• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 k1200gt - what goes on the back of this fender?

jrmull

Just curious. What is the purpose for these two holes on the back fender? This a 2003 K1200GT.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.23.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.23.31 PM.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 121
I assumed it was for large square license plates used in some countries. But now I can't find an example of a plate with holes in that position.:scratch
duitsland191.jpg

Some folks fit BMW roundels in one of those holes.

The hole with a hex shape surrounding it is for a (optional) fender extender, I think I see it just under your plate frame.

I was looking for a red reflector to mount in that location. Then hit on the idea to go with LED lights. Compromised by doing nothing to date.

2003 k1200gt - hidden fender part

What a surprise. I see it hidden in the fender. Just waiting for me to extend it. Loosen the screw and slide it down. When looking the the double holes, I could feel the fender had a double layer. Now I know why. It was the hidden extender. Cool. Thanks for the pictures. As for the double holes, I was thinking of putting a reflector there or more lights. I just didn't know anything that fits it. Great advice fellows.

Attachments

• hidden-fender-x.jpg
    hidden-fender-x.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 98
What a surprise. I see it hidden in the fender.

A lot of people never notice the hidden fender extender :)
Wish BMW did that on all the bikes.
Some people remove the rear fender for looks, but I usually add to the rear fender.

PO removed/cut the fender off my 99 KRS to just under the plate. :banghead
Wish mine was full length. Trying to find one for a decent price, is tough.

There are over a dozen on Ebay under $50 including shipping. There's one for $13 plus shipping.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

BeemerBoneyard has one but it cost more than the ebay items.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/46622309615ns.html

I do buy on EBAY of course when the deal is good and there is little doubt / risk about the condition.

BUT IN SUCH CASE of larger plastic part, with the nice folks at BeemerBoneyard, at least you are sure that if they say "very good condition", this is exactly what you will get. PLUS you get fantastic / quick / personal customer service.

I do buy on EBAY of course when the deal is good and there is little doubt / risk about the condition.

BUT IN SUCH CASE of larger plastic part, with the nice folks at BeemerBoneyard, at least you are sure that if they say "very good condition", this is exactly what you will get. PLUS you get fantastic / quick / personal customer service.

I agree and they give MOA members a 10% discount.

Odd. I was just at the Larz Anderson Euro Bike show in Boston two weeks ago. A guy with a 2004 K1200RS was looking at my 2003, trying to note differences. I mentioned that I thought there were none. He pointed to the rear fender and told me that for 04 they shortened it.
I walked over to his bike and noted the hacksawed look of the end of his rear fender. His PO had cut off the fender just below the plate. He had never noticed it.

As for the adjustable fender length, I wish they would include that in the front fenders. That's where the length can do some real good.

If you want a seamless and nearly undetectable front fender extender, just replace the back half of the fender with the same piece from a K1200LT...

Best,
DG

Back