• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

which Rotella?

EUGENE

I have been using Rotella T 15w/40 in my bike. Now this year I find out there is three kinds, T4, T5 and T6. What do I use???:scratch

You've not said which you are looking for, but my recollection is that most F-series bikes call for 15w50 Semi-Synthetic.
BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Pro oil SAE 15W-50

If you want to run a 15w40 Rotella, I would suggest their T6 as it is fully synthetic and therefore should provide as good or better protection as the original spec.

The differences between the Rotella offerings you listed are:
T4-dino (regular mineral oil)
T5 synthetic blend
T6 full synthetic

Not sure about T4 and T5 but my Rotella T6 is JASO MA2 certified, which is what you want for an F-series.

oil

You've not said which you are looking for, but my recollection is that most F-series bikes call for 15w50 Semi-Synthetic.

If you want to run a 15w40 Rotella, I would suggest their T6 as it is fully synthetic and therefore should provide as good or better protection as the original spec.

The differences between the Rotella offerings you listed are:
T4-dino (regular mineral oil)
T5 synthetic blend
T6 full synthetic

Not sure about T4 and T5 but my Rotella T6 is JASO MA2 certified, which is what you want for an F-series.

Semi- synthetic is equal to synthetic blend, yes?:scratch So that means T5.

Last edited:
Yes. Sorry, I wasn't very specific there.

One should note that there are several brands (Castrol, etc.) that due to a court ruling, are able to sell a blend (that meets specific requirements) as full synthetic. But for my money, you can't go wrong with Rotella, provided you are using the right oil type and grade for your application.

I've been using Rotella T-6 since I bought my GT. I'm at 34,000 miles and it isn't using any oil that I can tell.

BTW, Shell has a $7 off rebate on a gallon of T-6.

The viscosity spec for a 2007 F800 engine is 10W40. Unless you are a winter rider 15W40 would be OK. The spec does not require synthetic but it certainly is acceptable.

You can do some research on the Internet for yourself and get a lot of opinions...that are probably no better than what you'll find here. Even on the Bob's the Oil Guy forum, the "experts" are probably just posters who have been there awhile and had their oil analyzed. I doubt many engineers who design engines spend much time on this forum, or that one.

My personal opinion is to either go with a full synthetic, or conventional oil. A "semi-synthetic" IMHO is a waste of money. I haven't seen a percentage of how much "synthetic" oil is actually in a "semi-synthetic" oil container. Is it 70%? 50%? 30%? 10%? I don't think you'll find it defined, and I'll bet it is toward the lower ratios.

However, you pay almost as much for a semi-synthetic as you do for a synthetic.

Oil purists will get upset at this idea, but I wonder what the difference would really be if you blended the conventional oil of any brand with the synthetic oil of the same brand in the ratio you wanted to come up with. Would it be any difference in buying a "semi-synthetic"? It's just a rhetorical question. I'll stick with the T6 that I've been using now for about 130,000+ miles.

Chris

Check the spec it seems T5 doesn't meet what the bike requires, T4 and T6 apparently do.
Just came across this in a thread where somebody had issues with clutch after an oil change.
As everything was scrutinized until the real problem was found, the T5 spec being wrong came up.

Hope this helps.

P.S. he had it overfilled 0.25L and all was well after removing it. And he had planned to switch from T5 soonish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shell Rotella T-6 is no longer "certified" for use in gasoline engines. It will not carry the API rating on the container. Is it different from the T-6 I have been using in the RT? They won't say what changed, I called the tech center here in Houston. But know that they no longer recommend it for use in gasoline engines. Probably marketing.

Shame, as it was the only readily available oil that met every spec for use in the Wethead Boxer.

The JASO rating is what you should be more concerned about. Here's a quote from the Oil Specifications page that explains the rating well. https://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php

JASO JASO Oil Specifications
2T specifications
Japeneese motorcycle manufacturers found the limits demanded by the API TC specifications too loose. Oils meeting the API TC standard still produced excessive smoke and could not prevent exhaust blocking. Therefore the Japanese Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (JASO) introduced the following specifications:

JASO FA
Original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.
JASO FB
Increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.
JASO FC
Lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.
JASO FD
Same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.
Find out more about JASO's 2T specifications from their website.

4T specifications
Modern passenger car engine oils contain more and more friction modifiers. While this is the good thing for those segments (reduces wear and fuel consumption) it's bad for the motorcycles. At least for those motorcycles which use engine oil to lubricate their transmission and wet clutch. JASO introduced the MA and MB specification to distinguish between friction modified and non friction modified engine oils. Most four-stroke motorcycles with wet clutches need a JASO MA oil.

JASO MA
Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with one oil system for engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. Fluid is non-friction modified.
JASO MB
MB grade oils are classified as the lowest friction oils among motorcycle four-cycle oils. Not to be used where a JASO MA grade oil is required.
Find out more about theJASO MA and JASO MB specs.

Shell Advance ULTRA 4T Synthetic

My 2017 F700GS requires JASO MA2, 15W/50. I use "Shell Advance ULTRA 4T Synthetic" available at Advance Auto Parts.

/Guenther

I thought oil threads weren't supposed to start until winter. Is this a sign of a harsh winter like thicker corn husks or woodpeckers sharing a tree?

changes in rotella

I have an oil change coming up. The last time I checked I did not fine so many types of Rotellas. That is why I ask the question.:scratch F models are essay to change oil.

Back