• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

new flying brick owner '93 K75

My K75 was similar when I got it last year. A 1992 with 12k miles, and I didn’t know if that was a few hundred a year, all in the first six months, or what. I replaced every filter, every rubber line and hose, all fluids, cleaned every electrical connection I could access, etc. I don’t regret any of that, and sure feel better after seeing what came off/came out. The spline condition looked really good, but I’m still glad I did it.

I kept reading that Ks don’t mechanically handle limited use well, but I think that’s true of most things. I just wouldn’t want to ride around with any of those things being an unknown.

As another "Barry in Indiana" I can configure this Barry in Indiana's opinions.

Merry Christmas and thank you all for the great tips. I posted my original post the day I made the offer to buy the bike. I was going to pick it up the next week. The owner took it for a ride the next day and decided not to sell. I was bummed. BUT I kept looking and found another one and did buy it. 1995 with 37k miles. most recent owner put 8k on it and kept up the maintenance so I have a good starting point. I do plan to clean it up and look for all the small stuff I didn't catch. I have a few questions.
Is there a youtube on how to remove the gas tank so that I don't spill a lot of gas?
do you recommend taking off the gas tank filler cap to make it easier to inspect inside the tank?
can you recommend a website that offers good quality parts at a a reasonable price?

thanks in advance for your replies.
congrats on the find.

yes, take the filler cap off. 4 screws. 30 second job.
drain the tank before taking it off. less mess and much lighter to deal with.
many good parts sources...including the dealers. beemerboneyard, beemershop, etc.

while this forum is good, the better source for brick tech info, how to's and advice is www.motobrick.com. some characters over there, but a TON of knowledge about bricks.

here is a kick start on some procedures..
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,10043.0.html

ps - you need to update your forum profile with location, what bike you have and your name.

Is there a youtube on how to remove the gas tank so that I don't spill a lot of gas?
do you recommend taking off the gas tank filler cap to make it easier to inspect inside the tank?
can you recommend a website that offers good quality parts at a a reasonable price?.

Congratulations on the new bike. Just a note: There is a gasket under the fuel filler cap and mine was shot when I took my filler off. I had to get a new one, you may also. And there is an "O" ring to seal the fuel sender unit to the tank which may also need to be ordered if you are going to change the fuel filter, etc. If the bike has sat at all you may need/want to replace the rubber sleeve that holds the fuel pump. On both K75s that I have worked on the sleeve had turned to a black goo. But then they had sat with old gas in them.

Back