• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Microsoft Surface device users..advice needed.

DBCasey

Enjoy the ride!
Surface users/computer guru's,

I curently have a Acer Aspire V5 and a Asus laptop. Both are 8+ years old. The Acer is my travel and the Asus is my home device. I'm looking to replace both with a single device.
I'd like something I can travel with on my bike and on flights.
I want something that runs a Microsoft OS.
USB plug is necessary. (Garmin/Sena/GS-911 interface)
MS Office or something similar would be nice to have also.
My Mrs recently brought her work Surface Pro home and I was able to check it out. I like the look/feel/features of it. The pen was a nice feature. I also liked the keyboard fit and feel. That's why I'm leaning toward a Surface device.
I'll be using the device for general computing things (internet searches, storing music/photos/videos, GS-911/Garmin/Sena updater.) No heavy computing needs, at least not what I'd consider heavy. I want whatever I get to have sufficient RAM/memory to support my needs.

I think I want a version of the Microsoft Surface. I'd appreciate any advice on the big differences between the versions of the Surface. If there's a different device that you'd recommend, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your time and your help.

DBC

I'd go with either the Laptop or Pro. I really liked my work Pro when I had it, enough power to do everything I needed to do as an IT admin. I never really got in to the pen much, but one of my coworkers almost exclusively used the pen.

my short experience with a Surface Pro device was that it worked fine, but … very limited on-board storage capability. I guess if you use "the cloud" (whatever that is) you prolly will not even notice that particular shortcoming.

Since you're thinking of a Microsoft Surface that can act as both a laptop and have the power of a desktop, let me mention another option. The Acer Alpha Switch 5. https://us-store.acer.com/laptops/detachable/switch-5-laptop-sw512-52-77cb

I bought one a couple years ago from Costco and have loved it. If I was looking to replace mine...I'd buy another. It is small enough to take on trips and not take up much space, yet I have it plugged in right now on my desk where it is connected to two LCD screens and a full-size keyboard. It's pretty versatile.

I think you'll find it compares very favorably with a Microsoft Surface Pro...but less expensive. Like the Surface Pro, the keyboard detaches so you can use it like a tablet. Rotate the display. And use a stylus too.

Chris

Am on my 2nd Surface Pro....Had a 3 and now have had this 4 for a couple of years. Make sure you get the extended Warranty program. This gives not only protection for the device but customer service for answering those hard to figure out problems with "how to do" or why something is happening......Yes they actually help you.
Got rid of my dinosaur after it setting for a couple of years and not even turning it on. I use this also for graphic design and light video editing. Storage is yes, in the cloud which to me, is like a huge disk drive; but up there in the ether somewhere. Yes, it takes those little chip storage thing that is onboard but have never used one as the cloud works for me......I cant complain bout it. Yes, I travel with it and it gets banged around a bit. Make sure you get a protective case of one kind or another for it...…..Good luck....Dennis

my short experience with a Surface Pro device was that it worked fine, but … very limited on-board storage capability. I guess if you use "the cloud" (whatever that is) you prolly will not even notice that particular shortcoming.

BTW, I gave my Surface Pro to my college granddaughter and she loves it. Says it is the best computer she has ever had. Go figure.

Back