• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Highway pegs on '98 K1200RS?

tri650

Just purchased a 98 K1200RS and dealing with a bum left knee. Does not like to bend and after about 20 minutes in the tucked position it begins to ache. I replaced the stock pegs with some old Triumph Tiger pegs which lowered it about 1.5 ". Added some seat height also. Neither of these was enough. Was wondering if there is any way wot attach highway pegs. I took off the belly pan plastic and see a threaded area on each side of the oil pan. See pic. Basically right where I would want to mount the pegs. Would need to fabricate something that would then stick out from belly pan on each side - through a hole I would need to figure out. Any thoughts?
IMG_0775.jpg

Hello,

The bolt holes in the oil pan (one in front and one at the rear) and the engine mount in front are used for mounting the engine protection bars. If you found a set of engine protection bars you may be able to mount highway pegs on them.

Regards,

Richard Flood

Put together a different option. Fabricated a piece that is tied into the footpeg bracket. Finishing this soon and will post pics. I think this is a more sound decision as I am not tied into engine and will not need to cut belly pan. Just looking for some short relief.

New solution

I came up with an alternative solution. Took some 3/16" bar steel and cut out an arm that fits behind the foot peg mount. I tried going over the top but it interfered with the shift lever. Went underneath and that worked just fine. Added pegs I bought for $9. I am upgrading the pegs to a longer and wider option. I like this position better. More forward and down. Will be doing some long test riding to make sure everything works. So far it feels like it will do the job. Will also likely powdercoat.
IMG_0788.JPG

Nice work! I notice the original peg has a nub which I presume is there to kick the pedal back for extreme lean angles. Do you have any concerns for the new forward peg? Looks like it might hit before most anything else.

Nice work! I notice the original peg has a nub which I presume is there to kick the pedal back for extreme lean angles.

It's a metal feeler peg to give you a warning.
You'll hear and feel it when it touches down. The peg will also fold up and back before any hard parts touch.

Not too worried about the highway peg scraping as I can move it back up when not in use. I see this as only temporary relief when on a nice straight and long road. The new pegs I ordered are longer and wider. I am guessing they will be more comfortable. Regardless, I am very happy that I was able to get some forward relief for my left knee.

Back