• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Center Stands and Achilles Tendons

DrSteve

I have hesitated to write this, thinking readers would find it of little value in the midst of so many other rider ‘experiences’ to read about. Friends advised me otherwise.

I’ll make it brief and if you have questions, send them my way. There are others on this forum who have had the same or similar experiences - I hope they jump in as well.

On March 30, I was putting one of my bikes on its center stand, something I had done hundreds of times, and my Achilles tendon ruptured - snapped like a rubber band. The sound was gruesome and it felt like I had been struck by lightening on my lower right leg. Then, nothing. No physical pain but the emotional pain was immediate and immense. I knew something very serious had just happened and the plans for riding later that day, for the weeks and months ahead were no longer certain. Walking was out of the question too, as I was to learn.

As I imagine many of us do when an unexpected calamity strikes, we look back in an attempt to discover what we did or didn’t do that contributed to the issue. I can not be certain but I believe I was thinking about something other than the task at hand. Having lifted this bike easily twice earlier in the day, I was not fully concentrating on positioning my body properly, placing the ball of my foot precisely, pressing and pulling slowly and smoothly. I don’t recall and I never will know with certainty what I could have done differently.

I am riding again, much to the chagrin of my physical therapists, and being very cautious when putting both feet down, not trusting my right leg, which has atrophied significantly. Mt doctors say my surgically repaired tendon will require 6 months to a year to fully heal and that I may never regain all the functionality I had before. One thing is for sure, no more center stands for me - ever.

Some experiences are best had vicariously - let’s hope this is one.

My Grandmother used to say, “it’s a great life if you don’t weaken”. I know what she means.
Might have been just your turn.
Heal fast. Be careful.
Gary

I would suggest this as an alternative to center stands while in the garage: https://www.dynamotousa.com/

I used to use the center stand for maintenance and storage in the garage. Since purchasing these stands, I only use the center stand when fueling up. When they are not in use, they also take up very little space. I use them also to turn the bike around after riding front into garage first.

I would suggest this as an alternative to center stands while in the garage: https://www.dynamotousa.com/

I used to use the center stand for maintenance and storage in the garage. Since purchasing these stands, I only use the center stand when fueling up. When they are not in use, they also take up very little space. I use them also to turn the bike around after riding front into garage first.

Thanks!

Yes those are the units I bought. They work very very well, I have them now for 1 year, bought them around this time last year 2017. Got no complaints, they just work and work well. Its really convenient being able to move the bike around the garage while doing maintenance.

Back