Thread: Critique my Riding style please

Critique my Riding style please

I use my 1999 R1100 GS to commute to my summer gig which is about 15 miles each way on two way roads that gets a lot of Police attention. The speed limits vary from 35 in some spots to 40 and 45. A very short portion is 55 mph. I have 15 traffic lights along my route. I tend to never shift above fourth gear preferring to keep my rpms around 3,000 - 3,200 hoping this is making my battery happing. It also eliminates multiple downshifts as I approach must red lights in second gear hoping to time them.

Thoughts, ideas, criticisms........?
    Dr. Raoul Duke
    1999 R1100GSA
    1974 R90/6 with Ural Sidecar

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

‘«ŰHunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by DRRAOULDUKE View Post
    I use my 1999 R1100 GS to commute to my summer gig which is about 15 miles each way on two way roads that gets a lot of Police attention. The speed limits vary from 35 in some spots to 40 and 45. A very short portion is 55 mph. I have 15 traffic lights along my route. I tend to never shift above fourth gear preferring to keep my rpms around 3,000 - 3,200 hoping this is making my battery happing. It also eliminates multiple downshifts as I approach must red lights in second gear hoping to time them.

Sounds like my old commute to work, except I also had a mile or so at 25 mph. That rpm range worked best, faster was unnecessary, lower was on the verge of lugging the engine and made my R1200RT gas mileage drop from 49 to about 42 mpg.

I eventually made the only improvement possible, I eliminated the commute by retiring.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I keep the rpm's to 3-3200 when shifting and leave it in a gear that keeps those rpm's constant until I'm in 5th or 6th riding up onto the highway at then at highway speeds.

2nd and 3rd shifts many times at 2500rpm if I'm not buzzing around and just leisurely riding around town.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Critique my Riding style please

...Thoughts, ideas, criticisms........?
    You're a brave man.

But in my opinion, the technique you describe is fine.
    Last edited by Rinty; 09-13-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Smile

A few thoughts.

With the route you describe having speed limits that vascilate between only 35 and 55 mph, continue to pay close attention to where the higher speeds are legal (speed changes only take effect as the sign is reached - not when it's simply visible to you from afar).

Trying to "time them" as far as traffic signals turning from red to green to avoid any semblance of stopping? - not such a good practice. 'Jack rabbit' take-offs from a green light sends too many motorcyclists to the ER or morgue each year from idiots who are running the red light from either your right or left. Slowing to a stop (in first or second) and hesitating a moment to make sure the intersection is clear is much safer.

Lastly, we run into your concern for battery charging all the time here at the track with our MSF classes. All day long at too low of RPM's does nothing to charge up batteries on the Yamaha fleet. Consider your ride home several times a week to include a longer, higher speed route. Enjoy the variety, change of scenery and charge up the battery in the process.

Happy (and safe) commuting.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track