• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need advice on R1200RT accessories

del429

Hi,

Just got my first BMW! A 2011 R1200RT polar metallic. What an amazing bike! Anyone have recommendations on the large vs small bmw top cases? I’m kinda leaning towards the smaller case so it doesn’t feel like I’m lugging a refrigerator around. Also, does anyone know which gps units will fit on the Wunderlich mount? I’m thinking of swapping out the rock hard stock seat for a Sargent seat. Hoping someone can let me know what the Sargent is like.

Thanks,

Del

Top case: depends on what you want to put in it. Helmet may require the big case. Gloves, coffee cup, and miscellaneous the small will do just fine.

Wunderlich mount: they made several. We need a photo to guess what will fit yours.

I went with the Givi 55L topcase, after finding the small BMW topcase too small (at 28L) for my desires. The small BMW wouldn't hold my helmet, let alone jacket or other items. I liked the BMW topcase being keyed to my engine key, but I've found threads on this forum that show how to convert the Givi box to my BMW key. I've done that conversion, and I'm happy with it. The BMW large topcase would be great, but I'm too cheap... And my Givi has more internal volume. The BMW, however, is more secure.

Butts are all different... But, I had a Sargent seat on my 1150 RT, and was glad that I could take advantage of their 30 day guarantee and return that item. For me, it was better than stock, but I have long-distance aspirations, and that Sargent wasn't going to work for my arse and long distances. I've had a ride-in appointments at Bill Mayer Saddles and Corbin. I currently use a second hand Russel, and continue to threaten to do a ride-in with them. My second hand Russel is great; better for me than either the BMS or the Corbin, but I will always wonder about getting a custom made RDL.

As you outfit your new motorcycle, you may want to consider highway pegs and windscreens. There is a bunch of good information on the different windscreens here. I like the Ilium Works highway pegs on my crash bars (can't remember the brand.) They also make a neat highway peg that doesn't need a crash bar to mount onto, should you wish to avoid crashbars.

I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Thanks for the advice! I’m really not looking for a super long distance seat just yet...just need something softer than the factory seat. Reminds me of sitting on a leather wrapped cinder block! May look into the givi top cases, although I think the bmw cases look the best. Does the givi cases mount to the factory rear rack with an adapter?

Top case

I have had both. I like the ability to put two helmets in the larger top case. When riding I don't even know that it is there. Good luck you will love your RT.

I do
Steve from Iowa

I would suggest looking at the Shad top cases as well. I have a SH-59 and love it. Nice mounting system and I love the expanding feature. Much cheaper than OEM too. Can be painted to match bike if desired.

I believe you may be the first person I've heard say that the OEM seat on a BMW RT is too hard, but here seems to a consensus that the seat is uncomfortable. If you are not familiar with the Sargeant seat, then you may want to see if you can try one before buying. They have a reputation of being firm; mine certainly was.

I am also happy with my Shad top box. Mine is on an FJR, but it is the same box as you might buy. It has performed quite well and was reasonably priced.

Hard BMW seat

Its amazing how many folks want to run right out and change a BMW seat out. Why not add material or adjust the BMW seat first to get the comfort you want versus shelling out a lot of cash for something you cant return or fix? We took the RT seat cover off, added gel pad to wifes and recovered it. I simply added beaded seat cover to get air flow for me and for under $200 bucks resolved issue. Car and furniture upholsterers have tons of options or you can shop the web for material.

Another contributing factor in comfort is you riding apparel. No jeans, or seamed underwear. The pockets and seams will kill your arse. Good bike shorts with padding, non seamed underwear (I like duluth trading) and riding pants go a long way. Have fun.

Cheers,

Miles

Hi,

I’m thinking of swapping out the rock hard stock seat for a Sargent seat. Hoping someone can let me know what the Sargent is like.

Thanks,

Del

I have the LOW Sargent seat. Height was the main reason why I did away with the factory seat. I never found the factory seat "rock hard". So I really can't say either way if the Sargent is more comfortable or not. I kept the original seat in the house. For giggles I suppose I could swap the seats and ride around and let you know.

I went with the Sargent seat. I went on a couple of longer rides (600+ miles) and found the stock seat very uncomfortable. I asked for advice just like you did and settled on the Sargent seat. Since then I have taken a couple of !000+ mile trips and found the Sargent seat very comfortable. I would highly recommend it. That being said, I like some of the other suggestions for seat comfort that I just read. It might work for you and be cheaper. I recently heard that wearing bicycle shorts with the gel padding works well too. Good luck.

For distance you need to have a reasonably firm seat for the support, if you think a hard seat is bad try a too soft seat for a long day or two. I'm on a couple of thumpers and run Renazco aftermarket seats, he does most seats for anyone in North America running the Dakar. Mine are firm for sure and I wear bicycle shorts for touring as I tend to run long days, for me this is the most comfortable way to travel. I commonly run 12 hour days on my 640 Adventure so a good seat is key.

As was mentioned an aftermarket seat can spell the difference for height requirements whether higher or lower, on my 640 the Renazco tapers more towards the front which gains a little reach for the 37" seat height which makes a lot of difference to me with a 30' inseam. I don't know of any machines that have a higher seat height:hungover

Its amazing how many folks want to run right out and change a BMW seat out. Why not add material or adjust the BMW seat first to get the comfort you want versus shelling out a lot of cash for something you cant return or fix? We took the RT seat cover off, added gel pad to wifes and recovered it. I simply added beaded seat cover to get air flow for me and for under $200 bucks resolved issue. Car and furniture upholsterers have tons of options or you can shop the web for material.

Another contributing factor in comfort is you riding apparel. No jeans, or seamed underwear. The pockets and seams will kill your arse. Good bike shorts with padding, non seamed underwear (I like duluth trading) and riding pants go a long way. Have fun.

Cheers,

Miles

Good advise on the cycling shorts. They have the extra padding where you need it and make your ride more comfortable. Remember, they were designed to give support and comfort to your "parts" on those tiny hard bicycle seats some of us used to ride when we were much younger. Plus a lot cheaper than a new seat. But don't skimp on a cheap pair. I bought mine through Aerostich, but any quality bike (bicycle) shop should have what you need. And I've used the Deluth Trading Co. underwear mentioned, great stuff too.

I have had both. I like the ability to put two helmets in the larger top case. When riding I don't even know that it is there. Good luck you will love your RT.

I do
Steve from Iowa

I also have the large, never notice it while riding. Went with the Russell Day Long seats, Ilium bar backs, shift extension, tip-over bars and floorboards. All well worth it, to me. The tip-over bars have paid for themselves. Changed the windshield for one by Quiet Werks, much nicer.

Back