Thread: Clutch cable replacement

Clutch cable replacement

I installed a new pair of clutch cables in the '76 R90S this afternoon. The process went reasonably smoothly until I attempted to mount the adjustment mechanism to the engine case. The center bolt did not attach to the engine case. When I disassembled the choke unit and attempted to insert just the bolt, it was obvious that there were no threads in the engine case. This left me a bit confused. The clutch mechanism was quite secure when I removed it. Am I missing something. Did the threads in the engine case magically disappear.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

rickt

Quote Originally Posted by r65lsk75c View Post
    I installed a new pair of clutch cables in the '76 R90S this afternoon. The process went reasonably smoothly until I attempted to mount the adjustment mechanism to the engine case. The center bolt did not attach to the engine case. When I disassembled the choke unit and attempted to insert just the bolt, it was obvious that there were no threads in the engine case. This left me a bit confused. The clutch mechanism was quite secure when I removed it. Am I missing something. Did the threads in the engine case magically disappear.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

rickt
    The description is a little confusing. Are you talking about the choke lever thatís mounted to the left side of the engine by the air box? If so, thereís a nut on the inside. If you unscrewed the lever from the outside, the nut fell down, washer too.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Per Michael. ^^^ The "CHOKE" mechanism is secured by a nut on the backside of the air cleaner housing. It probably fell off when you removed the mechanism.

Photo Source: https://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcyle...rs-and-cables/
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Yes this now makes sense

It appears that I have now created an additional problem which leads me to the obvious question: How difficult will it be to recover the fallen nut?

rickt

Answer to my question

I should have realized that the answer to my question was obvious. I will need to remove the air filter housing once again. Just changed the filter a week ago. I appreciate the responses.

rickt

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    It appears that I have now created an additional problem which leads me to the obvious question: How difficult will it be to recover the fallen nut?

rickt
    If you are lucky, and have not started the motor, you should be able to remove the air tube going to the carb, remove the air box pieces and you should see the nut right there. If you started the motor and are unlucky, you might have sucked the nut into the carb. Either way, you should know soon enough.

Friedle

BTW I assume you meant choke cable, not clutch cable in your initial inquiry. Have you joined the Airheads Beemer Club yet? www.airheads.org
    Ride fast safely

choke nut

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    If you are lucky, and have not started the motor, you should be able to remove the air tube going to the carb, remove the air box pieces and you should see the nut right there. If you started the motor and are unlucky, you might have sucked the nut into the carb. Either way, you should know soon enough.

Friedle

BTW I assume you meant choke cable, not clutch cable in your initial inquiry. Have you joined the Airheads Beemer Club yet? www.airheads.org
    Excuse my ignorance but if the air filter is in place, and the choke nut falls off, I don't see how it could get into the intake tract and into the engine.

RickR90s

True enough IFF the filter is in place.... but do not overlook the breather tube...

Nut and washer recovered

Please excuse my use of incorrect terminology. The stroke that I experienced several years ago results in my frequent choice of incorrect words. Indeed, the problem was the choke cable. I removed the engine cover and the nut and washer were laying nicely below the air filter. I had started the bike and was grateful that these parts were easily recovered. As things typically go for me, I am anticipating another problem. Upon initial evaluation no free play was observed with either of the new choke cables. I believe that the adjustment screws on both carbs are set to allow maximum free play. Is there something very basic that I'm missing?

Another quick question: Would there be any problems if I were to gorilla glue the nut and washer to the inside of the engine case? This would, in theory allow me to remove the choke screw without needing to pull off the engine case.

rickt

choke cables

Please excuse my use of incorrect terminology. The stroke that I experienced several years ago results in my frequent choice of incorrect words. Indeed, the problem was the choke cable. I removed the engine cover and the nut and washer were laying nicely below the air filter. I had started the bike and was grateful that these parts were easily recovered. As things typically go for me, I am anticipating another problem. Upon initial evaluation no free play was observed with either of the new choke cables. I believe that the adjustment screws on both carbs are set to allow maximum free play. Is there something very basic that I'm missing?

Another quick question: Would there be any problems if I were to gorilla glue the nut and washer to the inside of the engine case? This would, in theory allow me to remove the choke screw without needing to pull off the engine case.

rickt
    Funny you mention the choke cables/no free play. I bought a new set from MaxBMW and went to install them on my stock Dellorto's and damn, I also have no freeplay at the adjusters on the carbs. I removed the new cables and compared them to the old and sure enough, the old ones are maybe 1 or 2mm longer, but more importantly, the sheath length is shorter. Although I think that the Dellorto choke cables are unique.

I have an email to Max, awaiting an answer.

I also have had new BMW cables from dealer not fitting correctly, not the choke but for the front brake. Maybe OEM vendors have changed on replacement cables.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours

Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    Funny you mention the choke cables/no free play. I bought a new set from MaxBMW and went to install them on my stock Dellorto's and damn, I also have no freeplay at the adjusters on the carbs. I removed the new cables and compared them to the old and sure enough, the old ones are maybe 1 or 2mm longer, but more importantly, the sheath length is shorter. Although I think that the Dellorto choke cables are unique.

I have an email to Max, awaiting an answer.
    Please let me know what you hear from MaxBMW. My new choke cables have the BMW logo. Mine were purchased from A&S BMW.