OP - check your PM's

~Thom
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

3 Red Bricks
    [QUOTE=PGlaves;1142375]
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post

If I were to plug one of these driveshafts I would get a can of expanding foam insulation of the type used to insulate around electrical boxes and leaky window frames and such, and fill the driveshaft with it. If the splined portion of the shaft were well greased, removing the expanded foam from the splines would be pretty easy.
    Paul,

While I agree that theoretically that might work, until someone actually tries it ands sees what unforseen problems or what the long term results are, I wouldn't recommend it to any one, esspecially a newbie like the OP.

There is plenty of evidence that lubing often with the proper lube leads to long spline life. Not so much on how that foam stands up to heat and grease or how easy it is to get out of spines either during installation or over time.

Yes, I had thought of the same method before, but it wouldn't change my schedule of lubing the splines that works well, so why risk it?

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

[QUOTE=98lee;1142395]
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

Paul,

While I agree that theoretically that might work, until someone actually tries it ands sees what unforseen problems or what the long term results are, I wouldn't recommend it to any one, esspecially a newbie like the OP.

There is plenty of evidence that lubing often with the proper lube leads to long spline life. Not so much on how that foam stands up to heat and grease or how easy it is to get out of spines either during installation or over time.

Yes, I had thought of the same method before, but it wouldn't change my schedule of lubing the splines that works well, so why risk it?

I don't disagree, Lee. I don't see a real downside but have lots of K miles on stock shafts with not a lot of wear due to lubrication every tire change. It only adds about 15 minutes to my routine.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

This link may be of help to a new K-bike owner...

http://www.verrill.com/moto/newkbike.shtml

Lots of good info there!

Enjoy, and congrats!!

Thanks for all the tips!!!!

Merry Christmas and thank you all for the great tips. I posted my original post the day I made the offer to buy the bike. I was going to pick it up the next week. The owner took it for a ride the next day and decided not to sell. I was bummed. BUT I kept looking and found another one and did buy it. 1995 with 37k miles. most recent owner put 8k on it and kept up the maintenance so I have a good starting point. I do plan to clean it up and look for all the small stuff I didn't catch. I have a few questions.
    Is there a youtube on how to remove the gas tank so that I don't spill a lot of gas?
    do you recommend taking off the gas tank filler cap to make it easier to inspect inside the tank?
    can you recommend a website that offers good quality parts at a a reasonable price?

thanks in advance for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by barryin View Post
    My K75 was similar when I got it last year. A 1992 with 12k miles, and I didnít know if that was a few hundred a year, all in the first six months, or what. I replaced every filter, every rubber line and hose, all fluids, cleaned every electrical connection I could access, etc. I donít regret any of that, and sure feel better after seeing what came off/came out. The spline condition looked really good, but Iím still glad I did it.

I kept reading that Ks donít mechanically handle limited use well, but I think thatís true of most things. I just wouldnít want to ride around with any of those things being an unknown.
    As another "Barry in Indiana" I can configure this Barry in Indiana's opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by rjayson View Post
    Merry Christmas and thank you all for the great tips. I posted my original post the day I made the offer to buy the bike. I was going to pick it up the next week. The owner took it for a ride the next day and decided not to sell. I was bummed. BUT I kept looking and found another one and did buy it. 1995 with 37k miles. most recent owner put 8k on it and kept up the maintenance so I have a good starting point. I do plan to clean it up and look for all the small stuff I didn't catch. I have a few questions.
    Is there a youtube on how to remove the gas tank so that I don't spill a lot of gas?
    do you recommend taking off the gas tank filler cap to make it easier to inspect inside the tank?
    can you recommend a website that offers good quality parts at a a reasonable price?

thanks in advance for your replies.
    congrats on the find.

yes, take the filler cap off. 4 screws. 30 second job.
    drain the tank before taking it off. less mess and much lighter to deal with.
    many good parts sources...including the dealers. beemerboneyard, beemershop, etc.

while this forum is good, the better source for brick tech info, how to's and advice is www.motobrick.com. some characters over there, but a TON of knowledge about bricks.

here is a kick start on some procedures..
    http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,10043.0.html

ps - you need to update your forum profile with location, what bike you have and your name.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

Talking

[QUOTE=mlytle;1150863]congrats on the find.

while this forum is good, the better source for brick tech info, how to's and advice is www.motobrick.com. some characters over there, but a TON of knowledge about bricks.

That's a tactful way to describe the folks that frequent motobrick.com.

JohnWC
    Quote Originally Posted by rjayson View Post
    can you recommend a website that offers good quality parts at a a reasonable price?.
    Congratulations on the new bike. Just a note: There is a gasket under the fuel filler cap and mine was shot when I took my filler off. I had to get a new one, you may also. And there is an "O" ring to seal the fuel sender unit to the tank which may also need to be ordered if you are going to change the fuel filter, etc. If the bike has sat at all you may need/want to replace the rubber sleeve that holds the fuel pump. On both K75s that I have worked on the sleeve had turned to a black goo. But then they had sat with old gas in them.