• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Right Low beam H7 bulb replacement nightmare 2009 R 1200 RT

Working in automotive for over 30 years, it is not that uncommon to see "what the F---" engineering designs with all makes and models of cars and it seems the same with motorcycles. It's as if the different departments never collaborated with their parts and it all fits but then they forget that a consumer or a mechanic may need to replace a minor part at some point, preferably without disassembly of the entire vehicle. On some cars a headlamp can be done in 1 minute just by reaching in and twisting the bulb out and back in, others one side is that easy and other side requires removal of the battery or washer tank. Some require removal of the entire bumper and front fascia. On my previous bike, a BMW, I could reach up from underneath and replace the bulbs in less that 2 minutes. Unfortunately on my RT I did have to remove several panels and the headlamp assembly to the replace the bulbs. I replaced with LED's so hopefully I don't need to do it again anytime soon.

I will agree that on cars and bikes, German engineering is great, but sometimes either over engineered, maybe too innovative or not always looking at the overall method of repairs once it all fits together.

If you need to take half of your bike apart to change headlight bulbs..................This is a dumb ass design and the German Engineer who designed this should spend the rest of his life designing new variants of rubber dog **** for the Spencer Gift Stores.

For me the solution was to install HIDs on my 07.
I didn't have to change a bulb since. ( 5 years,55k mi so far)

YMMV

Try changing bulbs in some cars.

86 Monte Carlo SS the factory service manual stated remove rubber nose 110 fasteners. I made a special tool.

Many cars require removing the head lamp assembly.

Rod

Yeah, on my CL550 need to remove the radiator overflow bottle to access right headlight. Need to remove windscreen washer fluid bottle to access left side. Some bulbs require removal of underside engine cover. Some require removal of inner fender liner (you remove wheel to do this).

Again, no German auto designer cares diddly about DIY mek-a-niks with only basic blacksmith skills who may be seeing something for the first time and who don't have factory procedures at hand.

If you want to criticize something stupid, criticize the requirement to run with headlight on during daytime. The Wetheads now have BMW's famous "angel eyes" which satisfy Euro regulations but not USA.

There are "heavy duty" H7 bulbs available.

It might be good to be in your local BMW club and identify the guy that's left-handed to help everyone else with the right-side bulb.

If you want to criticize something stupid, criticize the requirement to run with headlight on during daytime.

I think it's been well-established that this reduces multi-vehicle accidents... though many of the studies are older, before other non-motorcycle vehicles also began implementing them.

"In the United States, Zador (1985) found that states requiring daytime motorcycle headlight use had substantially fewer daytime motorcycle fatalities" and "model revealed that the running headlight intervention reduced the conspicuity-related motorcycle accidents by about 29%."

Motorcycle right-of-way accidents—A literature review by Chih-WeiPai

If you want to criticize something stupid, criticize the requirement to run with headlight on during daytime. The Wetheads now have BMW's famous "angel eyes" which satisfy Euro regulations but not USA.

To add to this, they are legal for daytime running on my BMW 328 but not for the Wetheads...
I think the k1600 only has the angels eyes on for daytime also.

I've had very good luck, by removing the upper plastics. Just four bolts, and I have much, much better access to the admittedly lame headlights. I've taken the front nacelle apart before, and that was quite a day... I'll stick to just removing the upper plastics. Unless I can find an LED replacement that doesn't blind oncoming traffic at night.

As for daytime headlights being stupid... to each his own, but I'm pretty solid that daytime headlights have been shown to reduce accidents. There are many ambulance companies and fire departments that require the headlights to be on whenever their vehicles are being driven (for safety.) Here in the PRC, it is also law that headlights be on for every vehicle in the rain. Also to cut down on accidents. Some of the more dangerous roadways have 'daytime headlights required' or similar wording. Not to sound critical, but it's pretty common for folks to add front facing LED lights to their motorcycles for better visibility, isn't it?

Headlamp Spring

The bulb tends to fall out, before you can attach the clip. I have found using a tiny piece of tape on the top mounting ear holds the bulb in place until you can latch the spring. Then you can pull off the tape.
The spring, can jump for freedom if you are not careful. It is a very fun thing to find on a dark asphalt parking lot. They are NOT sold separately. I attach a little bread wrapper tie to it to hold it out of the way. Side benefit, if it jumps for freedom, it is easier to see.
I HOPE the Cyclops LED I just installed lasts forever. Much better than the bulb burning out on a moonless night during deer migration.
You will have to remove the headlight, there really is no other way. My 2009 GS is really easy, HINT, there is a pin on the bottom of the housing that fits in a rubber grommet. Make sure the grommet is in good condition, and the pin is in there, because it will fit either way. The wrong way is a handy feature if you want to scan for squirrels in trees or flocks of geese, useless otherwise. Good thing is second removal is much faster.

Rod

Need to contact 'Rocketmanli' on this forum. He had the spring fabricated and offered them for sale. Have no idea if he currently has stock.

Good luck with the problem.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?83061-low-beam-headlight/page2

Back