Thread: Center Stands and Achilles Tendons

Center Stands and Achilles Tendons

I have hesitated to write this, thinking readers would find it of little value in the midst of so many other rider Ďexperiencesí to read about. Friends advised me otherwise.

Iíll make it brief and if you have questions, send them my way. There are others on this forum who have had the same or similar experiences - I hope they jump in as well.

On March 30, I was putting one of my bikes on its center stand, something I had done hundreds of times, and my Achilles tendon ruptured - snapped like a rubber band. The sound was gruesome and it felt like I had been struck by lightening on my lower right leg. Then, nothing. No physical pain but the emotional pain was immediate and immense. I knew something very serious had just happened and the plans for riding later that day, for the weeks and months ahead were no longer certain. Walking was out of the question too, as I was to learn.

As I imagine many of us do when an unexpected calamity strikes, we look back in an attempt to discover what we did or didnít do that contributed to the issue. I can not be certain but I believe I was thinking about something other than the task at hand. Having lifted this bike easily twice earlier in the day, I was not fully concentrating on positioning my body properly, placing the ball of my foot precisely, pressing and pulling slowly and smoothly. I donít recall and I never will know with certainty what I could have done differently.

I am riding again, much to the chagrin of my physical therapists, and being very cautious when putting both feet down, not trusting my right leg, which has atrophied significantly. Mt doctors say my surgically repaired tendon will require 6 months to a year to fully heal and that I may never regain all the functionality I had before. One thing is for sure, no more center stands for me - ever.

Some experiences are best had vicariously - letís hope this is one.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    My Grandmother used to say, ďitís a great life if you donít weakenĒ. I know what she means.
    Might have been just your turn.
    Heal fast. Be careful.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I would suggest this as an alternative to center stands while in the garage: https://www.dynamotousa.com/

I used to use the center stand for maintenance and storage in the garage. Since purchasing these stands, I only use the center stand when fueling up. When they are not in use, they also take up very little space. I use them also to turn the bike around after riding front into garage first.
    2010 R1200RT
    Sargent Low Heated Driver Seat
    2007 Burgman 400 - Sold
    Now DFW, TX, used to live - Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by etiennelau View Post
    I would suggest this as an alternative to center stands while in the garage: https://www.dynamotousa.com/

I used to use the center stand for maintenance and storage in the garage. Since purchasing these stands, I only use the center stand when fueling up. When they are not in use, they also take up very little space. I use them also to turn the bike around after riding front into garage first.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by etiennelau View Post
    Looks good:

My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Yes those are the units I bought. They work very very well, I have them now for 1 year, bought them around this time last year 2017. Got no complaints, they just work and work well. Its really convenient being able to move the bike around the garage while doing maintenance.
    2010 R1200RT
    Sargent Low Heated Driver Seat
    2007 Burgman 400 - Sold
    Now DFW, TX, used to live - Vancouver, BC