Thread: Garmin "Curvy Road" Operation

Garmin "Curvy Road" Operation

I have a Nav V with all the latest updates to the maps and software. Normally, I use the GPS in "Faster Time" Navigation Calculation mode. Today, I left Waterloo Ontario and was heading back to my home in Toronto. I started taking a couple of back roads that I know, rather than taking the highway, and the GPS indicated the distance to my destination as 122 kilometers.

As the GPS wanted to route me to the highway(s), I decided to change the calculation mode to "Curvy Roads" and have it recalculate. It took the GPS a couple of minutes and when it finally had the calculation done, it indicated a distance to home of 2,192 kilometers!

I figured this had to be some kind of error, so I flipped the calculation mode back to Faster Time and recalculated (122 kilometers again) and then changed it to Curvy roads and let it recalculate and it was 2,192 Kilometers again.

What's up? Am I doing something wrong?
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT

It must be a very "Curvy Road". You should try it.

Where does the route take you? Half that distance would reach Tulsa, Oklahoma, or the eastern tip of Nova Scotia.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

The Garmin 590/595 have the ability to see a map of the route as well. I'd look at that. It might be interesting.

The coding in the Garmin Curvy Road option does not seem to be that great in comparison with TomTom's. I know of a wonderful curvy, hilly country road between my place and a little town called Duval. It's a motorcyclist's delight. TomTom's equivalent routing will take me on that. Garmin's routing wants to take me on a lot of residential side streets.

I have two Garmin GPS's. Both want to take me on a side jaunt to Eastern Washington over the Cascade Mountains to just go north to Mt. Baker. It's only about a 300 mile side trip...

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Curvy Roads

I was riding in the Kawartha's a couple weekends ago and pressed go home on my Nav VI. ETA seemed about right. But, what I had not at first realized is that it was for the next day! It wanted to take me up to North Bay and then back around to get to just north of Toronto (Woodbridge, home). It took me a few kms heading North East, when I live South West, to realize. I pushed the X and went old school and kept the sun pointed at my right shoulder and found my way home. The curvy roads feature usually works, but sometimes those curvy roads are further than we're willing to go, eh?!

Quote Originally Posted by bobs_one View Post
    I have a Nav V with all the latest updates to the maps and software. Normally, I use the GPS in "Faster Time" Navigation Calculation mode. Today, I left Waterloo Ontario and was heading back to my home in Toronto. I started taking a couple of back roads that I know, rather than taking the highway, and the GPS indicated the distance to my destination as 122 kilometers.

As the GPS wanted to route me to the highway(s), I decided to change the calculation mode to "Curvy Roads" and have it recalculate. It took the GPS a couple of minutes and when it finally had the calculation done, it indicated a distance to home of 2,192 kilometers!

I figured this had to be some kind of error, so I flipped the calculation mode back to Faster Time and recalculated (122 kilometers again) and then changed it to Curvy roads and let it recalculate and it was 2,192 Kilometers again.

What's up? Am I doing something wrong?

Garmin Response

So, I emailed the question to Garmin. This is their "helpful" response:

Hello Bob,

Depending on your navigation settings and the specific area you are routing to and from a route calculated on curvy road can be drastically longer than if you use one of the direct routing options.

The curvy road feature will avoid most major roadways and seek out roads that have curves and go through scenic areas. It would be normal for it to add a significant length to a route.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Not really very helpful. Interestingly, when I try the same thing in Basecamp, the "curvy road" routing is just few kilometers longer than the fastest time route. It's obviously an issue with the Software in the GPS.
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT

I've tried several times to use the curvy road feature on my Nav V. Never again.

If it can't easily find a reasonable curvy road nearby, it will route you through housing developments and other extraneous roads.

Ex: Heading West to Syracuse, NY once, I was on a two lane going 55 leading three other friends. It told me to turn left onto a side road which looked like it would follow a river; "That's good" I thought. It headed us into a small housing development with about 6 stop signs and short cross-roads only to loop right back onto the two lane.
    2015 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by craigjv4 View Post
    I...If it can't easily find a reasonable curvy road nearby, it will route you through housing developments and other extraneous roads...
    That was my experience on a couple occasions. There's a wonderful winding road out in the country nearby. It's tucked next to some hillsides overlooking a valley with fields, a river, etc. The TomTom GPS app on my phone routes me on that road. The Garmin GPS wants to take me through residential streets to get the requisite curviness to the route, complete with stop signs, speed bumps and a 25 mph speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    That was my experience on a couple occasions. There's a wonderful winding road out in the country nearby. It's tucked next to some hillsides overlooking a valley with fields, a river, etc. The TomTom GPS app on my phone routes me on that road. The Garmin GPS wants to take me through residential streets to get the requisite curviness to the route, complete with stop signs, speed bumps and a 25 mph speed limit.
    I would think that using the option which doesn't work is more or less futile. Why bother?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Using it twice on routes you know as an experiment, is how you find out it isn't worth pursuing further.

Seeing how it can work wonderfully on a competitor's GPS app, shows you that it is possible with the right programming.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I would think that using the option which doesn't work is more or less futile. Why bother?
    I'm curious...how would you propose knowing the option didn't work without trying it and giving it a couple tries?

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post

I'm curious...how would you propose knowing the option didn't work without trying it and giving it a couple tries?
    I wouldn't except for the expert testimonials I read about it here.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I wouldn't except for the expert testimonials I read about it here.
    So the expert testimonials say it doesn't work either? Then what's your point?

13. 09-21-2018, 11:14 PM
    Reason
    not needed