• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alaska

mojoman

Hi Everyone:

I am working on a plan to ride from Edmonton, Alberta to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Alaska and then up the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay. The plan is to trailer the bike to Edmonton and two wheel it from there. I know that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience to tap into on this forum so if anyone would like to share their experiences with me it would be greatly appreciated. I can give you my email address to make things easier.

I am planning to limit each days ride time so it does not become an endurance race and I also have a few days off planned so we can do some fishing, take a train ride, etc, etc. The plan at the moment is to allow four weeks to do this since there is so much to see and do.

So please open up and share anything you have with me.

Thanks in advance.
Ron Keys
Newcastle Ontario, Canada

Hey Ron, I just got back from a month long trip to Alaska. I rode from Michigan there and back and covered 10,700 miles. My highlights were Jasper/Banff Park, Arctic circle, Top of the world, Denali Park, Homer Ak, the Glenn highway and many more. I didn’t go to Prudhoe Bay, just to the circle and back. I stayed at the dorm rooms at U of Alaska Fairbanks and highly recommend that. It’s cheap and clean and free laundry. I’d be happy to answer any questions, just shoot me an email at emhoff72@hotmail.com. Jerry

We lived in Fairbanks for many years and have traveled back and forth about a dozen times. I was last up in Alaska and The Yukon in 2017. PM me with any questions you may have.

Question

Hi Ron
I'v never been to Alaska so I can't offer you any advice. However I do have a few questions about your trip. When do you plan to leave? How many have signed up to ride with you? Do you have room for another tag along? Have you a planned route from your home to Alaska? Thank you.

My Alaska trip is beginning to fade. Two guys that were going with me want to do the Dempster Highway. I've seen too many mud covered bikes to bother with that. I raced in enough mud back in my motocross days to last me a lifetime. Got back surgery coming up so everything rides on the outcome of that.

My Alaska trip is beginning to fade. Two guys that were going with me want to do the Dempster Highway. I've seen too many mud covered bikes to bother with that. I raced in enough mud back in my motocross days to last me a lifetime. Got back surgery coming up so everything rides on the outcome of that.

Sorry to hear your Alaska ride is falling through. I would not do a mud road either. Hope your back surgery goes will and you will be back riding.:wave

Why not delay a final decision until you get to Dawson City and know what the weather is going to be? Certainly, the Dempster is to be avoided when there has been, or will be, substantial rain, but if it is dry, then the road becomes much more rideable. The horrible pictures of mud covered bikes that have been posted recently were taken on the new road that runs from Inuvik to Tuk, I believe. That road is still under development, but when dry appears to be rideable as well.

I am heading to Alaska solo on or around 24 May from Northern Florida. Plan on taking two weeks up and two weeks back and that gives me a week to hang out in Fairbanks or wherever and get home around July 1st. I will boot it from here up to Wyoming and then slow down to 400 miles a day or so. Definitely want to ride Beartooth Pass on the way up. Definitely want to take the Cassier as well. I also want to go to Prudhoe Bay. Will be on my RT and plan on camping two out of every three days or so. Not sure of the route back yet but probably through the Dakotas.

This forum has provided me with a wealth of useful information on making the trip so thanks to all who have made the trip and contributed their advice here. I am sure to have some questions as I get closer to leaving and will reach out for help as needed. Hope to see some of you out on the road. John

If you’re not willing to ride unpaved roads you’re missing out on some of the best scenery and experiences that AK, the Yukon, and the NWT have to offer. It’s all about watching and knowing the weather forecast, allowing enough trip time to be able to spend a few days waiting out the weather, and remaining flexible.

Best,
DG

I think you will have a plate a bit too full. I have been asked several times what the most important thing to take on an Alaska trip is. My answer always is "time". Yes, you can do the miles but will miss many of the interesting things along the way. Plan for less; do more.

Totally agree on time being needed to do it right. My five week trip could easily turn into six if need be. I cannot do any longer than six though. Definitely plan on running plenty of dirt roads and seeing whatever I can.

I am heading to Alaska solo on or around 24 May from Northern Florida. Plan on taking two weeks up and two weeks back and that gives me a week to hang out in Fairbanks or wherever and get home around July 1st. I will boot it from here up to Wyoming and then slow down to 400 miles a day or so. Definitely want to ride Beartooth Pass on the way up. Definitely want to take the Cassier as well. I also want to go to Prudhoe Bay. Will be on my RT and plan on camping two out of every three days or so. Not sure of the route back yet but probably through the Dakotas.

This forum has provided me with a wealth of useful information on making the trip so thanks to all who have made the trip and contributed their advice here. I am sure to have some questions as I get closer to leaving and will reach out for help as needed. Hope to see some of you out on the road. John

..... Last year in spring of 2018... the Beartooth Pass did NOT Open; it wasn't until June 2nd (a summer month actually) that it opened all the way. Google it.
Your "plan" is very aggressive at 400mi a day anywhere up in BC (Cassier) and YT. And the Prudhoe trip (on an RT???) vs the Kenai Peninsula will have you missing a huge section of must see AK, if you only have maybe 10 days or so in the state. Like Paul states above... Time is important out that way.
I had 12 days inside AK in 2017... it was about 3 short of idea.

"travel'n" john

Last edited:
Oil change

I am not sure where the best place is to post this, but decided to start here. I really don’t want to use the Anonymous book as I assume that is really reserved for on-road emergencies.

I am leaving in a week to ride from PA to Alaska. Given the distance, I would like to do an oil change before heading home. I can probably get into a dealer in Fairbanks or Anchorage, but I generally do all of my own work and would rather do the change myself if I can find someone to loan me a drain pan and funnel. I carry all of the tools I need for the job.

I am wondering if there might be someone in Alaska, Fairbanks, Anchorage or otherwise, that might be willing to let me use some driveway or garage space and their drain pan and funnel. I am certainly happy to compensate you for your time and trouble and pay for the used oil disposal cost.

If there is a better place in the forum to post such a request, please let me know that as well.

TIA.

I am not sure where the best place is to post this, but decided to start here. I really don’t want to use the Anonymous book as I assume that is really reserved for on-road emergencies.

I am leaving in a week to ride from PA to Alaska. Given the distance, I would like to do an oil change before heading home. I can probably get into a dealer in Fairbanks or Anchorage, but I generally do all of my own work and would rather do the change myself if I can find someone to loan me a drain pan and funnel. I carry all of the tools I need for the job.

I am wondering if there might be someone in Alaska, Fairbanks, Anchorage or otherwise, that might be willing to let me use some driveway or garage space and their drain pan and funnel. I am certainly happy to compensate you for your time and trouble and pay for the used oil disposal cost.

If there is a better place in the forum to post such a request, please let me know that as well.

TIA.

Try posting over on ADVRider (https://advrider.com/f/forums/alaska.68/). This is the Alaska forum and there are several people on it from Fairbanks or Anchorage. Ask for help and you will likely get it. Alternatively, go to a Fred Meyer or Walmart, buy a disposable turkey cooking pan and a funnel, ask their auto service department if they will take your used oil (do that first actually). The ones in Fairbanks have done this in the past, but it has been 8 years since I lived there.

Try posting over on ADVRider (https://advrider.com/f/forums/alaska.68/). This is the Alaska forum and there are several people on it from Fairbanks or Anchorage. Ask for help and you will likely get it. Alternatively, go to a Fred Meyer or Walmart, buy a disposable turkey cooking pan and a funnel, ask their auto service department if they will take your used oil (do that first actually). The ones in Fairbanks have done this in the past, but it has been 8 years since I lived there.

Last June I did an oil change in the side parking lot of the O’Reilly’s in Fairbanks. There are two; you need to hit the one that handles oil recycling. I bought an oil pan, oil, and funnel along with a roll of shop towels. When I was done, they recycled the oil and I donated the oil pan and funnel back to them with the comment that perhaps it might become a loaner for them. I was very careful to leave no trace, spreading out a small tarp under the bike before I started. The manager there was a woman and was great to work with—I was straightforward with her on my plans and explained my “leave no trace” plan. She said that while they were usually ok with people changing batteries, alternators, and such in the parking lot, they normally didn’t allow oil changes—then gave me the go-ahead for the side lot. I had a great experience there.

YMMV, as always.

Best,
DG

Thanks, I haven’t frequented the ADVrider forum much since my LT isn’t exactly an “adventure” bike. Although, having bought a KLR650 last summer, I probably qualify now. :)

I did an oil change a couple of years ago in the parking lot of an O-Reilly’s in Gallup, NM, but it was a little awkward. I had a couple of native american beggars who kept hovering around offering to “help” for a fee of course. I’d rather have a slightly more private space to work next time if possible, but certainly a WalMart or auto parts store is a fall-back plan.

I see that Voyager has an offer from an Alaskan inmate to use an aircraft hanger to change his oil. Took an hour or so after his post on ADVRider.

Yes, a fantastic offer. Confirming now if the timing will work, but if so this is a far better than expected scenario.

Thanks for the advice to use ADVrider. I can see I need to spend more time on that forum.

Back