Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: which Rotella?

which Rotella?

I have been using Rotella T 15w/40 in my bike. Now this year I find out there is three kinds, T4, T5 and T6. What do I use???

What does your owner’s manual specify for viscosity, API rating and JASO-MA2 rating?
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

This is a 07 F800ST model. All the manual says is API CLASS SF to SH.

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    You've not said which you are looking for, but my recollection is that most F-series bikes call for 15w50 Semi-Synthetic.
    BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Pro oil SAE 15W-50
    If you want to run a 15w40 Rotella, I would suggest their T6 as it is fully synthetic and therefore should provide as good or better protection as the original spec.

The differences between the Rotella offerings you listed are:
    T4-dino (regular mineral oil)
    T5 synthetic blend
    T6 full synthetic

Not sure about T4 and T5 but my Rotella T6 is JASO MA2 certified, which is what you want for an F-series.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

oil

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    You've not said which you are looking for, but my recollection is that most F-series bikes call for 15w50 Semi-Synthetic.

If you want to run a 15w40 Rotella, I would suggest their T6 as it is fully synthetic and therefore should provide as good or better protection as the original spec.

The differences between the Rotella offerings you listed are:
    T4-dino (regular mineral oil)
    T5 synthetic blend
    T6 full synthetic

Not sure about T4 and T5 but my Rotella T6 is JASO MA2 certified, which is what you want for an F-series.
    Semi- synthetic is equal to synthetic blend, yes? So that means T5.
    Last edited by EUGENE; 09-11-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: addition

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Yes. Sorry, I wasn't very specific there.

One should note that there are several brands (Castrol, etc.) that due to a court ruling, are able to sell a blend (that meets specific requirements) as full synthetic. But for my money, you can't go wrong with Rotella, provided you are using the right oil type and grade for your application.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

I've been using Rotella T-6 since I bought my GT. I'm at 34,000 miles and it isn't using any oil that I can tell.

BTW, Shell has a $7 off rebate on a gallon of T-6.
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

The viscosity spec for a 2007 F800 engine is 10W40. Unless you are a winter rider 15W40 would be OK. The spec does not require synthetic but it certainly is acceptable.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

You can do some research on the Internet for yourself and get a lot of opinions...that are probably no better than what you'll find here. Even on the Bob's the Oil Guy forum, the "experts" are probably just posters who have been there awhile and had their oil analyzed. I doubt many engineers who design engines spend much time on this forum, or that one.

My personal opinion is to either go with a full synthetic, or conventional oil. A "semi-synthetic" IMHO is a waste of money. I haven't seen a percentage of how much "synthetic" oil is actually in a "semi-synthetic" oil container. Is it 70%? 50%? 30%? 10%? I don't think you'll find it defined, and I'll bet it is toward the lower ratios.

However, you pay almost as much for a semi-synthetic as you do for a synthetic.

Oil purists will get upset at this idea, but I wonder what the difference would really be if you blended the conventional oil of any brand with the synthetic oil of the same brand in the ratio you wanted to come up with. Would it be any difference in buying a "semi-synthetic"? It's just a rhetorical question. I'll stick with the T6 that I've been using now for about 130,000+ miles.

Chris

Check the spec it seems T5 doesn't meet what the bike requires, T4 and T6 apparently do.
    Just came across this in a thread where somebody had issues with clutch after an oil change.
    As everything was scrutinized until the real problem was found, the T5 spec being wrong came up.

Hope this helps.

P.S. he had it overfilled 0.25L and all was well after removing it. And he had planned to switch from T5 soonish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    Shell Rotella T-6 is no longer "certified" for use in gasoline engines. It will not carry the API rating on the container. Is it different from the T-6 I have been using in the RT? They won't say what changed, I called the tech center here in Houston. But know that they no longer recommend it for use in gasoline engines. Probably marketing.

Shame, as it was the only readily available oil that met every spec for use in the Wethead Boxer.

The JASO rating is what you should be more concerned about. Here's a quote from the Oil Specifications page that explains the rating well. https://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php

JASO JASO Oil Specifications
    2T specifications
    Japeneese motorcycle manufacturers found the limits demanded by the API TC specifications too loose. Oils meeting the API TC standard still produced excessive smoke and could not prevent exhaust blocking. Therefore the Japanese Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (JASO) introduced the following specifications:

JASO FA
    Original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.
    JASO FB
    Increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.
    JASO FC
    Lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.
    JASO FD
    Same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.
    Find out more about JASO's 2T specifications from their website.

4T specifications
    Modern passenger car engine oils contain more and more friction modifiers. While this is the good thing for those segments (reduces wear and fuel consumption) it's bad for the motorcycles. At least for those motorcycles which use engine oil to lubricate their transmission and wet clutch. JASO introduced the MA and MB specification to distinguish between friction modified and non friction modified engine oils. Most four-stroke motorcycles with wet clutches need a JASO MA oil.

JASO MA
    Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with one oil system for engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. Fluid is non-friction modified.
    JASO MB
    MB grade oils are classified as the lowest friction oils among motorcycle four-cycle oils. Not to be used where a JASO MA grade oil is required.
    Find out more about theJASO MA and JASO MB specs.

Shell Advance ULTRA 4T Synthetic

My 2017 F700GS requires JASO MA2, 15W/50. I use "Shell Advance ULTRA 4T Synthetic" available at Advance Auto Parts.

/Guenther
    1989 R100GS, 2017 F700GS

I thought oil threads weren't supposed to start until winter. Is this a sign of a harsh winter like thicker corn husks or woodpeckers sharing a tree?
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    I thought oil threads weren't supposed to start until winter. Is this a sign of a harsh winter like thicker corn husks or woodpeckers sharing a tree?
    Guilty!

Now back to my planned motorcycle tour to the South Pole this winter...

/Guenther
    1989 R100GS, 2017 F700GS