Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: US 285 CarlsbadNM to PecosTX hazard

Quote Originally Posted by texasdw View Post
    Thanksgiving break I rode from Houston to Carlsbad, just to spend the day in the cavern. I unsuspectedly just took that darn road because it was a straight shot and I had no idea. Death highway. Never again buddy, never again. The heck of it is if you go to Van Horn then due north it's one of the most beautiful roads I've ridden.
    It is a nice route, indeed. From Alpine to Carlsbad it is only 30 miles further through Van Horn compared to through Pecos. Time-wise it might be a wash depending on traffic. And considering safety it is a no-brainer. It appears to me that at some point in the not too distant future, entire counties could be Superfund sites. The environmental degradation is horrendous.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thanksgiving break I rode from Houston to Carlsbad, just to spend the day in the cavern. I unsuspectedly just took that darn road because it was a straight shot and I had no idea. Death highway. Never again buddy, never again. The heck of it is if you go to Van Horn then due north it's one of the most beautiful roads I've ridden.
    Welcome to the forum

Well, now you know! And as you discovered, there is a better choice.

As Paul also mentions, the environmental impact in this area will be a world lesson at some point which is a sad thing to see. Hoping Balmorhea Springs survive the onslaught.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

The other thing I kept thinking while down in the cavern is how all this drilling/ fracking etc might end up impacting the caverns. Carlsbad cavern is only one of the many in the area, and many are still being explored, not open to the public, and a potential wealth of scientific information. Kinda frightening to think how "progress" might be colliding with those natural resources, and how, really there is just so much unknown yet, both about the caverns, and about the impact of the oil boom on all those environmental features.

Mind you, I'm no environmentalist, but it just seems like there's so little consideration given to these issues.

The other thing I kept thinking while down in the cavern is how all this drilling/ fracking etc might end up impacting the caverns. Carlsbad cavern is only one of the many in the area, and many are still being explored, not open to the public, and a potential wealth of scientific information. Kinda frightening to think how "progress" might be colliding with those natural resources, and how, really there is just so much unknown yet, both about the caverns, and about the impact of the oil boom on all those environmental features.

Mind you, I'm no environmentalist, but it just seems like there's so little consideration given to these issues.
    On the contrary, the geology of the area has been extensively studied ... to provide for the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant, where lots of nuclear waste is being stored underground.

https://energy.sandia.gov/energy/nuc...ment-programs/
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

We are doomed.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Looking for input on the viability of this route the first week of March.

https://goo.gl/maps/kEHu3exGYUG2
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

The route from the Park to Van Horn and Dell City is almost certain to be fine at that time. Some freak storm is always possible but not likely. The likelihood of a problem would be a bit higher in the New Mexico part of the route.