Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    I am not sure where the best place is to post this, but decided to start here. I really don’t want to use the Anonymous book as I assume that is really reserved for on-road emergencies.

I am leaving in a week to ride from PA to Alaska. Given the distance, I would like to do an oil change before heading home. I can probably get into a dealer in Fairbanks or Anchorage, but I generally do all of my own work and would rather do the change myself if I can find someone to loan me a drain pan and funnel. I carry all of the tools I need for the job.

I am wondering if there might be someone in Alaska, Fairbanks, Anchorage or otherwise, that might be willing to let me use some driveway or garage space and their drain pan and funnel. I am certainly happy to compensate you for your time and trouble and pay for the used oil disposal cost.

If there is a better place in the forum to post such a request, please let me know that as well.

TIA.
    Try posting over on ADVRider (https://advrider.com/f/forums/alaska.68/). This is the Alaska forum and there are several people on it from Fairbanks or Anchorage. Ask for help and you will likely get it. Alternatively, go to a Fred Meyer or Walmart, buy a disposable turkey cooking pan and a funnel, ask their auto service department if they will take your used oil (do that first actually). The ones in Fairbanks have done this in the past, but it has been 8 years since I lived there.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Try posting over on ADVRider (https://advrider.com/f/forums/alaska.68/). This is the Alaska forum and there are several people on it from Fairbanks or Anchorage. Ask for help and you will likely get it. Alternatively, go to a Fred Meyer or Walmart, buy a disposable turkey cooking pan and a funnel, ask their auto service department if they will take your used oil (do that first actually). The ones in Fairbanks have done this in the past, but it has been 8 years since I lived there.
    Last June I did an oil change in the side parking lot of the O’Reilly’s in Fairbanks. There are two; you need to hit the one that handles oil recycling. I bought an oil pan, oil, and funnel along with a roll of shop towels. When I was done, they recycled the oil and I donated the oil pan and funnel back to them with the comment that perhaps it might become a loaner for them. I was very careful to leave no trace, spreading out a small tarp under the bike before I started. The manager there was a woman and was great to work with—I was straightforward with her on my plans and explained my “leave no trace” plan. She said that while they were usually ok with people changing batteries, alternators, and such in the parking lot, they normally didn’t allow oil changes—then gave me the go-ahead for the side lot. I had a great experience there.

YMMV, as always.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Thanks, I haven’t frequented the ADVrider forum much since my LT isn’t exactly an “adventure” bike. Although, having bought a KLR650 last summer, I probably qualify now.

I did an oil change a couple of years ago in the parking lot of an O-Reilly’s in Gallup, NM, but it was a little awkward. I had a couple of native american beggars who kept hovering around offering to “help” for a fee of course. I’d rather have a slightly more private space to work next time if possible, but certainly a WalMart or auto parts store is a fall-back plan.

I see that Voyager has an offer from an Alaskan inmate to use an aircraft hanger to change his oil. Took an hour or so after his post on ADVRider.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Yes, a fantastic offer. Confirming now if the timing will work, but if so this is a far better than expected scenario.

Thanks for the advice to use ADVrider. I can see I need to spend more time on that forum.

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Thumbs up You have that right...

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Yes, a fantastic offer. Confirming now if the timing will work, but if so this is a far better than expected scenario.

Thanks for the advice to use ADVrider. I can see I need to spend more time on that forum.
    If going to AK on motorbike... consult ADVRider. Read/Study and take notes, its the gold standard for AK related stories/articles...
    on everything that WILL effect you there.

Example: By simply buying the oil at Fairbanks WallMart, they supplied the pan, recycled the used, and even had some cardboard to work off of.

"travel'n" John

Jerry Emhoff
    I did this last summer at the Fairbanks Walmart. I bought the oil from them and they gave me a pan to use. Just remember to take a filter and the wrench to remove it. I changed it around back by the garage and when I was done they showed me where to dump the oil and dispose of the filter.
    Winter is coming

Just got back form 30 day, Calgary to Prudhoe Bay and back to Vancouver. Deadhorse / Prudhoe bay is do it once so you can say you did it, but not even top three roads there for me: Top of the World Highway, Denali Highway and road to McCarthy are my three favourites! Dawson City, Valdez and McCarthy were my favorites towns!

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Thumbs up

Nicccce! A few people always wonder how much time they need... at 30 days from your home, you had enough of it without hurrying it would seem.

"trave'n" john