• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Room for two up on RTW

Capture.jpg
Courtesy cycle-ergo.com, selecting 2014 R1200RT and 2014 R1200GSA, and using the mouse scroll wheel to superimpose the images.

The GSA seat might be an inch longer, but the rider also seems to sit further back. Adding a top box might change the results, which will vary with rider sizes, anyway. I think a visit to a dealer showroom would be the best way to see how you and your passenger fit.

Probably best to sit test at a dealer that has both in stock....Perhaps take a ride on each for comfort.
OM

Not sure.
Do you have a dealer close by so both of you can sit on a RT and GSA to compare?
Nearest dealer is 200 miles away. My 2016 Gsa is a little cramped for my wife and I when we have full gear on. Our old 1200gsa had more space. I didn’t want to make the trip if someone thought the rt had less or the same room. I’m 6’-2” 200#; wife is 5’-0”, 115#.

Nearest dealer is 200 miles away. My 2016 Gsa is a little cramped for my wife and I when we have full gear on. Our old 1200gsa had more space. I didn’t want to make the trip if someone thought the rt had less or the same room. I’m 6’-2” 200#; wife is 5’-0”, 115#.

I don't know if this helps, but I went from a 2007 K1200LT to a 2015 R1200RTW. The RT has the 49L top box and the GTL passenger back rest, I'm 5'8" 155 lbs and my wife is 5'5" and 125 lbs. She does not feel a bit cramped on the RT compared to the LT and really feels she didn't give up anything in comfort (except armrests) with the switch to the RT. Bottom line as has been suggested, the only way you'll really know is to visit a dealer with your wife and try one out. Good luck with your decision...when mama's happy...well, you know the rest. :)

I have a 2018 RT with a OEM top case. I am 5"10' 195 pounds, wife is 5'2" and 110 pounds. She complains that I sit so far away from her! She is used to the back seat of a Harley bagger plus I have a back rest on the Harley. I think she likes the seating on the snug side.

Back