• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2019 r1250 rt

mxsx337

I saw the announced BMW R 1250 RT (and GS) and I must admit I'm disappointed. I bought a new 2017 R 1200 RT in May this year and the only thing I could think of to improve the bike (I just returned from a 3,500 mile trip on the stock saddle) would have been LED headlights. I don't understand why BMW has neglected this feature for so long. Without going into details, I will be buying a new BMW RT in the near future and will probably opt for a 2018 because I'm sure there will be a significant savings and I was perfectly happy with the 2017 except for the lights. :banghead

I saw the announced BMW R 1250 RT (and GS) and I must admit I'm disappointed. I bought a new 2017 R 1200 RT in May this year and the only thing I could think of to improve the bike (I just returned from a 3,500 mile trip on the stock saddle) would have been LED headlights. I don't understand why BMW has neglected this feature for so long. Without going into details, I will be buying a new BMW RT in the near future and will probably opt for a 2018 because I'm sure there will be a significant savings and I was perfectly happy with the 2017 except for the lights. :banghead

I installed two sets of led fog lights in the front, one set where the factory goes and a set on the forks using the CanSmart from Daneli and its the best riding bike at night now, and even if the bike did have led headlight I would still do extra lighting anyway.

I hadn't heard anything about the headlight... that was one big area for improvement (going to LED).

I wonder if they fixed the lousy bluetooth audio quality for satellite radio on the 2019+. My guess is No.

There is a rather extensive press package for both new bikes, GS and RT. Here's what is says about lighting:

"For decades now, BMW Motorrad has been regarded as a frontrunner when it comes to safety in connection with motorcycling. One shining example in the truest sense of the word is the LED headlamp which is now offered as a standard feature of the R 1250 GS. In addition to this, the LED daytime riding light is available as an optional equipment item for the R 1250 GS and also the R 1250 RT, which has halogen headlamps. The LED headlamp of the R 1250 GS illuminates the road with a hitherto unrivalled clarity, thereby ensuring additional perception in traffic. The light unit consists of two LED units for low and high beam and, in connection with LED daytime riding light as an optional equipment item, four additional LED units for daytime riding light and side light."

I installed two sets of led fog lights in the front, one set where the factory goes and a set on the forks using the CanSmart from Daneli and its the best riding bike at night now, and even if the bike did have led headlight I would still do extra lighting anyway.

Can you attach a photo? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "one set where the factory goes..." Did you put fog lights INSIDE the RT headlight assembly? Sorry for being "thick-headed."

Good Point.

They could also put a little thought into making a transmission for the RT that shifts smoothly and silently from neutral to first gear - something that should have happened long ago.

E.

Last edited:
Can you attach a photo? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "one set where the factory goes..." Did you put fog lights INSIDE the RT headlight assembly? Sorry for being "thick-headed."

Sorry bro, Im saying stock fog lamps go on a bracket mounted to the front engine cover putting the fog lights just in front of the cylinder heads, second set is mounted to the front forks close to the center of wheel.
The other brackets you could use to mount fog lights allows you to put fog lights up close to the turn signal lamps which I was not going to do, looked stupid to me.
With all four fog lights installed my next install will be Touratech LED headlight that will replace my stock halogen, then Ill be set.

Trust me if your in front of me with my high beams on along with my fog lights on it WILL blind ya.

Those shiny LED headlights on GSA's are $2K to replace out of warranty...
Even though the H7 bulb may be old fashioned, it is availably at any gas station in the middle of nowhere although it is a PITA to get at....
I added enough Clearwater lights on my RT to melt retinas (they are actually adjusted correctly) and blacktop..:laugh YMMV

For me, the timing couldn't be better. Earlier this year my wife agreed to the purchase of a new RT as soon as the current car payment is done. In the spring of 2020 I'll be rolling the car payment over to a new RT. I might be able to get a good discount on any 2019's still on the show room floor. I'll be replacing a 2005 RT.

I would have liked LED lights (although my Sevina/Erica setup puts out huge light a significant portion of it is “wasted” lighting up trees and such as opposed to a light with properly shaped driving beams). The dash has a good amount of real estate that would have taken a large digital panel with Apple/Android connectivity. An option to eliminate the radio system and just have the latest version of bluetooth with the system allowing different data streams to 2 helmets so rider and pillion can listen to different sources. Turn the speaker spaces into lockable storage.

For my needs and ability BMW does the mechanics fine, it’s the “other”stuff” they fall down on.

There is a rather extensive press package for both new bikes, GS and RT. Here's what is says about lighting:

"For decades now, BMW Motorrad has been regarded as a frontrunner when it comes to safety in connection with motorcycling. One shining example in the truest sense of the word is the LED headlamp which is now offered as a standard feature of the R 1250 GS. In addition to this, the LED daytime riding light is available as an optional equipment item for the R 1250 GS and also the R 1250 RT, which has halogen headlamps. The LED headlamp of the R 1250 GS illuminates the road with a hitherto unrivalled clarity, thereby ensuring additional perception in traffic. The light unit consists of two LED units for low and high beam and, in connection with LED daytime riding light as an optional equipment item, four additional LED units for daytime riding light and side light."

The DRLs for both the US spec wethead RT and GS have always been LEDs, and almost any in-stock GS has been ordered with LED headlights, although you could order them without if you wanted (you may have had to twist the dealer's arm though because if something happened and you backed out of the sale he'd have found that bike hard to sell). I bet this "enhancement" is a lemons to lemonade thing though: the demand for non-LEDs was so low it cost them more to offer them than to make the LED standard. Not sure how they get to four.

I recall reading some time back that BMW didn't want to make the RT headlight too high-tech because it'd reduce product differentiation with the K1600 bikes. Also adding a fancy tilt/steer HID like on the K16 to the RT would be expensive.

I do think it's about damn time they put LED headlights on the RT though.

I am also disappointed with BMW.The hexhead rt's had 2 h-7 headlamp bulbs.My 2015 rt has one and their newest model only has one.BMW wants to talk safety but they can't put a modern headlight on there newest bike! I realize putting the self leveling , turning headlight on the rt will take away the value on the k16 but I don't think it would be a deciding factor when someone wants the k bike. And yes i know i can add Clearwater lights (already have) but i probably would add them anyway. You can't have enough light.My 2015 still runs fantastic so I'm not in a hurry to buy the new one.

Back