• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

trying to install O Ring - Throttle body into intake manifold....

flhfxd

I just replaced the left cam chain tensioner on my 99 RT with the upgraded one.
Looking for any helpful tricks to get the O Ring to stay in place when slipping the intake manifold back over the throttle body?
The O ring is a little loose and gets pushed out of the groove when I try to slip the manifold on....grrrrrr
Thx.

If you're trying to re-install the old o-ring that could be the biggest part of the problem. Again, if it's the old one, it out of shape from use. You could try holding it in place with some grease. Not sure which, but freezing it or putting it in the sun - one of those should shrink it.

Okay - I just looked it up. Boil the o-ring (boiling water) for a minute or two. Remember, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.:)

Last edited:
If you're trying to re-install the old o-ring that could be the biggest part of the problem. Again, if it's the old one, it out of shape from use. You could try holding it in place with some grease. Not sure which, but freezing it or putting it in the sun - one of those should shrink it.

Okay - I just looked it up. Boil the o-ring (boiling water) for a minute or two. Remember, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.:)

Thx for the reply. Tried freezing. No joy....will continue to fiddle. Probably should get a new O ring. Are they relatively tight on the throttle body when new?

Hot water.....no joy. I guess ill go to the local Beemer store tomorrow and get totally hosed for a $0.50 Oring. Uggh

Yes on the tight when new. If it's wiggly loose, it's due anyways and your dealer will enjoy the visit:wave
Yeah, the OEM is $7 ea...crazy I know

Have had some luch rolling TB or intake tube a bit with a bit of soap solution and it stayed...that time

Success! I got er done! I just had to fiddle the bejeezuz out of it.
Might still go the dealer tomorrow though. Call it a gravitational pull by that K1600B....

Common problem. Especially when used - they swell from fumes and oil.
I now cut out 1/4" with a razor blade and use a drop of crazy glue to join the ends.
Lube also helps.

Back