Maintenance CD but don't have it yet Hoping soon. Anybody have on? We love the riding of these bike. I hope I like the maintenance is all good too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Anyone over six feet tall riding one of these? If so, how is the fit?
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

I think the 310 and itsí competitors are the right bikes for the time.
    Itís also interesting to compare the 310 to a mid-sixties 305 Honda. Near the same weight and displacement, the Super Hawk actually has a higher reported top speed (source: wikipedia). It seems the real progress in 55 years has been suspension and brakes.
    -Don't cry because it's over-
    -Smile because it happened-

An issue not specifically discussed so far is possible addition of larger windshield. Has anyone noted a need for any wind protection? I test-rode a 310R with no protection at all (maybe a stock fly screen, but don't recall?) and I thought the wind management was excellent. I spend only about 10 miles/minutes on an interstate at speed and among traffic and noticed no discernible buffeting at all. What about those of you riding this bike for a prolonged time? Does the bike feel like it needs a windshield of some kind?

I am creeping ever closer to pulling the trigger and swapping my F800ST for the 310R. I have not done a trip longer than about 7 or 8 days and 3,000 miles in several years, so I believe my days of any long distance touring are behind me. As I have aged (in my early 70s now), all my bikes have been smaller than the one before, and my long trips have lost their appeal. Now I am much more likely to decide, almost spontaneously, to grab a change of underwear and take off somewhere for 3 to 5 days. I believe the 310R might be the right next bike for me.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    An issue not specifically discussed so far is possible addition of larger windshield. Has anyone noted a need for any wind protection? I test-rode a 310R with no protection at all (maybe a stock fly screen, but don't recall?) and I thought the wind management was excellent. I spend only about 10 miles/minutes on an interstate at speed and among traffic and noticed no discernible buffeting at all. What about those of you riding this bike for a prolonged time? Does the bike feel like it needs a windshield of some kind?

I am creeping ever closer to pulling the trigger and swapping my F800ST for the 310R. I have not done a trip longer than about 7 or 8 days and 3,000 miles in several years, so I believe my days of any long distance touring are behind me. As I have aged (in my early 70s now), all my bikes have been smaller than the one before, and my long trips have lost their appeal. Now I am much more likely to decide, almost spontaneously, to grab a change of underwear and take off somewhere for 3 to 5 days. I believe the 310R might be the right next bike for me.
    I added a windshield to my bike. Voni refused. VStream offers shields in three sizes. I got the middle one. It allows me to ride at highway speed with my face shield about half open which helps a lot on hot days. At in-town speeds I put the face shield all the way up most of the time.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

How much different is the riding experience on the G310GS from the riding experience on the G650GS? Is the 50 pound weight reduction noticable in normal road use? How about the reduction in power? The 650 has small edge in the power to weight ratio and over twice the torque output. Just looking for a comparison from those who have expeience on both.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Just noticed my reply. Should have said "bike is happier at 5K and up.

My son has about 4K miles on his 310R...only issue is the (common) small coolant leak from the water pump, which is being replaced under warranty. He's very happy with it and it's been a great first bike for him. He's got his eye on the F750GS as his next bike, so in his case the idea of the 310 getting younger riders into BMW seems to be working well.
    Dave K.
    1971 R75/5

Thanks for the mention. I logged over 32,000 miles last year on my 310GS. It was an amazing bike and never let me down. Great on the highway, fun offroad, great on gas, did amazing on the highways (Averaged 85MPH on four ironbutt rides).
    I highly recommend it! PS> I won the MOA mileage comp on my 310 for the ladies:

58377663_10155829295471152_3281885103302639616_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    There is a young lady member -- Jennifer Ott Argentino -- that is riding the wheels off of her 310.

But she is on the FB group....

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Very nice for you.......and the bike
    Good to see you on the forum.
    i may not be able to do that kind of distance in a Lear jet
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Very nice for you.......and the bike
    Good to see you on the forum.
    i may not be able to do that kind of distance in a Lear jet
    Gary
    Thanks Gary...and thanks for the laugh!

Just Bought a 2019 G310GS

Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    Anyone over six feet tall riding one of these? If so, how is the fit?
    Yesterday I picked up a 2019 G310GS and am 6'1" with boots on and the GS is a little tight but not bad! I am going to install a Tall Seat kit from Seat Concepts which raises seat height 1.5" or so. Plus some Rox Risers and alloy pegs should get me a little more room. So far, what a cool bike and I am really impressed with the power and smoothness of the 310!! Not sure I will add a windshield as at 62 mph I thought the wind management was good...just needed to be wearing my ear plugs. I have a 07 F650GS and am going to sell it and has served me well for 41k. The 310 is not a two up bike but that is what the R12GS is used for. Bottom line, I am really glad I bought it!

310 GS owners manual

Hello and new to the Forum. I've ridden my R1100RT for the past 20 years and recently retired her and moved to a 2019 G310 GS. Great bike. Does everything I ask of it plus the light weight and "flickability" makes it a joy to ride. Very pleased with the purchase. However could someone point me in the direction of obtaining an owners manual and service manual. Thanks in advance.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rushvillemotowerks View Post
    Hello and new to the Forum. I've ridden my R1100RT for the past 20 years and recently retired her and moved to a 2019 G310 GS. Great bike. Does everything I ask of it plus the light weight and "flickability" makes it a joy to ride. Very pleased with the purchase. However could someone point me in the direction of obtaining an owners manual and service manual. Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Iím surprised you didnít receive an owners manual with your purchase. The service manuals seem to be on disc nowadays......I donít think Haynes has caught up- maybe print is obsolete.
    Itís great to hear a good report on the bike 🏍
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200