• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No Can Upload pics, What's up

Wethead

Is there something wrong with this forum interface or have I not learned to use the computer.

Either way, I can't seem to upload a pic.

Ya got any solution?

Is there something wrong with this forum interface or have I not learned to use the computer.

Either way, I can't seem to upload a pic.

Ya got any solution?
Is this something new or your first attempt?
How were you trying to “post a picture”?
OM

I uploaded before. It seems my procedure is not working: I goto 'manage attachment', then 'add files' on the right hand corner, then 'choose file', then I go to my putter and pick a pic and wait for it to get cued, then hit 'upload'.

My problem has been I cannot get to the 'upload'. It keeps telling me there is an error.

I changed my pic to 'thumb-nail-friendly' and still nothing. It won't cue the pic.

You are welcome to go into my account and peddle around for the problem if you think that 'll help. If I am doing something incorrect let me know

Have a peek at Lew's pictorial here about halfway down- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?2021-How-do-I-post-a-picture/page53
I would also try using the "paper-clip" above and follow the prompts......keeping an eye on the activity......not forgetting to click "done" in the lower right hand corner.
While it doesn't sound technical......
You can log out (specifically) and log back in which will reset the system.
We have also had what seems to be ISP specific "glitches" which seem to reset themselves the next day.
Please post how you make out.
OM

Let's see...….

Yup...….followed my normal procedure and got an "upload" error...….Wait and see tomorrow???

BTW dude, what is your point here?

He is saying he tried his normal procedure and it didn't work this time: indicating a problem with the BMW MOA forum site. I then tried and it worked for me. So, maybe the site had a problem that went away. In any event, he was on your side.

He is saying he tried his normal procedure and it didn't work this time: indicating a problem with the BMW MOA forum site. I then tried and it worked for me. So, maybe the site had a problem that went away. In any event, he was on your side.

:thumb

YOU Paul, once again come through with the answer...…...THANKS....God bless

There is also the possibility that the servers between the OPs home and the MOA site were not up to par. Routing info around the internet is quite complex.

:thumb

YOU Paul, once again come through with the answer...…...THANKS....God bless

As it turned out, you guys were right. After about a couple of days of trying it worked. Then again, I changed the pic format about three times; I can't even remember which format it finally loaded. At any rate, I thought I share my Splash-guards with the folks

Still can't upload pics, never have been able to and I'm no novice at posting attachments on several boards over the last decade or more.

Just the way it is, and if I have to use a workaround for this forum only, it's not worth the time nor effort to post anything. VBulletin is very simple for attachment downloads, but NOT here.

:dunno

Sorry about that. You seem to be the exception to the rule. Unless there are dozens and dozens of other members with problems which we don't here about, it must be something on your end.

Sorry about that. You seem to be the exception to the rule. Unless there are dozens and dozens of other members with problems which we don't here about, it must be something on your end.

Not sure it could be my end, I can post pics on 8 different forums with VBulletin without issue. Have never been able to post them here, same pics as other forums just brings error messages.

My guess is this forum is more restrictive in size and format, though for the life I me I can't understand why this place would be different than every other VBulletin run forum.

You are correct that there is a size restriction...these restrictions/sizes have been around for a long time, probably going back to when the forum was first set up. Back then, disk space was something of a premium. At this point, without better directions from our IT support, I would be reluctant to drastically increase those sizes.

But you probably realize, as I hope that most of our members do, there is absolutely no reason to upload a file much larger than say 800x600...it just over powers the computer screen and would require a user to use scroll bars on either size of the screen in order to view the picture. And most monitors don't have the resolution to show a 16Megapixel picture. So, the size restrictions actually help a bit in that regard. Linking pictures from another online site doesn't follow these restrictions, but it still doesn't make sense to link in a HUGE image.

There are two basic ways to upload a picture. One is using the small picture icon in the tool bar above the message box. The other way is to use the Manage Attachments link in the options boxes at the bottom of the message box. It is this second method where the limitations of the pictures shows up. So, if someone wants to upload a picture, that is what they should shoot for.

That said, I think the forum software has some compression features built that will attempt to resample the image down to a size that will fit the limitations. However, the software can only do so much. If the original file is just too big, the compression routine will fail leaving the user unclear as to what happened. But if someone does have that sort of failure, that is the first thing one should check. Find a way, and there are numerous ways, to resample the picture down to something like 1000x800 pixels and a size of around 200-300Mb. If people will help out on their end to fit these rough guidelines, I really don't think there would be any problems with uploading images.

As an aside, there is also a restriction of how many pictures can be uploaded per post...it's 3 or 5 but I forget at this point. Again, a nod to the older days to keep the content that needs to be saved on our servers down a bit. Even on the hot-linking side, there is a limit there as well. This tends to be necessary to help with load times when you open a post. It sure miffs me a bit, when I open a post with 40-50 links and images...just takes took long to navigate these types of posts.

20774 ,

As I mentioned, all my phone and digital camera pics get posted just fine, so if it's a size restriction based on the stone age, perhaps the powers that be could free up some more digital space and allowances like every other forum. I only post on 7-8 but belong to maybe 20 where over the years there's never been such a problem posting standard pics from a phone or digi camera

Last edited:
20774 ,

As I mentioned, all my phone and digital camera pics get posted just fine, so if it's a size restriction based on the stone age, perhaps the powers that be could free up some more digital space and allowances like very other forum.

I gotta go with brownie here. I don't have any trouble posting pics anywhere else. And, this ain't the first time I heard folks struggling with this.

It seems to me, if you wanna make this forum user-friendly then you have to adjust to the times and facilitate the user needs rather than maintain restrictions based on some scrolling rationale what else may be. Technical issues on a forum board should adjust to the user not the other way around.

And also do think: if this difficulty continue people will just go post somewhere else. I would suspect that is not the impetus of this board.

I am not trying to be rude, or malicious, I am just stating a perspective which I hope will help whoever is in charge of this board to improve pic posting for the benefit of the board users...and that you don't lose clientele. (hope I didn't offend anyone)

Back