Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adjusting tire pressures based on ambient temperatures

Back in the day the rule of thumb was a 10% increase in tire pressure between cold and hot.
    If you started out at 30psi cold, the psi should be 10% or 3 lbs more when hot.
    If you weren't achieving that then start at a different psi when cold and reevaluate.
    I used this with good success on both bikes and cars.

These days I'm too old and lazy.
    I just start out with the proper cold psi.

The 10% rule refers to bias ply tires I believe.

My cold tire pressure, whenever I inflate the tire first thing in the day, is the recommended pressure in the users manual.
    Walter

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by fmdualexhaust View Post
    Back in the day the rule of thumb was a 10% increase in tire pressure between cold and hot.
    If you started out at 30psi cold, the psi should be 10% or 3 lbs more when hot.
    If you weren't achieving that then start at a different psi when cold and reevaluate.
    I used this with good success on both bikes and cars.

Practically, really, are you gonna take an IR gun and shoot your tires every 39 minutes and inflate/deflate? Are you gonna have an onboard compressor to adjust?

The true reality is that margin of error in your tire pressure gauge can be 2-3%, unless you spend $$$ every 6 months to calibrate.

1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Practically, really, are you gonna take an IR gun and shoot your tires every 39 minutes and inflate/deflate? Are you gonna have an onboard compressor to adjust?

The true reality is that margin of error in your tire pressure gauge can be 2-3%, unless you spend $$$ every 6 months to calibrate.

I have an on board compressor in a pannier, accurate pressure gauge [ as tested by a calibrated machine ] along with jump starter and patch kits at all times. Wouldn't ride anywhere without them along with other gear/items like rain suit, med kit etc.

When you're waking up at Laird Hot Springs in a tent, there's no compressor at the camp site to check tire pressures before heading out on the road. Better have that compressor and gauge if for some reason the tire runs near flat or flat over night in the middle of nowhere. Out on a fire road, same, there's you and what ya brought to get you back, unless one likes walking. Even between exits on a thruway, I'm not gonna get caught without a compressor, patch kit and have to walk or call for someone to get me and the bike.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr