• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Valve Adjustment Shims for GSW: where to buy?

Nothing appropriate on Beemer Boneyard.

Nor on the parts fiche on Max BMW.

Is there a kit I can buy?

REALOEM Fiche

Max BMW is acting strange these days. If it works for you then look at diagram 11_5221, Item #7 or try the link above. It's called an "Adjusting Plate."

RealOEM lets you input the last-7 of your VIN to make sure have the correct model.

Spot on
Just ordered a set for me $59 prime to ca.

Thanks

Jim

FYI. My bmw mechanic friend recommends having a spare set of valve cover gaskets, as a rule they change them out, reduces possibility of comebacks for leaks

Spot on

Thanks

Jim

FYI. My bmw mechanic friend recommends having a spare set of valve cover gaskets, as a rule they change them out, reduces possibility of comebacks for leaks

I found out the hard way on a trip that those gaskets can leak.. Fortunately my dealer warranted the offending seal after needing RTV gasket sealer.. Never ever happened with my oil-heads....:hungover
IIRC they are very expensive!

I'd hate to spend north of $60 to buy 61 shims I wouldn't need (assuming I even need to adjust any of them - and what do you do if four are out by the same amount as the kit only comes with three of each). I get that it's inconvenient to figure out which ones you need and then have to wait for delivery and there's no dollar savings if you need to change out all of them but I'd rather not have to keep a bunch around that I may never use. Food for thought...

Spot on

Thanks

Jim

Thanks. What do you think of the after market valve cover bolts? The one screwed with Allen screws instead of torx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd hate to spend north of $60 to buy 61 shims I wouldn't need (assuming I even need to adjust any of them - and what do you do if four are out by the same amount as the kit only comes with three of each). I get that it's inconvenient to figure out which ones you need and then have to wait for delivery and there's no dollar savings if you need to change out all of them but I'd rather not have to keep a bunch around that I may never use. Food for thought...

I think the savings from doing the adjustment yourself more than justifies that, right?

The way to save money on this is to measure all of your shims and keep a record of each location, so when they are out of spec you'll will know if you can move a few around or need to buy a different size.

Jay

The way to save money on this is to measure all of your shims and keep a record of each location, so when they are out of spec you'll will know if you can move a few around or need to buy a different size.

Jay
Good advice. My 48K check required adjustments on 7 valves. By repurposing the shims on hand, I only had to buy 3 shims at $9.10 each. I got mine from Bob's as my local dealer did not have my sizes in stock. It makes me wonder how they do valve service without maintaining inventory. No magnet required as I used a small dab of grease to hold the shim in the rocker.

Doug

I plan on making a crib sheet for all clearances, those that get changed will be noted
My buddies have LCRTs and GS’s so we will put to good use
Plan on re using old bolts
Gaskets if the look good will also get reused(keeping new ones as spares)
Like most have said valves seem to all be inspec, my luck I’ll start the project on a weekend and will need a part with dealer closed, my main reason for purchasing shims

Jim

I think the savings from doing the adjustment yourself more than justifies that, right?

I would never pay someone to do my valve clearance check so there's no saving there to reap (not knocking anyone that pays BTY as not everyone has the time or knowledge to do this themselves). Ten years from now I'll have is 3/4 box full of sims I'll likely never use or, more likely, will just forget I have after they get sucked into the spare parts singularity.

EXACTLY! The reality is that I'll only need a small handful of shims over the time I have my ride. That box makes sense if you are doing a bunch of bikes (like a professional shop or just an amateur wrencher helping out your buddies). With shipping as fast as it is these days I'd just figure out which ones I need and just order them (I'd put the covers back on and do something else for the couple of days it would take to get them).

Some would say I'm cheap and...well...yeah I guess if the shoe fits...I'm good with that. :cool:

My experience is that here in the Phoenix area, none of the dealers stock shims (that they will sell you anyway). I bought a set from Amazon and intend to share them with any locals that may need them. If I have a size they need, then I would swap them for the one they take off of their bike. So far, no need for the shims though!

Grease on the shim seems like a bad way to go. Wouldn't that increase the thickness of the shim? We are talking thousands of an inch here.

Back