Thread: Alaska

Alaska

Hi Everyone:

I am working on a plan to ride from Edmonton, Alberta to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Alaska and then up the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay. The plan is to trailer the bike to Edmonton and two wheel it from there. I know that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience to tap into on this forum so if anyone would like to share their experiences with me it would be greatly appreciated. I can give you my email address to make things easier.

I am planning to limit each days ride time so it does not become an endurance race and I also have a few days off planned so we can do some fishing, take a train ride, etc, etc. The plan at the moment is to allow four weeks to do this since there is so much to see and do.

So please open up and share anything you have with me.

Thanks in advance.
    Ron Keys
    Newcastle Ontario, Canada

Why not ride from home?
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Jerry Emhoff
    Hey Ron, I just got back from a month long trip to Alaska. I rode from Michigan there and back and covered 10,700 miles. My highlights were Jasper/Banff Park, Arctic circle, Top of the world, Denali Park, Homer Ak, the Glenn highway and many more. I didnít go to Prudhoe Bay, just to the circle and back. I stayed at the dorm rooms at U of Alaska Fairbanks and highly recommend that. Itís cheap and clean and free laundry. Iíd be happy to answer any questions, just shoot me an email at emhoff72@hotmail.com. Jerry
    Winter is coming

We lived in Fairbanks for many years and have traveled back and forth about a dozen times. I was last up in Alaska and The Yukon in 2017. PM me with any questions you may have.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl's MT Outpost
    2017 R1200GSA & 2013 FJR

Question

Hi Ron
    I'v never been to Alaska so I can't offer you any advice. However I do have a few questions about your trip. When do you plan to leave? How many have signed up to ride with you? Do you have room for another tag along? Have you a planned route from your home to Alaska? Thank you.

My Alaska trip is beginning to fade. Two guys that were going with me want to do the Dempster Highway. I've seen too many mud covered bikes to bother with that. I raced in enough mud back in my motocross days to last me a lifetime. Got back surgery coming up so everything rides on the outcome of that.

I think I would just hang around Dawson City until they got back
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65

Quote Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
    My Alaska trip is beginning to fade. Two guys that were going with me want to do the Dempster Highway. I've seen too many mud covered bikes to bother with that. I raced in enough mud back in my motocross days to last me a lifetime. Got back surgery coming up so everything rides on the outcome of that.
    Sorry to hear your Alaska ride is falling through. I would not do a mud road either. Hope your back surgery goes will and you will be back riding.

Why not delay a final decision until you get to Dawson City and know what the weather is going to be? Certainly, the Dempster is to be avoided when there has been, or will be, substantial rain, but if it is dry, then the road becomes much more rideable. The horrible pictures of mud covered bikes that have been posted recently were taken on the new road that runs from Inuvik to Tuk, I believe. That road is still under development, but when dry appears to be rideable as well.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl's MT Outpost
    2017 R1200GSA & 2013 FJR