• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member from St Louis

clegg

In my small journey (54 miles away) I went to buy a dirt bike. I started talking with the owner and he said he had an old BMW in his garage. I asked if I could see it, the bike looked pretty decent. I then convinced him to sell it to me. I did of course verify that the engine kicked over. It's an R75/5. The vin plate has a build date of 12/69 so i would assume it would be a 1970.
I've sourced the fuel tank knee pads and a few other missing parts. I did get it running also.

I did buy the Yamaha dirt bike also.

IMG_2907.JPG

Welcome

Nice looking bike look up the the airhead Beemer Club and join it will be about the best $30 you have ever spent the members have so much knowledge and are so willing to share it. The Missouri Air Marshel is Joe Brinkmen lives in St Louis also ( moairhead@yahoo.com). Send a PM if you need more info I live about 40 miles from St. Louis in Staunton Il.

Welcome! Kewl, a two-fer!! Yes, 1970 was the first model year of the /5. Congrats!!

my 750/5 is from 6/70

The tank fuel cap on your bike is hinged at the front and opens towards the front (steering head side). From the next production year on, the cap was reversed, hinged at the rear and opening to the rear. The caps are interchangeable. The carbs do not have vacuum ports for tuning. There are no fuses in the electrical system - anywhere, making these early electrical systems somewhat more fragile than earlier or later bikes (several /5 electrical components can be found on the fire wall of BF 109's and ME 262's). The engine performance and your enjoyment of the bike will be improved by the addition of an electronic ignition. The front fork assembly on your 70/5 is the same as the 68/2US. These were the first BMW's for me too but they were new at the time. Welcome, Nice find - ! What dirt bike?

Last edited:
Back