Thread: BMW shift-cam technology

BMW shift-cam technology

My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quite a discussion on the new engine and this technology in the Wethead forum-
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-1254cc-Engine
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I wasn't sure whether this new motor series will still be called "wet heads," or whether a new nickname will be used.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Shiftheads

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Camhead
    Walter

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
    H. L. Mencken

Mostly, it should be called “an answer to the question that nobody asked.” The current versions of the R1200 engine make plenty of smooth and tractable power and have demonstrated excellent reliability while keeping maintenance complexity and cost under control. The cam-shift design is almost certainly going to increase maintenance costs for a simple task like checking valve clearances (2 lobes per valve) and initial purchase price.

If BMW is looking for something to change or improve on the boxers they could start with things like rebuildable suspension as OEM, improved integration of electronics and comms (Bluetooth that works reliably, for instance), basic reliability improvement on driveline components, and so on. IOW, things that directly impact the owner sitting in the saddle. If a rider wants more horsepower and complexity in a well-sorted street platform BMW already addresses that with the S1000XR.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Mostly, it should be called “an answer to the question that nobody asked.” The current versions of the R1200 engine make plenty of smooth and tractable power and have demonstrated excellent reliability while keeping maintenance complexity and cost under control. The cam-shift design is almost certainly going to increase maintenance costs for a simple task like checking valve clearances (2 lobes per valve) and initial purchase price.

If BMW is looking for something to change or improve on the boxers they could start with things like rebuildable suspension as OEM, improved integration of electronics and comms (Bluetooth that works reliably, for instance), basic reliability improvement on driveline components, and so on. IOW, things that directly impact the owner sitting in the saddle. If a rider wants more horsepower and complexity in a well-sorted street platform BMW already addresses that with the S1000XR.

Best,
    DG
    Magazine journalists are your enemy. They like horsepower, they like glitz, and no one likes to be ranked last.

Case in point, "soft touch" materials in cars. Another word will shrink, crack and look and feel like hell in 10 years.

Or This bike weights 20 lbs more than the competition. then you get thin plastics, more plastic, lighter drivetrain, etc.

Ever see any journalist say these shock will need replaced in 3 years or less to the tune of 4K. There goes your resale. That would be career death, just like pointing out that a 700 dollar helmet is not likely to protect any better than a $150 dollar helmet.

Oh and clearance is adjusted n the base circle, that is the same for both cams. No extra cost until the actuator fails.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Magazine journalists are your enemy. They like horsepower, they like glitz, and no one likes to be ranked last.

Case in point, "soft touch" materials in cars. Another word will shrink, crack and look and feel like hell in 10 years.

Or This bike weights 20 lbs more than the competition. then you get thin plastics, more plastic, lighter drivetrain, etc.

Ever see any journalist say these shock will need replaced in 3 years or less to the tune of 4K. There goes your resale. That would be career death, just like pointing out that a 700 dollar helmet is not likely to protect any better than a $150 dollar helmet.

Oh and clearance is adjusted n the base circle, that is the same for both cams. No extra cost until the actuator fails.

Rod
    For twenty years I read what they wrote about turn signals they hated and I got used to in 1986. Sheesh!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    The cam-shift design is almost certainly going to increase maintenance costs for a simple task like checking valve clearances (2 lobes per valve) and initial purchase price.
    Valves are adjusted while the cam is on the base circle (zero lift) and should be the same for both cams. I can't see valve adjustment being any different with this technology.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    Valves are adjusted while the cam is on the base circle (zero lift) and should be the same for both cams. I can't see valve adjustment being any different with this technology.
    Well, we will know for sure when the flat rate tables are released, along with the special tools list. And I long ago gave up assigning any credence to the ramblings of moto-journalists. I’d be much more interested in reading the results of a survey amongst present owners, asking which changes they would most like BMW to make; a valve train redesign or any of the changes I listed in my previous post.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Pretty cool. "Souvereign acceleration and impressive elasticity" now there's a catch phrase. Moto journalists, more like ad copy writers, real journalism died a long time ago, I haven't subscribed to any publications for 20 years.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    Shiftheads

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Somebody called me a shift head once. At least I think that's what they said...
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...